Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing items from CyberTruck reveal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not able to find any articles or other mentions of the door handles. Does anyone know if this was a regulatory issue? It definitely destroys the clean door look.

I'm not a fan of the retractable door handles, perhaps I have an irrational fear of having my fingers cut off. I'm not a candidate for a Cybertruck anyways, so oh well... but would've preferred handles more like the 3/Y.
There are no door handles. There's a button by the window that pops the door open. Franz showed it off a few weeks ago and Elon said a while ago there would be no handles.

Outside of the original prototype, I don't know that any have had handles. I misread your comment earlier.

There are no door handles. There's a button by the window that pops the door open. Franz showed it off a few weeks ago and Elon said a while ago there would be no handles.

Outside of the original prototype, I don't know that any have had handles. I misread your comment earlier.

But the video of the Cybertruck on Tesla's website *right now* clearly shows door handles.

Screenshot_20230717-004134.png

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy
I also only just noticed that the wheel caps have a fake sidewall... those tires always looked futuristic and unreal, didn't really think too much about it.

Now I realize that it's a facade. Obviously they'd need to be traditional tires... but they look so different. It's an interesting idea to cover the sidewall like that.

That's the launch prototype. Its also bigger, has a different shape, stainless steel bed, etc.

The first one made in Texas didn't have door handles. This is a confirmed thing at this point from Elon, Franz, and all of the Beta versions.

You're saying that even though they filmed this video of one with handles, they won't be produced that way?

Seems peculiar they would put all the work into making one with handles like this and film it just to scrap it later.

Not saying I don't believe you, just surprised.

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy
Has there been any more mention of if the low voltage system is 48V only (no 12V)? Is the high voltage system 1000V nominal? MCS port or NACS?

If its close to production certification documents should be out detailing the system if they want to sell GHG credits.

You're saying that even though they filmed this video of one with handles, they won't be produced that way?

Seems peculiar they would put all the work into making one with handles like this and film it just to scrap it later.

Not saying I don't believe you, just surprised.
That video and those images are years old.

That is the original prototype...there's a ton of differences.

And no way they scrap the original. It'll be on display.

There also hasn't bee much mention of the power outlets. It would be great if you could have them share charging (L1/L2) with other EV's. Only got one port for one EV at in-laws but would be nice to be able to do a daisy chain connection when someone else in the family finally converts.

I'm not able to find any articles or other mentions of the door handles. Does anyone know if this was a regulatory issue? It definitely destroys the clean door look.

I'm not a fan of the retractable door handles, perhaps I have an irrational fear of having my fingers cut off. I'm not a candidate for a Cybertruck anyways, so oh well... but would've preferred handles more like the 3/Y.
We see Franz operating it in the video

I was highly skeptical of that from the beginning. It seems it would have massive implications for crash safety, both for passengers and pedestrians. Seems I was right.
I'll have to go rewatch the Elon videos from the announcement to refresh my memory but I recall them saying that the exoskeleton was to increase the overall strength with minimal internal structure, not zero internal structure, I don't remember them ever saying anything that it wouldn't be unibody + exoskeleton, that's kind of what I expected all along.

To your point, I'm *very* curious to see those crash test videos.

Also curious if you have to have a SS panel replaced, will the color match? Most SS colors vary from batch to batch, is color matching part of their custom formulation? Inquiring minds want to know ...

• Informative
Reactions: DblOSmith
I'll have to go rewatch the Elon videos from the announcement to refresh my memory but I recall them saying that the exoskeleton was to increase the overall strength with minimal internal structure, not zero internal structure, I don't remember them ever saying anything that it wouldn't be unibody + exoskeleton, that's kind of what I expected all along.

To your point, I'm *very* curious to see those crash test videos.

Also curious if you have to have a SS panel replaced, will the color match? Most SS colors vary from batch to batch, is color matching part of their custom formulation? Inquiring minds want to know ...
The actual CT isn't an exoskeleton as in the panels are attached to the internal structure instead of the SS bearing the load according to Sandy Munro. He postulated they did this for safety and crash testing.

Reactions: Cal1
The actual CT isn't an exoskeleton as in the panels are attached to the internal structure instead of the SS bearing the load according to Sandy Munro. He postulated they did this for safety and crash testing.
Compared to traditional trucks (ex- Rivian), the CT design is far more "exoskeleton" than anything that has come before it, especially considering the fact that it will have a structural pack ("exoskeleton" was always just marketing hype from Elon). I was always skeptical of a load-bearing brake-bent stainless structure. I'm glad they pivoted.

You're so right. God I'm so tired of folks trying to make something incorrectly quoted right. There is no exoskeleton here. A beetle has an exoskeleton. NO INTERNAL bones holding the shape of the creature. Look no one tries to say a turtle has an exoskeleton because there are internal bones, ribs, leg, arm, paws etc. The shell protects but does not qualify it as an exoskeleton. No one tried to describe any man made product as an exoskeleton design fore this was incorrectly referenced with the CT. That internal structure (which acts like a skeleton and holds the shape) invalidates the exoskeleton reference. The panels will fall down without them. Sorry but no exoskeleton design here.

So why the focus on using that term? Will it be incredibly strong? I believe so. Will it work? Yes. Is it a great design? Yes. Is exoskeleton design necessary to sell it? No