Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car is dead after unplugging at supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
whats the SC speed at 50% SoC? With my old nerfed 85 pack it was 50kW at 50% which is one of the many reasons i did the 100 upgrade.

Also before tesla nerfed the 85 pack at 50% it was getting 72kW which was acceptable, not nearly as fast as the 100 (50% is 100kW) but it was acceptable. If your corked 90 pack is supercharging as slow as my old 85 pack its not worth it and i'm prob better off liquidating most of my savings for a used 2020 at $48k from tesla.

I do A LOT of driving and supercharging speed is super important to me. But all the downsides of a new or used tesla are A LOT as well. no free SC, no free premium connectivity, the seats arent as comfortable, AP2+ is hot garbage compared to AP1, i'd have to buy and install a new set of toe and camber arms, i'd have to remove and reinstall the radar detector and dash cams which was a major PITA to do in the first place. its quite the conundrum.
My SC speed at 50% SOC is that 125ish kW.

My SC speed at 50% SOC is that 125ish kW.
WTF how the hell is it that fast‽ I mean that's awesome but damn. This is the charge rate for my 100 pack. Any chance you could grab the part number off the invoice from yours?

I mean I'm hoping I can get them to give me the 100 pack since the software and hardware says 100 and my story is plausible (even got the P100D badge from 057 lol) but if not I'd like to have a PN and be like well can I get this one instead of a reman 85 pack? type of situation.

I am glad I got a loaner though the shop here is super awesome and very nice people. Even though it's a model Y and I ****ing hate the UI of the new sideways screen crap. Beggers can't be choosers.

Screenshot_20240410-200335.png

WTF how the hell is it that fast‽ I mean that's awesome but damn. This is the charge rate for my 100 pack. Any chance you could grab the part number off the invoice from yours?

I mean I'm hoping I can get them to give me the 100 pack since the software and hardware says 100 and my story is plausible (even got the P100D badge from 057 lol) but if not I'd like to have a PN and be like well can I get this one instead of a reman 85 pack? type of situation.

I am glad I got a loaner though the shop here is super awesome and very nice people. Even though it's a model Y and I ****ing hate the UI of the new sideways screen crap. Beggers can't be choosers.

View attachment 1037538
20230312_143539.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: airborne spoon
How could they possibly not know you’re completely full of it? Surely they have service records for your car.
Well… About a year or two ago I asked for the complete service history for my car. They said the records only go back 3 years and gave me those. Well not so much they only go back 3 years as to say they gave me everything they had and it stopped at 3 years. I spoke to the service manager at a couple of shops and they said they can't find any older records for my car. At that time I'd had the car for like 6 years. Not sure if they are full of it but it's somewhat logical because maintaining the records for all their cars indefinitely would take a good amount of data at the server location and to save space it's completely logical to only save 3 years of records.

Honestly I dono what is gonna happen, I expect them to call me and tell me to **** off and that my car is blacklisted. But in the off chance they don't have the records my statement is reasonable because they did 85 to 90 upgrades under warranty just not to 100 upgrades but it's completely plausible that I was at a shop that didn't care or know they weren't supposed to do it and they gave me a upgrade. My rule to life is never admit to anything, especially when it's incriminating, and this has saved my ass many many times.

I honestly don't what they can do if they can't find the records that far back. Will they honor the 100 that the computer and the physical pack says the car is or will they revert to the 85 the vin says? At least I got a PN from NVray so if they force the 85 on me I can at least try to get that PN pack.

How could they possibly not know you’re completely full of it? Surely they have service records for your car.

I had the exact same question. Seems very unlikely they wouldn't know he's pushing a BS story.

Well… About a year or two ago I asked for the complete service history for my car. They said the records only go back 3 years and gave me those. Well not so much they only go back 3 years as to say they gave me everything they had and it stopped at 3 years. I spoke to the service manager at a couple of shops and they said they can't find any older records for my car. At that time I'd had the car for like 6 years. Not sure if they are full of it but it's somewhat logical because maintaining the records for all their cars indefinitely would take a good amount of data at the server location and to save space it's completely logical to only save 3 years of records.

Honestly I dono what is gonna happen, I expect them to call me and tell me to **** off and that my car is blacklisted. But in the off chance they don't have the records my statement is reasonable because they did 85 to 90 upgrades under warranty just not to 100 upgrades but it's completely plausible that I was at a shop that didn't care or know they weren't supposed to do it and they gave me a upgrade. My rule to life is never admit to anything, especially when it's incriminating, and this has saved my ass many many times.

I honestly don't what they can do if they can't find the records that far back. Will they honor the 100 that the computer and the physical pack says the car is or will they revert to the 85 the vin says? At least I got a PN from NVray so if they force the 85 on me I can at least try to get that PN pack.

If Amazon can keep the entire purchase history of every single customer for more than 20 years, Tesla can keep textual service records for the lift of every car. The amount and cost of the storage required for that is insignificant. It's not even photos or videos, it's really just a big database. So this "three year" thing is complete BS -- either they made it up on the spot, or just don't know how to use the software. Perhaps they changed service systems a few years ago and the older records are in an archive module somewhere, but I'm sure they all exist. And it sounds really suspect that you were able to sweet-talk a Tesla SC into giving you a 100kWh pack instead. If I were them and heard that story, then I'd know you're pitching total BS, or at least would investigate further to find the actual truth. And even if they buy your story, there's almost zero chance they'll also break corporate policy and just give you a 100kWh pack replacement.

But good luck with that.

…I said back shortly after I got it in like 2017-2018 ish the main pack failed under warranty and I persuaded the service center to install the 100 pack with me paying the difference in cost from the 85 to 100…
…And it sounds really suspect that you were able to sweet-talk a Tesla SC into giving you a 100kWh pack instead….
Lots of folks have paid extra for battery upgrades, and some got lucky and upgraded for free. I would totally use all my goodwill to try to make that happen for me.

But if per Hank’s comment, if you don’t have air suspension, it’s a pretty big ask to have the service center build you a non-stock spec car. I don’t know that I’ve seen that done, although I’ve heard of inadvertent attempts that go wrong where the service center ends up putting the car back as spec at their own expense, so I can see that as possible, just not likely.

I’ve had this discussion with Jason before and I suspect that although there is no risk in putting a 100kWh battery in an 85kWh stock suspension car, I can see why the liability of differences in crash test configuration would mean that corporate will always kill that upgrade if they see an internal service center attempt it or in your case, repeat it.

Last edited:
Lots of folks have paid extra for battery upgrades, and some got lucky and upgraded for free. I would totally use all my goodwill to try to make that happen for me.

But if per Hank’s comment, if you don’t have air suspension, it’s a pretty big ask to have the service center build you a non-stock spec car. I don’t know that I’ve seen that done, although I’ve heard of inadvertent attempts that go wrong where the service center ends up putting the car back as spec at their own expense, so I can see that as possible, just not likely.

I’ve had this discussion with Jason before and I suspect that although there is no risk in putting a 100kWh battery in an 85kWh stock suspension car, I can see why the liability of differences in crash test configuration differences would mean that corporate will always kill that upgrade if they see an internal service center attempt it or in your case repeat it.
I got the air suspension so I got that going for me

You are going to sink more money into that money pit? How much have you spent so far? You are becoming the prime example of the Anti EV people's laughing stock excuse. Replace battery after another battery past warranty. What if the front motor goes next? Or other old components? I would just salvage it and go for a used 2021 or something.

You are going to sink more money into that money pit? How much have you spent so far? You are becoming the prime example of the Anti EV people's laughing stock excuse. Replace battery after another battery past warranty. What if the front motor goes next? Or other old components? I would just salvage it and go for a used 2021 or something.
Because the new models don't have the features the old ones do

He posted why he wanted to keep the car upthread and as an owner of both a '14 and '15 I have to agree with him. The only thing I want on these cars I don't currently have is faster supercharging which I should get should I ever have to replace the battery.

Many ppl driving n repairing old cars will disagree with u
U just have to match repair cost to the value of the car
Plenty of used parts around to fix for cheap, including HV packs...

Reactions: aerodyne
Many ppl driving n repairing old cars will disagree with u
U just have to match repair cost to the value of the car
Plenty of used parts around to fix for cheap, including HV packs...
He just replaced the battery for $23K and it only lasted 33K miles. I would be very pissed. But then again, I never drive my car past 100K miles. I sell it and move on to a new toy. So can't really relate. I don't think it is wrong to keep repairing old cars, just a choice I would not make. But for a Model S, I would think real hard. $23K battery. 7.5K Rear motor. Now another $15K battery. I doubt any ICE car demands that kind of repair bill.

Last edited:
Reactions: brainhouston
He just replaced the battery for $23K and it only lasted 33K miles. I would personally be pissed. But then again, I never drive my car past 100K miles. I sell it and move on to a new toy. So can't really relate. I don't think it is wrong to keep repairing it, just a choice I would not make.
yes, i personally would not get $23k battery for any age car, i'd pull one from salvage car or get used from eBay etc.
but i get that with FUSC n faster charging speed its an attractive option for some IF it would last long time...

Reactions: APotatoGod
He just replaced the battery for $23K and it only lasted 33K miles. I would be very pissed. But then again, I never drive my car past 100K miles. I sell it and move on to a new toy. So can't really relate. I don't think it is wrong to keep repairing old cars, just a choice I would not make. But for a Model S, I would think real hard. $23K battery. 7.5K Rear motor. Now another $15K battery. I doubt any ICE car demands that kind of repair bill.
The $23k battery was a choice it wasn't required my stock 85 pack was in perfect health. But if I buy a new car I'll have to pay $100/yr for traffic and music (which is currently free) I'd have to pay for supercharger which is currently free and today k took my loaner to a SC and damn it woulda been $10 for like 30kWh that's insane. The amount of SC I use I'd be broke in a month with those fees. AP1 is far superior to whatever the hell this loaner has but it sucks ass whatever it is. So buying a new car is not a good idea.

I would never sell a car just because it's got a few miles on it. That's like Leo dumping his perfect GF when she turns 26 it's just dumb.