Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't setup Homelink, with either Standard mode and DM mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I live in an apartment complex so the entry and exists to the complex are via a guard gate, actually 3 guard gates, i.e. 3 separate Inbound and 2 Separate outbound gates.
I purchased Homelink from Tesla a few months after I purchased my car, and they came out and installed the Homelink device and programed 3 gates that I use.
A few months ago,management decided to reroute "traffic" so I started using the 2 other (Incoming and Outgoing) gates.
I was unaware that Homelink was limited to 3 Incoming and/or Outgoing gates so when I programed the 2 new gates, I lost connection to 2 other gates that I was using.
And if that wasn't bad enough, the "new" gates that I programed didn't work and soon afterward, the 1 original gate that I had that was working, I inadvertently programmed and it also didn't work so I had Homelink and wasn't able to use it.
In any event, I rebooted the Tesla display and went to one of the gates that I used most frequent and first tried to program the Outbound gate.
I had Homelink in DM setup mode, pressed connect, and 2-3 seconds later, it read that it WAS CONNECTED.
I didn't think that it really was connected and backed up about 50 feet, the went forward to the guard gate and the Outbound icon popped up on the display but the gate didn't open.
I tried programming it again and the exact same thing happened so I tried Standard Mode, knowing that it wouldn't work but I might as well try and it tried to configure fora few minutes and then advised me connection failed, try again.
I went to another gate and did the same thing, configure using DM mode with the same results, that is 2-3 seconds later I was advised that I am connected, the 2nd Outbound icon appeared on my display and when I touched the Outbound, it disappeared and the date didn't open.
I have no idea what to do next and Tesla as always, is not very helpfully so any suggestions, thoughts, ideas,...that you can offer, would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Bob

Is your apartment gate homelink compatible or is it using another secured protocol. My current apartment uses more secured protocol and it can't be copied on homelink. Looked at their website and it said it's not compatible with homelink. My previous apartment was homelink and Tesla copied it easily

Reactions: ATPMSD
Is your apartment gate homelink compatible or is it using another secured protocol. My current apartment uses more secured protocol and it can't be copied on homelink. Looked at their website and it said it's not compatible with homelink. My previous apartment was homelink and Tesla copied it easily
OP mentioned that it was already programmed to 3 of the gates by the service tech.

To the OP, my suggestion is to just keep trying and making sure nothing in the instructions is missed.

The service tech programmed my homelink without much fuss, but later, when I inadvertently wiped it, it was difficult for me to reprogram it. Especially when I was trying at the distance range of my receiver... which may be an issue for the gates. Where is the receiver relative to the car when trying to program it.

Thank you guys.
I am in a retirement complex and there are roughly 500 apartments in the complex so the gates are usually busy.
I have tried to program them, using DM mode early in the morning, when most people are not driving so I am able to get within 10-15 feet from the gate.
If I get closer, the security guard will recognize me or my car and open the gate.
BTW, I read the reply last night which didn't say much so this morning I decided to contact Tesla to see if they might be able to help and made an appointment and in the explanation of my issue, I stated that my issue is a software issue that doesn't not require Tesla to come here..
They wrote back that Homelink might need to be replaced so that would explain why I am running into these glitches.
And fyi, contacting Tesla needs to be done via a smartphone and I access the TMC website, via my Desktop computer which is the reason that I didn't see your messages until now.
I am going to get back to Tesla and will keep you updated.
Thank you again for your help guys.
Bob

Reactions: ATPMSD
Hello again guys.
This really is not an update but something new for me.
I have an appointment on March 21 at the Tesla dealership.
This is the fits time that they have not come to my residence and I assume that remotely confirmed that Homelink is defective.
Anyway, I am looking forward to being able to enter and exit without the security gate guards help and thank y'all for your help
Bob

Hi. I live in an apartment complex so the entry and exists to the complex are via a guard gate, actually 3 guard gates, i.e. 3 separate Inbound and 2 Separate outbound gates.
I purchased Homelink from Tesla a few months after I purchased my car, and they came out and installed the Homelink device and programed 3 gates that I use.
A few months ago,management decided to reroute "traffic" so I started using the 2 other (Incoming and Outgoing) gates.
I was unaware that Homelink was limited to 3 Incoming and/or Outgoing gates so when I programed the 2 new gates, I lost connection to 2 other gates that I was using.
And if that wasn't bad enough, the "new" gates that I programed didn't work and soon afterward, the 1 original gate that I had that was working, I inadvertently programmed and it also didn't work so I had Homelink and wasn't able to use it.
In any event, I rebooted the Tesla display and went to one of the gates that I used most frequent and first tried to program the Outbound gate.
I had Homelink in DM setup mode, pressed connect, and 2-3 seconds later, it read that it WAS CONNECTED.
I didn't think that it really was connected and backed up about 50 feet, the went forward to the guard gate and the Outbound icon popped up on the display but the gate didn't open.
I tried programming it again and the exact same thing happened so I tried Standard Mode, knowing that it wouldn't work but I might as well try and it tried to configure fora few minutes and then advised me connection failed, try again.
I went to another gate and did the same thing, configure using DM mode with the same results, that is 2-3 seconds later I was advised that I am connected, the 2nd Outbound icon appeared on my display and when I touched the Outbound, it disappeared and the date didn't open.
I have no idea what to do next and Tesla as always, is not very helpfully so any suggestions, thoughts, ideas,...that you can offer, would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Bob
Bob

If nothing has changed with the gates in your apartment complex you simply have to delete everything in your car HomeLink module and reprogram the gates you want. If it worked before no reason it will not work now as long as management have not changed the system.

Hi guys.
I am now able to open and close the 3 gates in my community but have another issue that maybe you can help me with.
When I clink on the appropriate Homelink icon, the gate opens but my side view mirrors close.
Any thoughts of what may be going on?
Thank you
Bob

Thank you Sai.
Thanks a little presumptuous on Tesla part being that they know where my parking space is and direct me to it after I enter the complex.
But it is what it is and will even get more confusing when AI is incorporated.
Thank you for your help Sai
Bob

I'm back again Sai.
You advised me to You need to disable fold mirrors at home
I was able to locate how to adjust Left or Right mirrors but not enable or disable mirrors, and when I used Voice Commands, it fold Fold the mirrors.
So if you don't mind Sai, can please please advise me where I can find the screen to disable fold mirrors at home?
And on an unrelated matter, you have any idea when Self Park, that disappeared about 6 months ago, be reintroduced?
Thank you Sai
Bob

I'm back again Sai.
I was able to locate how to adjust Left or Right mirrors but not enable or disable mirrors, and when I used Voice Commands, it fold Fold the mirrors.
So if you don't mind Sai, can please please advise me where I can find the screen to disable fold mirrors at home?
And on an unrelated matter, you have any idea when Self Park, that disappeared about 6 months ago, be reintroduced?
Thank you Sai
Bob
Look in the security section of the menu

I'm back again Sai.
Thank you Sai
Bob
I hope you found the option to disable the auto fold mirrors at home.

Regarding self park I believe you need to have enhanced autopilot at minimum and also for vision system it's not enabled yet unless you are on latest software update

Hello Arvindm and that you for ALL your help.
I must be not following your directions correctly where you advised me to "Look in the security section of the menu".
I don't believe that I have changed "security" selections and thought that security would be under the CONTROLS menu, it is not so if you don't mind, I would appreciate it if you guide me to it.
As for Self Park, I purchased the software upgrade package when I purchased the vehicle and have auto drive but I am unaware of an enhanced Autopilot package. Is this a completely different upgrade to the one that I purchased?
Thank you Arvindm and I apologize for being such a pain in the a$$
Bob

What do you mean by software upgrade package? What package did you get ? Autodrive is a basic thing and it's free with each and every Tesla. EAP is $6000 package and FSD is $12000 package. EAP gives you summon, autopark, auto lane changes on top of Auto steer. FSD is everything including full self driving.

You need EAP for autopark at minimum. Regayrding the option for auto folding mirrors at home check the screen shot below

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240331-073556.png
    Screenshot_20240331-073556.png
    374.4 KB · Views: 11
Thank Sai.
I have the FSD package that was $10K when I purchased my Y in 202.
AutoPark was available since day one and was removed about 6 months ago supposedly for fine tuning this function and if it is on my vehicle, I can not did it and Voice commands is useless for Auto Park, it tells me that it's navigating to Auto Park.
As for mirrors, I don't recall seeing mirrors on Control Panel but I know how to access them and have made adjustments.
The issue that I have is to enter the complex where I live, I have to slowdown or sometimes stop, to press Homelink to open the gate so my speed is obviously going to be <31 mph and the mirrors fold.
That is not a problem when you are entering your own garage but my parking space is guesstimate 1/10 from the entry gate so I have no side view while I am driving to park my car.
Thank you again for your help and patients
Bob

Thank Sai.
I have the FSD package that was $10K when I purchased my Y in 202.
AutoPark was available since day one and was removed about 6 months ago supposedly for fine tuning this function and if it is on my vehicle, I can not did it and Voice commands is useless for Auto Park, it tells me that it's navigating to Auto Park.
As for mirrors, I don't recall seeing mirrors on Control Panel but I know how to access them and have made adjustments.
The issue that I have is to enter the complex where I live, I have to slowdown or sometimes stop, to press Homelink to open the gate so my speed is obviously going to be <31 mph and the mirrors fold.
That is not a problem when you are entering your own garage but my parking space is guesstimate 1/10 from the entry gate so I have no side view while I am driving to park my car.
Thank you again for your help and patients
Bob
Yes, you need to remove location for fold mirrors automatically

I'm back again Sai.
What do you mean by I need to "remove location for fold mirrors automatically"?
What location are you referring to?
I have my home set as a location in the navigation system, is this where I should remove location from and enter a Voice Command to take me my address?