Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 won't look like other cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And this is what tata claim to be up to (it's a REEV):
http://www.tatamegapixel.com/images.asp

A similar approach to the doors:

View attachment 68562

That is somewhat like the Tesla Model C concept:
http://www.carscoops.com/2012/11/u-design-tesla-model-c-concept-study.html
Tesla-C-Concept-6%25255B2%25255D.jpg

(I like it...)

Elon's Q&A session yielded some hints at the Model 3 design!!! From the live text feed at http://live.theverge.com/elon-musk-tesla-detroit-auto-show-2015/

Musk says that some standard features on the Model S will be options on the Model 3, but he also wants it to be "way different from any other car on the road, in a way that's really useful, and just doesn't feel like a weirdmobile."

I read this to mean that any differences between Model 3 and previous automobiles will be differences that arise out of features that make the car better for customers, as opposed to differences just for the sake of differences.

I would just sell the III as a stripper Model S. Smaller battery, 0-60 in 12 seconds, smaller motors, lower quality textile interior, with the option to upgrade it as you grow in your career / lifestyle needs. They would satisfy the wall street folks and be able to use the existing assembly line (lowering the costs per unit).

I would just sell the III as a stripper Model S. Smaller battery, 0-60 in 12 seconds, smaller motors, lower quality textile interior, with the option to upgrade it as you grow in your career / lifestyle needs. They would satisfy the wall street folks and be able to use the existing assembly line (lowering the costs per unit).

That's not how Elon works. Better or not at all has been his track record so far.

That's not how Elon works. Better or not at all has been his track record so far.

Tesla also has some precedent for trying the smaller battery/slower option: the Model S 40 kWh. I remember that Elon cancelled this car because it didn't drive sufficiently awesome enough. I seriously doubt they would revisit what the company considered to be a lackluster product.

Um, a lot of the point is to have a smaller car. I don't want a big car.

That would be horrible. Tesla has already said it won't be a smaller Model S clone. The slowest current BMW 320i goes 0-60 in 7.1 seconds. Tesla should aim to outperform the 3-series at every level, including the M3. If they do that, they will sell every one they can produce.

....way different from any other car on the road.... just doesn't feel like a weirdmobile....

Well Elon's cleared up the ambiguity in his original tweet - it won't look like (any) other cars - rather than - it won't look like (our) other cars.

But I hope Tesla repeats the same approach taken with the Roadster, S and X in that outwardly they are all stylish/acceptable/desirable examples of their class - but the vehicle functionality across performance, interface, access/egress (maybe not so much with the Roadster on this one ; ) and seating/storage flexibility (or this one) is "way different".

30? Last I heard it was 35 without incentives.
What elon is hinting at is they want to design a car around people and not around engine.
why every car out there has a hood? To fit a big engine
no engine, no big/long hood.

Elon Musk reiterated today at Automotive News World Congress $35k before incentives.

Long hood also improves aerodynamics over short stubby hood and improves safety by creating a bigger crumple zone.

tesla_model_e.jpg

Long hood improves aerodynamics when you are driving backwards.
fish have big heads and long tails, remember?

Longer crumple zone on the other hand is true. But one can design a car to 'use' the crumple zone of the other car, like smart does.

Elon Musk reiterated today at Automotive News World Congress $35k before incentives.

Long hood also improves aerodynamics over short stubby hood and improves safety by creating a bigger crumple zone.

tesla_model_e.jpg

Unfortunately that is only a fan-created render, but if Model 3 actually looked like this, I would buy it in an instant. I think that design is absolutely perfect.

One thing to remember - model 3 is going to be designed to a budget: it needs to retail at $30,000.

So it is unlikely to have any expensive features like sliding/falcon doors etc.
Sliding doors are hardly expensive. And I really can't see why two big falcon doors would need to be significantly more expensive than four hinged doors. We're for the most part talking about mechanical components, which usually aren't very expensive, and you'd probably need fewer parts to make two falcon doors vs four hinged doors. Fewer parts means less complexity and lower cost.

Long hood improves aerodynamics when you are driving backwards.
fish have big heads and long tails, remember?

I was dusting off some long-languishing fluid dynamics over the past days - Raynolds Numbers and the like - and realized to my extremely unpleasant dismay that there is indeed a significant difference between turbulence characteristics in incompressible material, like water, and in a compressible medium, like air.

Soooo..... again, to my extreme frustration, we can't automatically use fishies and porposies and such as exemplars for automobile design.

Until we're building them as underwater vehicles, too..... :love:

I was dusting off some long-languishing fluid dynamics over the past days - Raynolds Numbers and the like - and realized to my extremely unpleasant dismay that there is indeed a significant difference between turbulence characteristics in incompressible material, like water, and in a compressible medium, like air.

Soooo..... again, to my extreme frustration, we can't automatically use fishies and porposies and such as exemplars for automobile design.

Until we're building them as underwater vehicles, too..... :love:
What about falling raindrops?