Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car is dead after unplugging at supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TL;DR Well it's dead again kinda curious what it is hopefully the rear motor since it's under warranty.

Today I was charging as normal at a supercharger and I unplugged then get in the car and got the ding ding oh **** sound. Vehicle unable to start, acceleration and top speed reduced, electrical system power reduced.

I opened service mode and took the pics you see below. Called Tesla roadside and was like I need a tow. 15 min later the truck shows up and another 20 later I'm at the SC. They got me all checked in and gave me a loaner and said prob tomorrow sometime they'd be able to get to my car. I didn't care about the timeline because I got a loaner lol. I can never stress enough how either I always end up at awesome SC or I just get lucky at SC but I always have a good experience when I got to a shop.

Because it's DISw166 error I'm leaning towards rear drive unit and definitely hopping because it's a model U and it's under warranty. It was installed early Dec last year about 5k miles ago. Which was replacement for the rear motor that was installed in October last year at another SC when the stock motor failed after 188k miles.

Downside of it is the rear motor I'm gonna need another alignment because they somehow messed up my toe when they put things back together and I had major outer tire wear.

I'd love to hear the speculation y'all have as to what failed and why. Obviously I'll keep this post updated as I get more info.

PXL_20240409_212615210.jpg
PXL_20240409_212623413.jpg

I think someone mentioned in other thread that DIS = Driver Inverter Secondary, which is front..
But bms w177 is the sense wire error for HV pack so its not looking good...
Is it the 100kwh pack u got from wk?..

I think someone mentioned in other thread that DIS = Driver Inverter Secondary, which is front..
But bms w177 is the sense wire error for HV pack so its not looking good...
Is it the 100kwh pack u got from wk?..
Well damn thats not good. Although a front motor is cheaper that a battery.

But yeah I got the pack from @wk057 around 172k miles so like 35k miles ago and 11 months.

Although when the motor went out last time it had coolant errors, and the time before it had similar errors.

Reactions: brainhouston
haha it was there in the name (had last word wrong, same meaning tho): Drive Inverter Slave
1712774314797.png

i'm sure its nothing serious since its just an HVIL error but i don't know if its part of inverter or not
i'm sure Tesla won't fix it n just replace it but 3rd party could probably...
or it could just be an effect but the cause could be still BMS...

Welllll *sugar* *sugar* *sugar*. Tesla said the main HV pack is bad and needs replaced. They asked if I ever took it to a 3rd party shop I of course said no because they saw the 100 pack in it. He asked if it was a salvage or if I ever took it to a shop for collision damage and it has never been there so I said no.

I said back shortly after I got it in like 2017-2018 ish the main pack failed under warranty and I persuaded the service center to install the 100 pack with me paying the difference in cost from the 85 to 100.

the shop guy said he'll get back to me with a quote today or tomorrow because the quote for the 85 pack was $15k since that's what the vin says it is. Hopefully I can get another 100 pack. Also the fact my @wk057 pack failed 11 months after he sold it to me for $23k is really, really pissing me off.

This is the estimate for the 85 pack, anyone have data on what size it really is or it's supercharging capability? Because my old 85 pack was charging at 50kW at 50% and the 100 pack charges at 105kW at 50%. The speed difference is insane and I need that supercharger speed.

Screenshot_20240410-152905.png

Welllll *sugar* *sugar* *sugar*. Tesla said the main HV pack is bad and needs replaced. They asked if I ever took it to a 3rd party shop I of course said no because they saw the 100 pack in it. He asked if it was a salvage or if I ever took it to a shop for collision damage and it has never been there so I said no.

I said back shortly after I got it in like 2017-2018 ish the main pack failed under warranty and I persuaded the service center to install the 100 pack with me paying the difference in cost from the 85 to 100.

the shop guy said he'll get back to me with a quote today or tomorrow because the quote for the 85 pack was $15k since that's what the vin says it is. Hopefully I can get another 100 pack. Also the fact my @wk057 pack failed 11 months after he sold it to me for $23k is really, really pissing me off.
dang.. sorry buddy..
I really hope they won't charge u core price on top...
I'm pretty sure its just a sense wire issue, judging by code n some other posts/videos.. so if u can't use it as core, i'm sure some 3rd party can fix it...

PS. wk plot thickens lol 😅

Reactions: zoomer0056
this is what I'm thinking, if they offer me a new 100 pack for around $15k i'll take it and roll. if they refuse to give me anything but an 85 pack. ill buy a different tesla.

I'm looking around and if im gonna buy another one im buying it through tesla because i dont trust people to sell an EV also i just paid for a rear motor and i dont wanna buy used one from the world and have to buy another one or worse another main pack.

they got used for $48k and new for $73k and brand new to order for $74k. what i dont know is ever since they went away from the P pack size D method of labeling the cars i dono WTF these things mean. like long range vs long range dual motor vs long range plus like does the plus have dual motors? I see a long range AWD with a 0-60 at 3.7 but a long range says 3.1 and they both have the same est millage. damn its annoying as hell. It used to be so simple if it has the d its AWD and the D usually indicated a faster 0-60.

Reactions: Scott13TMSP85
this is what I'm thinking, if they offer me a new 100 pack for around $15k i'll take it and roll. if they refuse to give me anything but an 85 pack. ill buy a different tesla.

I'm looking around and if im gonna buy another one im buying it through tesla because i dont trust people to sell an EV also i just paid for a rear motor and i dont wanna buy used one from the world and have to buy another one or worse another main pack.

they got used for $48k and new for $73k and brand new to order for $74k. what i dont know is ever since they went away from the P pack size D method of labeling the cars i dono WTF these things mean. like long range vs long range dual motor vs long range plus like does the plus have dual motors? I see a long range AWD with a 0-60 at 3.7 but a long range says 3.1 and they both have the same est millage. damn it’s annoying as hell. It used to be so simple if it has the d its AWD and the D usually indicated a faster 0-60.
Maybe Tesla will offer the FUSC transfer next month..

Maybe Tesla will offer the FUSC transfer next month..
doesn't apply to me but i'd be interested in the free SC transfer if they offered that again (ended 31 Mar 2024) also i wish they would offer transfer of premium connectivity along with free charging. Although ive been thinking i have 50GB a month of hotspot data with ATT i dont think the car uses that much i could just drive around with the hotspot on and have free connectivity basically.

This is the estimate for the 85 pack, anyone have data on what size it really is or it's supercharging capability? Because my old 85 pack was charging at 50kW at 50% and the 100 pack charges at 105kW at 50%. The speed difference is insane and I need that supercharger speed.

View attachment 1037446
I paid Tesla for a new (not reman) replacement pack in Nov 2022 for my 2012 P85. The replacement pack is a 90 kWh corked to 85. Uncorking to 90 would cost $750 extra. I elected to stay at 85. My max supercharging rate is 125ish kW. 90% rated range was 244 miles upon replacement and still the same today.

Based on numerous folks I've talked to, the $15k Tesla 85/90 reman pack will get you 80-85% of original 265 miles at 100% SoC. The reman is by definition a degraded pack vs new cells. Only way to get full 265 miles is new like I got.

Lastly, I went with Tesla for the exact reason what happened to you - Tesla's 4 yr/50k warranty and multitude of Service Centers vs 3rd party at best 2 yr/25k warranty, one service center, and no guarantee they'll be in business.

Last edited:
I paid Tesla for a new (not reman) replacement pack in Nov 2022 for my 2012 P85. The replacement pack is a 90 kWh corked to 85. Uncorking to 90 would cost $750 extra. I elected to stay at 85. My max supercharging rate is 125ish kW. 90% rated range was 244 miles upon replacement and still the same today.

Based on numerous folks I've talked to, the $15k Tesla 85/90 reman pack will get you 80-85% of original 265 miles at 100% SoC. The reman is by definition a degraded pack vs new cells. Only way to get full 265 miles is new like I got.

Lastly, I went with Tesla for the exact reason what happened to you - Tesla's 4 yr/50k warranty and multitude of Service Centers vs 3rd party at best 2 yr/25k warranty, one service center, and no guarantee they'll be in business.
whats the SC speed at 50% SoC? With my old nerfed 85 pack it was 50kW at 50% which is one of the many reasons i did the 100 upgrade.

Also before tesla nerfed the 85 pack at 50% it was getting 72kW which was acceptable, not nearly as fast as the 100 (50% is 100kW) but it was acceptable. If your corked 90 pack is supercharging as slow as my old 85 pack its not worth it and i'm prob better off liquidating most of my savings for a used 2020 at $48k from tesla.

I do A LOT of driving and supercharging speed is super important to me. But all the downsides of a new or used tesla are A LOT as well. no free SC, no free premium connectivity, the seats arent as comfortable, AP2+ is hot garbage compared to AP1, i'd have to buy and install a new set of toe and camber arms, i'd have to remove and reinstall the radar detector and dash cams which was a major PITA to do in the first place. its quite the conundrum.

But $10K versus $15K. Is a warranty for only 4 years worth $5K to you? It might be, but it's not like it's just a freebie extra. You're paying quite a bit for it.