Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My First Breakdown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Edited to add car details:
2019 S100D
75k miles
Battery ~3% degradation from new

--

So I was taking a road trip today (around a 2.5 hour drive). Started with a full charge (328 miles of range @ 100%). I was about an hour and a half into the drive on the highway doing around 75mph when the following alert popped up on the dash:

BMS_u008
Acceleration and top speed reduced

This was immediately followed by:
GTW_w018
Electrical system power reduced

I began to lose power and I saw the limited power/regen dash lines starting to creep towards the middle of the power gauge. I knew what this meant and pulled over the side of the road safely and put the car in park and did a power off/reboot.

The following additional errors showed up:
BMS_f071
Unable to start vehicle

TAS_a219
Air suspension adjustment unavailable

--

Knowing from what others have said here, I knew I was not going anywhere so I called Tesla Roadside and AAA to arrange a tow to the nearest service center. Tesla Roadside had me walk through a few reboot steps to no avail and noted that I would need to take the car in for service. Fortunately for me, I was about 10 miles past the Devon PA service center. I opened a service request in the app to let them know I was having the car towed there. I also preemptively called X-Care and started a claim just in case.

I had to wait a while for the tow (around 90 minutes). Once the tow truck arrived, we were at the Devon SC in about 10 minutes. I have always had good experiences with the three service centers in my area (Wilmington, Devon, and Mt. Laurel) and today was no different. As soon as I walked in, they took my info and got me into a loaner so I could get back home (I was in and out in under 15 minutes). They expect to have an update on the car by Monday hopefully.

I am assuming based on professor Google that it's an issue with the HV system and I would expect it to be covered under the battery warranty. If not, X-Care should step in so I am not overly concerned at the moment. Of course, anything can happen and I will post updates and the resolution once I know what the issue actually is.

--

A few notes:
1. After the breakdown, the car was still showing 263 miles of range remaining. It could not be put into drive but I was able to get it in and out of tow mode.

2. The car never lost accessory power and the whole time we waited for the tow truck we were comfortable in the car with music and AC and hazard lights on.

3. The 12v battery was replaced less than a year ago so I know it's not that (shout out to the "replace the 12v" gang).

4. The loaner I was given was a base model 2017 75D and boy it is barebones but beggars cannot be choosers. I am just glad/fortunate that they had a loaner available otherwise I don't know what I would have done. We were 90 minutes away from home with no way to get back.

Certainly inconvenient and derailed my plans for the day but could have been much worse.

Reactions: Sambub and evfeh
Just updating this post. Got my car back today (18 days in service). HV battery replacement under warranty with a reman pack.

Service notes were:
Vehicle arrived in a faulted state and unable to be driven into shop. Towed vehicle into shop. Diagnosis determined HV battery requires replacement. Replaced HV battery, verified proper AC and DC charging. Test drove and verified proper operation without alerts present.

P/N:
ASY, HV BATT,100KWH,SX,REMAN,RAVEN (1107679-01-H)

--

The replacement pack has slightly less range than my original pack. New pack @ 90% is charging to 290 miles. Original pack @ 90% charged to 297 so close enough I guess.

Overall a good experience.

Thanks for the write up. Yikes! 4 yrs is not very long, and in a newer S. Hopefully replacement pack goes longer.

We have a YP. I really want a S as well. But I worry about ownership of two batteries down the road. The hope would be they last at least 10 yrs.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I have always had good experiences with the three service centers in my area (Wilmington, Devon, and Mt. Laurel) and today was no different. As soon as I walked in, they took my info and got me into a loaner so I could get back home (I was in and out in under 15 minutes). They expect to have an update on the car by Monday hopefully.

Glad to hear all is well with the car again!

Just wanted to echo what you said above …. I routinely talk about how great our service centers are in this area. These are 3 of the very best. And your experiences show what I mean!

Hopefully you’re a member of our local owners’ club (Delaware Valley Tesla Owners Club - Home) — if not, take a look and hopefully will see you at a meetup!

Yikes! 4 yrs is not very long, and in a newer S. Hopefully replacement pack goes longer.

Agreed. To be fair, I don't think the issue was the actual battery cells, I have a feeling it was some internal part in the pack which required the pack to be changed. I had very little degradation on my original pack after 75k miles. That being said, hopefully the replacement pack goes longer.

Hopefully you’re a member of our local owners’ club (Delaware Valley Tesla Owners Club - Home) — if not, take a look and hopefully will see you at a meetup!

I only recently found out that there was a local owners club when I grabbed one of the business cards at the Wilmington service center. Definitely something I am going to check out.

Reviving this thread to note something interesting that I was wondering about but have now confirmed.

I had wondered if the reman pack I received would bring with it any improved charging speeds because the part number said it was for a Raven Model S and my car is a pre-Raven.

Well, I finally took an extended roadtrip and I can 100% confirm that my charging speeds have improved with the new pack. On my original pack, the highest I ever saw was 150kW at 20% SoC.

With the new pack, I topped out at around 204kW(!) at the same 20% SoC.

Just a point of reference for anyone interested.