Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY LR Breakdown in France. 18 months old.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We were heading to La Plagne for a week of snow for the first week of the Easter holidays... it was an incredibly wet drive. Apart from a brief interval at Reims, it was hammering down for about 7 hours.

As we were heading towards Lyon we received a message saying there was an issue with the front engine and it had been disabled. The message was surprisingly calm - it basically said, no worries, this will probably resolve itself and carry on as normal, so we did. We then stopped to charge at approximately 15:30, and as soon as we stopped we received a "Pull Over Immediately" error. We tried rebooting everything to no avail, so we called Tesla roadside assistance.

We were fortunately only 4km from a Tesla Service Centre, unfortunately we were in France. Even though we were in an Aire charging bay, roadside eventually got back to us and said they weren't allowed to recover from the autoroutes as it's too dangerous, so we'd have to call 112 for an emergency recovery that would dump us off the autoroute and Tesla could recover us from there. By the time we'd been through this faff, we'd driven past the now closed Tesla Service Centre twice, which also meant we were unable to borrow a car and being Easter, would hear nothing until Tuesday.

Stuck in a recovery depot with two young children at 8pm, we were left with no real choice other than to pay for a very expensive taxi for us and our stuff up the mountain.

On Tuesday we were told that the front motor inverter had failed and were given a fix date on 22nd April, nearly 3 weeks away. After some chasing they said the part would be arriving on the 10th and they should have it fixed by the 12th.

I spoke to our travel insurance (Virgin Money), who said they wouldn't cover anything directly related to the car, which is fair enough and expected, but they also have nothing in their T&C covering self drive holidays. They said we could put in a claim and they might cover things like the taxi, but refused to commit to anything over the phone. When I asked with options they'd be most likely to cover, they said "the cheapest".

If we got a car from Tesla, we weren't allowed to take it to the UK, so I eventually managed to arrange a convoluted and cheapest possible return journey involving dumping most of our stuff in the car in Chambery, hiring a car from Chambery airport to drive to Calais (we couldn't take the car across the channel), a pickup from Calais by my dad, hiring a car in Dover and eventually getting back to Oxford.

Next weekend (13th/14th) is the last weekend of commercial flights to Chambery for the ski season, so the planes flying out are all empty and we could get a ticket for £31, which wouldn't have been too bad, but I've now been informed that the car won't be fixed until 25th April, which makes Chambery a pain in the arse to get to. I've had quotes to ship the car back for £~1500.

Tesla have been very little assistance, they've offered zero compensation other that saying they'll pay for the emergency recovery, but I'm still chasing that and we're already approximately £1500 out of pocket for a breakdown of a car that's under warranty.

Anyway, I'm one very unhappy Tesla customer. I have no idea what I can do other than sit tight and wait.

Any advice, suggestions, sympathy appreciated!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP
Might be worth joining the Telsa UK owners club to see if you can get better help. There's bound to have been people that have had this hassle before.

Is the car under finance? Might be worth contacting finance company to put pressure on Tesla to stick to the early repair date if the part has arrived.

I realise nobody reads the small print, but you have to know what is and isn't covered if you're making a trip of this sort. Do you read through what's covered in your travel insurance or just pick the cheapest option and hope for the best?

It's all here: https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/support/roadside-assistance

Do yourself a favour for the future and take out breakdown cover for the car (UK and abroad). You may never use it, but it's peace of mind.
And please don't blame it all on Tesla. You could have had the same (or worse) issues with any other make of car if it had broken down and you hadn't read the small print first.

Last edited:
No - no breakdown cover. I thought I should be pretty safe with a new car!
My sympathies as I had something similar (with charging) but to a lesser extent as the hardware issue didn’t get worse. I tried to contact the Reims service centre on a Saturday but no one picked up for few hours in the morning. But by that time the issue resolved. But my back up plan at that time was to temporarily stay put in Troyes and ride out the weekend then see on Monday what it brings by avoiding taxi etc., Our accommodation was helpful and willing to honour the contract even if we turn up after few days. I know not an ideal situation but thats what I was planning to do. But it is hard if you can’t get the parts etc., - and in your case this is yet to be fixed.

Most of the forum members insist on having breakdown cover in one or other disguises and that is something important I learned from the forum especially with Tesla.

And of course, you are not allowed to take the courtesy car from France to UK. I am not sure what compensation they could possibly offer other than the cost of the emergency recovery. One of my colleague had a similar issue with a French ICE car with some major work with engine. But again the parts didn’t arrive as expected and they had to leave the car and come back. They were lucky it was close to Paris, so there were many flights to go back to.

Sometime we are plain unlucky even if the best of the will in the world tried to help us. That is what I learnt on that day. So I try and make sure I have the appropriate break down recovery services, a plan B with an electric car, prepare the kids that sometime the plan can change as we are travelling around 1500miles in a car that is still only 10 years old in terms of an established company.

I realise nobody reads the small print, but you have to know what is and isn't covered if you're making a trip of this sort. Do you read through what's covered in your travel insurance or just pick the cheapest option and hope for the best?

It's all here: https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/support/roadside-assistance

Do yourself a favour for the future and take out breakdown cover for the car (UK and abroad). You may never use it, but it's peace of mind.
And please don't blame it all on Tesla. You'd have had the same (or worse) issues with any other make of car if it had broken down and you hadn't read the small print first. Some don't even offer the limited assistance Tesla does.
I disagree, having had both a Honda and a Fiat breakdown abroad the included breakdown services in both cases were excellent. It was only through reading this forum that I realised I needed additional cover with Tesla.

I disagree, having had both a Honda and a Fiat breakdown abroad the included breakdown services in both cases were excellent. It was only through reading this forum that I realised I needed additional cover with Tesla.
Yes, fair enough there will be better offerings as standard than Tesla provides, but my main point is not to assume anything if it's an important trip like that.

Reactions: init6
You're foolish to assume all cars provide the same level of breakdown cover. IIRC my BMW and Jaguars had quite different levels of European cover.
Tesla make it quite clear what they cover and what they don't. It seems people just don't plan anymore and would rather have a whinge on a forum when something preventable goes wrong.

Last edited:
I'm very anti insurance. Ultimately, insurance is never worth it, otherwise insurance companies wouldn't make a profit. They're also one of the few lines of business where they maximise their profits by not helping their customers. Virgin money's "Aah, we don't mention self drive holidays", is proof of that. If we'd broken down on route to an airport we'd be explicitly covered, but not on route to a destination. We're only covered on route to our destination if we're on public transport.

While frustrating, I have no real issues with what Tesla have done up to this point in time - my main issue is how long it's taking to get the parts. Surely there are parts in Berlin, a few hours away?!

Tesla UK have just phoned me to arrange the repayment of the recovery costs - they also asked for all other receipts and they'll refund what they can. I'll let you know what happens.

Parts won't necessarily come from Berlin. The main European warehouse is in Holland, but regardless they may need to come from further away if not in stock locally.

Your point about insurance doesn't really hold water because in this instance it would have been worth it, surely? If you don't take out insurance, it implies that you're going to take a risk. It's then your call how much of a risk you want to take and what the repercussions might be if something goes wrong.

Reactions: init6
Parts won't necessarily come from Berlin. The main European warehouse is in Holland, but regardless they may need to come from further away if not in stock locally.

Your point about insurance doesn't really hold water because in this instance it would have been worth it, surely? If you don't take out insurance, it implies that you're going to take a risk. It's then your call how much of a risk you want to take and what the repercussions might be if something goes wrong.
"Ultimately" is the key word there. You'll almost certainly pay for more insurance over the course of your life than it'll pay you back. The 7 figure salaries of insurance bosses don't come from charitable donations.

I have no issues with taking risks or dealing with car issues in less than ideal situations. I drove a 17 year old Land Cruiser 37,000km across Africa for a laugh in my younger days.

I was mainly asking for advice / suggestions. People saying "You should have taken out breakdown cover so it's all your fault" really isn't much use to me right now,

Reactions: Zedbox and GSP
They're also one of the few lines of business where they maximise their profits by not helping their customers.

Sounds like high-street insurance. I don't use them, nor high-street-banking for similar reason.

I use a broker. Anything, whatsoever, I just call him and he sorts it out. He is an expert in his field, knows all about small-print etc., he also knows my circumstances, what sorts of risks I am happy / not happy with, what sort of additional cover I am likely to be happy to pay for ("I need to get XXX [expensive item] to my daughter, I have a friend who is driving in that direction and can drop it off, Daughter needs it for a couple of weeks and will bring it back, is all that covered by my contents policy?" answer is always "yes", but he is happy that I ask).

I had a situation where I wanted to go on holiday with a friend. The friend was starting from a different country, travelling with me, and then going home (i.e. NOT coming back to my starting point). This sort of thing is outside the bounds of what insurance small print covers ... I wanted to be sure that the travel insurance, on my household policy, would refund id either of us pulled out (eg. illness). Agent said "Fine, but I'll check" and then he said "They say not fine (not both arriving back at starting point), but its not in their Ts and Cs so I am taking them to ombudsman" and then "They've decided its OK"

I wouldn't want to navigate the small print of insurance companies myself, I've got better things to do with my time. My agent gets commission from the insurance he sells me, which he refunds to me, and then charges me for his time - normally the two work out at about-evens.

Well, you did ask for sympathy... :rolleyes:

I don't know what anyone else might be able to suggest. It looks fairly clear cut you'll have to wait for the parts to arrive so they can repair it and then sort out the cheapest/quickest way of getting the car back.
If you are quids in because you've avoided paying for insurance most of your life then the financial aspect of this is presumably irrelevant?
If it's the time aspect that concerns you now, probably the quickest solution would be to fly out and drive the car back yourself when it's ready to collect.

You're foolish to assume all cars provide the same level of breakdown cover. IIRC my BMW and Jaguars had quite different levels of European cover.
Tesla make it quite clear what they cover and what they don't. It seems people just don't plan anymore and would rather have a whinge on a forum when something preventable goes wrong.
I've realise that making assumptions based on other manufactures where Tesla are involved is a massive mistake full stop! I equally assumed the fact the sales assistant told me my MY had adaptive cruise and auto wipers meant these features would work as they do for other manufacturers. I shouldn't have to read through a PDF document or full handbook prior to purchase I should be able to trust that if i'm told something is included such as european assistance that it is fully included. Anyway as I said I have learnt to be more careful curtesy of my MY.

On a lighter note :

Lockouts​

Circumstances where the vehicle cannot be unlocked normally due to vehicle, fob or app malfunction.
Coverage: A Roadside Professional will create a small opening between the door and vehicle frame in order to manually open your door within 50 miles of your vehicle’s location.

Ignoring what a "roadside professional" is or isn't how are they creating a small opening within 50 miles of my vehicles location? They must have arms like mr. Tickle, to reach my door from 50 miles away!

Reactions: Durzel
Is there just not some situations in life that frankly just suck and will always catch you out. You can plan for this, insure that but still something happens that isn't ideal. I'd probably just chalk this up to one of those things, hopefully you can get it resolved and recover as much of the money as you can then suck it up and move on.