Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 won't look like other cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20% smaller than the S is still a decent size car.
My thoughts are if you take a 3 series, add an aerodynamic front bumper, change the trunk to a hatch with a higher trunk so head room on the back seat isn't compromised. That will be pretty close.
Obviously Elon will want to put his mark on it, so expect a couple surprises. And the aerodynamics of the wheels will be a big deal so they can get the 200mile range at the best possible price.
Vw X1 wheel covers are yuk for a mainstream car, guarantee that won't happen to the 3.

What I don't get is;
If the 3 has everything the S has except extending door handles, who will buy the S for double the price?
If the 3 doesn't have most S features and is a super budget car(highly doubt this) who would buy the 3?

I guess after the 3 will come the revision of the S, gigafactory batteries, longer range, more tech and a more luxurious interior.

Last edited:
20% smaller than the S is still a decent size car.

What I don't get is;
If the 3 has everything the S has except extending door handles, who will buy the S for double the price?
If the 3 doesn't have most S features and is a super budget car(highly doubt this) who would buy the 3?

I guess after the 3 will come the revision of the S, gigafactory batteries, longer range, more tech and a more luxurious interior.

For some locales of world-wide markets, the S is a HUGE car. So for people who live in those areas, the Model 3 could be right up their alley.
Same for people who live in smaller and tighter cities and plan on primarily driving in-town: a smaller car would easier to maneuver for 'in-town' traffic.

The size [length and width] of a car does not necessarily equate to interior room and space.
If the Model 3 is a bit taller car, it might still be a very accommodating, yet shorter, and narrower.

There are some folks who prefer driving a smaller car: they can park it anywhere, roads may be very tight and narrow.
And some folks who simply prefer the larger car. Which is much longer, lower and sexier.

There is more than one way to tie a pair of shoes.
YMMV

The size [length and width] of a car does not necessarily equate to interior room and space.
If the Model 3 is a bit taller car, it might still be a very accommodating, yet shorter, and narrower.

The Taller the car the less aerodynamic, the less the range, the bigger the need for a bigger battery.

In ICE smaller cars have smaller engines/transaxles that take space otherwise part of the passenger compartment. FWD instead of RWD with transmission tunnels for better packaging. The Model S does not have this equivalent waste of space. Drive units are between the wheels and the battery is a structural member underneath the car, taking a bit of headroom but otherwise not meaningfully impacting the passenger compartment.

Narrower means less hip and shoulder room. No way of getting around that without sacrificing safety on side impact collisions.

There are those that already complain about rear seat headroom in the S.

Some people just want/need a bigger car.

Obviously,Tesla will have to step up its S interiors. So there can be similar product differentiation from S to 3 as their is from a 3 Series to 7 Series. Over 60k people around the world buy a 7 Series every year despite the fact you can get a ~20% smaller 3 Series for roughly half the price.

A base S should also have a longer range than a base 3.

There are those that already complain about rear seat headroom in the S.

And that's why Model 3 needs to be taller then the Model S. Not much, just a little bit taller.

Narrower means less hip and shoulder room. No way of getting around that without sacrificing safety on side impact collisions.

Correct. And a smaller car - a car with lower mass will also be a less secure car. So Model 3 will have to sacrifice safety vs. the Model S/X. Both on side, front and rear impacts.

A base S should also have a longer range than a base 3.

Why? I may agree if you said: "A base S should not have a shorter range than a base 3." But I see no reason that they can't have the same base range.

And that's why Model 3 needs to be taller then the Model S. Not much, just a little bit taller.

Or the rear seat could be a little bit thinner/lower. I would think in a Model 3 sized vehicle there will be a lower expectation of comfort for the back seat compared to an S sized vehicle. Personally I've never bought a vehicle because of the back seat, and had a few with no back seat at all.