Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MyQ unreliable, resort to Homelink?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BridgeMojo

Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2018
Monrovia, CA
Before trading in my 2018 S 100D for a 2023 MSLR, I installed a MyQ hub on my garage ceiling. It works pretty well through the phone app.

Why do that instead of Homelink? It works from a further distance (anywhere), and it gives positive door status "open" or "closed" instead of just the opposite of whatever state it's in.

MyQ link in the Tesla doesn't close the door about 50% of the time, and doesn't open the door about 20% of the time. On the touchscreen it reports "Error"

I reported that to Service, and today they sent a mobile tech. He said, "use homelink," and the problem belongs to MyQ, or Genie (not), but not Tesla.

Silly me, I tried the MyQ.com support chat, finally was routed to a human, and started explaining my problem in several messages. At that point the person on chat said "Hello?" so I repeated my problem, and then saw "Agent has ended chat."

Great. :(

Mojo

I just wouldnt trust anything that requires internet to open my garage door. Im a big fan of the myq system and have been using it since its inception, but I prefer physical hardware to open my garage door.

Which myq unit do you have? I own the original one that works flawlessly. I put the 2nd gen at my parents and I never got that thing to work right. I recently got their newest one for my parents and it works fine.

This is the one that I got them and it works fine. $19 bucks Amazon.com

Hmmm, we have been using the HomeLink in our MX for years and I don't ever recall a single time when the door didn't open or didn't close as expected.

I had a problem about a year ago where HomeLink was wildly unreliable.

Turns out ... it was my light bulb. I replaced the incandescent bulb that'd been in the opener since dirt was new with an LED one. Apparently, there's some RF interference from many LED bulbs that can step on the HomeLink frequencies.

They weren't cheap (~$10/ea bulb), but I bought some "compatible" LED bulbs directly from Chamberlain, and immediately solved the problem once and for all.

Aside from that, HomeLink has been perfect for us for many years.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I just wouldnt trust anything that requires internet to open my garage door. Im a big fan of the myq system and have been using it since its inception, but I prefer physical hardware to open my garage door.

Which myq unit do you have? I own the original one that works flawlessly. I put the 2nd gen at my parents and I never got that thing to work right. I recently got their newest one for my parents and it works fine.

This is the one that I got them and it works fine. $19 bucks Amazon.com
That's exactly the device I have, and yes it works quite well. It has a good internet connection, and it controls my Genie just fine. Works well through the app.

Isn't reliable from the MyQ link in the model S.

HomeLink always works for me.
Well sure, I can do that, and I will, but ...

At least in my 2018 Model S, it frequently wouldn't open the door unless I was in exactly the right spot. It would try, but the opener wouldn't pick up the signal. Usually if I backed up a little, I could repeat the open and it would work.

If I drive away when pulling out, it can't pick up the close signal. I have to back up just enough, wait, etc.

Then there's the problem that Homelink never knows the current state of the door. So if I come home and the door is open, it closes it.

Those are all the problems I was hoping to solve by using MyQ, but of course I traded for new problems. :(

I suppose there's a problem with the low power RF and the Genie opener that could be addressed.

Turns out ... it was my light bulb. I replaced the incandescent bulb that'd been in the opener since dirt was new with an LED one. Apparently, there's some RF interference from many LED bulbs that can step on the HomeLink frequencies.

They weren't cheap (~$10/ea bulb), but I bought some "compatible" LED bulbs directly from Chamberlain, and immediately solved the problem once and for all.

Fascinating. I'm sure I'm using an old incandescent bulb in my opener. I'll try swapping it out and see if that solves it.

I must be lucky. We have been using LED bulbs in the garage door opener as well as lighting in the garage. No issues.

Reactions: KrenGrl and dmurphy
I must be lucky. We have been using LED bulbs in the garage door opener as well as lighting in the garage. No issues.

It’s certainly not all LEDs - I also had an earlier one that worked fine. Unfortunately it bit the dust so whatever I replaced it with was the problem. That’s now also in the giant circular file in the sky.

• Helpful
Reactions: KrenGrl
Well sure, I can do that, and I will, but ...

At least in my 2018 Model S, it frequently wouldn't open the door unless I was in exactly the right spot. It would try, but the opener wouldn't pick up the signal. Usually if I backed up a little, I could repeat the open and it would work.

If I drive away when pulling out, it can't pick up the close signal. I have to back up just enough, wait, etc.

Then there's the problem that Homelink never knows the current state of the door. So if I come home and the door is open, it closes it.

Those are all the problems I was hoping to solve by using MyQ, but of course I traded for new problems. :(

I suppose there's a problem with the low power RF and the Genie opener that could be addressed.
We’ve owned 4 different Teslas with HomeLink, including a 2018 Model S, and we’ve never had issues with the garage not opening when approaching the house. I don’t know if there are conditions that can impact the strength of the HomeLink signal coming from the car, but you could try reprogramming HomeLink in the car, using fresh batteries in the remote.

I don’t have HomeLink set up to automatically close the garage door, I close it manually from the touchscreen. The fact that the car doesn’t know if the door is open or closed has never been an issue.

I have the same issue. I use both MyQ (when it works) and Homelink (when MyQ fails). I suspect the MyQ issue may be something related to internet connection between the MyQ hardware in the garage and home Wi-Fi (because of it seems that it is more likely to fail after a few hours of not being used, basically when your car sits in the garage overnight), but I never bothered to actually troubleshoot it.