Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car is dead after unplugging at supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in contact with a shop that has an acceptable estimate. Still waiting to hear back from Tesla the longer the better because getting the car to the 3rd party shop is gonna be a logistical PITA, well more like annoyance due to the process of getting it moved. Working between family members on when they are available to let me borrow their truck. But also curious what options Tesla will give so still in a holding pattern out of curiosity
Which shop?

@airborne spoon Sorry to hear that and I'm quite shocked as I supposed the 100s to be more robust... Mine has done +-30kkm since the upgrade and so far so good... Also really surprised Tesla is talking to you! I wouldn't go there with my 100 upgraded car :D Nevertheless I totally got your point in claiming an AP1 with FUSC car to be the best... I'm on the same boat, so keeping the car to survive as long as possible :D

@airborne spoon tesla considers information as valuable. if Tesla can pull records beyond 3 years then they can also grab battery build information. by this I mean all build information of the car it originally installed in. with their influence at the salvage auctions they can track when and who bought the salvage car. the first 100kw packs were installed in p models about 7-2016. it's also easy enough to date code the pack serial number. while at times the argument you are using has been known to work, this isn't 1 of them. imho it's better not to poke the bear. hopefully you can get the car fixed at 1 of the 2 shops you are looking into.

Sorry to hear. At 30k+ miles since install there's nothing 057 could technically cover regardless of current circumstances, unfortunately.

Although, by the errors posted, it looks like a relatively simple fix with a competent shop. (Likely just swapping one to 3 PCBs inside the pack, reseal, and redeploy firmware.)

No way to predict that type of failure, and wouldn't have anything to do with anything 057 did or didn't do. Just bad luck. 😔

Definitely do NOT let Tesla give you a refurb 85. They're all garbage.

And if you give up the 100, make sure they give you a proper core credit. If you downgrade to an 85 it should cost less.
Had a guy look remotely at the car via toolbox, here is the gist of it.

So the fault is indicating an open circuit in the hv system so we could be dealing with a broken wire bond. The voltage differential was 1.36 volts that’s pretty extreme. Without any other symptoms leading up to it and as long as the battery isn’t trying to drain itself I’d suspect a broken wire bond or a failed BMB board at a module. But I cannot view live hv cell data remotely and without being able to see individually cell data I won’t know for sure. I don’t believe it is going to be a major repair.

Reactions: wk057
Sorry to hear. At 30k+ miles since install there's nothing 057 could technically cover regardless of current circumstances, unfortunately.

Although, by the errors posted, it looks like a relatively simple fix with a competent shop. (Likely just swapping one to 3 PCBs inside the pack, reseal, and redeploy firmware.)

No way to predict that type of failure, and wouldn't have anything to do with anything 057 did or didn't do. Just bad luck. 😔

Definitely do NOT let Tesla give you a refurb 85. They're all garbage.

And if you give up the 100, make sure they give you a proper core credit. If you downgrade to an 85 it should cost less.
I seem to remember reading something you posted about tesla banning 1 of your cars. it was to the level that you couldn't get updates without capturing the update from I think another car and editing the code for your car to accept.
No they won't do all that.

Worst case they'll mark the pack as third party equipment and make you sign a waiver before they work on the car.

It's not salvage or unsupported, so you lose nothing.
I seem to remember reading something you posted about tesla banning 1 of your cars. it was to the level that you couldn't get updates without capturing the update from I think another car and editing the code for your car to accept. I think this situation is a little different but my take is tesla or it's employees can do things you might not expect. I also remember a story about the threat of free premium connectivity being disabled if tesla can't push updates to your car after a period of time

I also remember a story about the threat of free premium connectivity being disabled if tesla can't push updates to your car after a period of time
I haven't heard such a thing but it might be due to certs
Few ppl said that if car is disconnected from internet for a while (1-2yrs?..) certs don't update n u won't have connection to anything anymore
My rooted MCU hasn't updated since Aug 2022, still rocking Premium connectivity but my certs are updating

I seem to remember reading something you posted about tesla banning 1 of your cars. it was to the level that you couldn't get updates without capturing the update from I think another car and editing the code for your car to accept.
Salvage cars are another thing entirely.

I think this situation is a little different but my take is tesla or it's employees can do things you might not expect.
My impression nowadays is that Tesla service employees these days are both lazy (minimum possible to get you out of the way) and scared to death (won't do anything outside of what they're explicitly supposed to be doing for fear of their jobs).

So, pretty unlikely nowaways.

I also remember a story about the threat of free premium connectivity being disabled if tesla can't push updates to your car after a period of time
Never heard of this either. I know of salvage cars that have been intentionally disconnected from Tesla nearly a decade ago that still have premium connectivity.

I dono they don't want anyone messing with the HV system I see it as very likely they would blacklist the car if they found out a 3rd party did HV work on it. Now if you could find some proof or something to that effect

I had wk057 install a 100kWh pack in my P85D a few years ago. I've taken it to Tesla for service many times, even last year when I had a slew of BMS error messages and the car was bricked. Turned out to be bad grounds, but still, it is painfully obvious that I no longer have an 85 battery and a third-party shop clearly replaced the battery. I even took it to Tesla while my ESA was still active and they made several repairs under the ESA. Tesla never did or said anything about it. I still have supercharging and connectivity.

Also, your avatar is the most annoying thing ever. But I suspect you know that already.

edit: Ahhh.. that's better!!

JavaScript:
$(".avatar-u117270-l").attr("src","https://www.seekpng.com/png/full/329-3293455_village-idiot-smiley-face-views-idiot-smiley-face.png");

Last edited:
Update: I trailered it to a shop and it was dead couldn't drive it off the trailer just tow mode only.
He cleared the error and it turned on so it's an intermittent problem aka the ****ing worst kind of problem.

Obviously something is wrong, but as to what who knows. He is gonna try and replicate the prob either with supercharging or some other way but it's really annoying when a problem doesn't persist.

But I don't want the car back unless he fixes it because it's basically a ticking time bomb to break again unless he can find the issue and repair the problem.

@wk057 any chance you would be willing to talk to the shop about this since you installed the pack? And perhaps privde any additional insight as to the issue.