Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink retrofit install failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • myQ knows the door is open or closed using a tilt/motion sensor affixed to the door.
  • Driver knows the door is open or closed based on visual clues.
  • HomeLink only knows if the door is open or closed if the opener supports HomeLink version 5 (the module Tesla's use does).
I have never had a garage door that supported the version 5 “is it open or not” features. Basically all of mine (including gate controllers where open/closed would be super handy) are entirely dumb “get signal open door” devices.

• myQ knows the door is open or closed using a tilt/motion sensor affixed to the door.
  • Driver knows the door is open or closed based on visual clues.
  • HomeLink only knows if the door is open or closed if the opener supports HomeLink version 5 (the module Tesla's use does).
Thanks, it's nice to know HomeLink version 5, I will keep an eye on the market for the next renovation!

Reactions: zroger73
Sometimes we temporarily park the car on the driveway, then just leave without opening the garage door, but Tesla "close" it when we leave, so it actually opens the garage door. And vice versa, we often don't need to open the garage door when we get home (especially when the door is already open and my father is watering the garden).

I've been using HomeKit to control garage doors for some years, and usually HomeKit controllers have a sensor to detect the door is open or close. I think it's the same for myQ Smart Garage Door Opener or myQ Wireless Smart Garage Hub (it comes with a Bluetooth sensor), they know the door is open or close.

So, in summary:
1. myQ knows door is open or close.
2. Driver knows door is open or close.
3. Only Tesla doesn't know.

I finally turned off Tesla HomeLink automation after using it for some days 😅
Homelink only works as a toggle based on location. It has no knowledge of the state of the your garage door. I recommend using visual cues and then using the "Activate" button in the car. That button is essentially like the remote clicker (and is present right next to Homelink Icon). Homelink automation is pretty primitive and is designed to work in standard situations where it opens the door when you come and closes it when you leave. That's all it can handle and works well in those situations. Anything beyond that, (like the ones you describe in your post) you'd need to use visual cues and use the activate button on the screen. MyQ on the other hand, does actually know the state of the door and is smart enough to function based on that. So it would function far better in situations where the door has been left open, etc. I have MyQ too but I did not want to pay three times for it (first for the garage opener, then for MyQ and then finally again for MyQ Subscription perpetually). Chamberlain has 90% of US garage opener market so I guess they can do whatever they want. And for my situation Homelink works perfectly so I am very happy with it. To each his own I guess.

Setup mobile service a few weeks ago when I got my new 3. Original estimate was $400+, and I messaged them to let them know I had the unit (from my Y). Told them it was new unit. Today’s estimate is $64.50 for “accessory install”. It’s for next Tuesday and I didn’t want to try the install myself.

• Informative
Reactions: zroger73