Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End of ownership review - 14 months with an LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course sooner or later more tax is coming to electric vehicles

Indeed. But before then more tax may be levied on ICE fuels (but the Fuel Escalator has been supposed to be weaning people off fossil fuels for, what, a decade? and every Budget the chancellor leaves it unchanged). And ICE fuel tax will, increasingly, be for the poorest segment of the population so not exactly a big vote winner ...

Indeed. But before then more tax may be levied on ICE fuels (but the Fuel Escalator has been supposed to be weaning people off fossil fuels for, what, a decade? and every Budget the chancellor leaves it unchanged). And ICE fuel tax will, increasingly, be for the poorest segment of the population so not exactly a big vote winner ...
Well that's exactly it but also everything we buy / need to function as a country is shipping around to us using diesel. Feels like it'll be a long time until we'll have a nation of Tesla Semi's or something similar to solve that. So more tax on diesel can drive inflation across all the goods we need.

Also as you say an ICE car is still far cheaper than an EV at starting price points, poor people cannot afford a new car or an EV in general yet. Gonna be a tricky one if they try to force them off ICE cars but they also cannot afford an EV in the future still.

I thought the end of ICE might start to be coming when Bristol announced their diesel vehicle ban over certain hours but they had to roll that back. Country isn't yet ready for that but for me it's not so much the cost of the fuel but will I be restricted in where I can drive in the future. Still it's not a worry enough to get me to switch both cars yet, the extra range and not having to worry about queuing to charge is much better for a long journey to me.