Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car is dead after unplugging at supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to hear. At 30k+ miles since install there's nothing 057 could technically cover regardless of current circumstances, unfortunately.

Although, by the errors posted, it looks like a relatively simple fix with a competent shop. (Likely just swapping one to 3 PCBs inside the pack, reseal, and redeploy firmware.)

No way to predict that type of failure, and wouldn't have anything to do with anything 057 did or didn't do. Just bad luck. 😔

Definitely do NOT let Tesla give you a refurb 85. They're all garbage.

And if you give up the 100, make sure they give you a proper core credit. If you downgrade to an 85 it should cost less.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Sorry to hear. At 30k+ miles since install there's nothing 057 could technically cover regardless of current circumstances, unfortunately.

Although, by the errors posted, it looks like a relatively simple fix with a competent shop. (Likely just swapping one to 3 PCBs inside the pack, reseal, and redeploy firmware.)

No way to predict that type of failure, and wouldn't have anything to do with anything 057 did or didn't do. Just bad luck. 😔

Definitely do NOT let Tesla give you a refurb 85. They're all garbage.

And if you give up the 100, make sure they give you a proper core credit. If you downgrade to an 85 it should cost less.
do you know any competent shops in North CA?

Tesla just called me and said they cant go back past 2019 with service records, but his GM might have access to the older records. i said it was prob done in like 17-18 while i was in NC.

So when they cant find the invoice because it doesn't exist i'll be back to square 1 they will prob try to push me to the 85 pack or the 100 pack missing 2 modules (350v pack) like NVray has. I guess the 350v pack would be ok since its new batteries and charges fast. but there is no way in hell i'm taking the damn nerfed 85 pack

I'm gonna stand by my guns and keep saying tesla installed the pack and i have never taken it to a 3rd party shop... deny deny deny is the name of the game today. I mean even if they called the shop i said prob did the work the turnover is so high nobody from back then would still work there anyway (probably).

The $23k battery was a choice it wasn't required my stock 85 pack was in perfect health. But if I buy a new car I'll have to pay $100/yr for traffic and music (which is currently free) I'd have to pay for supercharger which is currently free and today k took my loaner to a SC and damn it woulda been $10 for like 30kWh that's insane. The amount of SC I use I'd be broke in a month with those fees. AP1 is far superior to whatever the hell this loaner has but it sucks ass whatever it is. So buying a new car is not a good idea.

I would never sell a car just because it's got a few miles on it. That's like Leo dumping his perfect GF when she turns 26 it's just dumb.
Free SC is definitely attractive if you use it a lot. I think that transfer was a good opportunity to upgrade. Anyway, for me, it is more about moving on to a new toy rather than saving $$. I don't stick to same cars. I know some people keep leasing the same model every 3 years. Which is just odd to me. I doubt anyone driving a Model S is looking at saving $$. That is not a car for budget drivers. If saving money is the only goal, one should be driving a Toyota hybrid.

Tesla just called me and said they cant go back past 2019 with service records, but his GM might have access to the older records. i said it was prob done in like 17-18 while i was in NC.

So when they cant find the invoice because it doesn't exist i'll be back to square 1 they will prob try to push me to the 85 pack or the 100 pack missing 2 modules (350v pack) like NVray has. I guess the 350v pack would be ok since its new batteries and charges fast. but there is no way in hell i'm taking the damn nerfed 85 pack

I'm gonna stand by my guns and keep saying tesla installed the pack and i have never taken it to a 3rd party shop... deny deny deny is the name of the game today. I mean even if they called the shop i said prob did the work the turnover is so high nobody from back then would still work there anyway (probably).
NoCal options. Either James Williams with Ponderosa Auto Express | Auto Repairs | Cameron Park, CA or Serhiy Kurshnir with Tesla Maintenance & Repair Services by EV’s Republic

Reactions: airborne spoon

Disappointed that you continue to be dishonest with Tesla. What do you have to fear from them?

If they find out I had 057 do the pack upgrade they will very likely refuse to work on the car and mark it as a salvage and remove DC fast charging making the car useless. That is not a risk I am willing to take
Then why did you take it to Tesla in the first place? Instead of first seeking 3rd party options?

Either way Micah will likely answer the phone at EV Republics and James will certainly be your main contact at Ponderosa.

Reactions: APotatoGod
If they find out I had 057 do the pack upgrade they will very likely refuse to work on the car
This is all out of pocket repair work. It's still in their interest to get paid. It's a possibility they might refuse to work on it, but I wouldn't say likely.
and mark it as a salvage and remove DC fast charging making the car useless. That is not a risk I am willing to take
That is absolutely FOR CERTAIN not something they are allowed to do at all. Having aftermarket repair work done by an outside shop has nothing at all to do with wrecks and salvage. They cannot and will not do that, so that's a false fear you don't have to worry about.

I'm gonna stand by my guns and keep saying tesla installed the pack and i have never taken it to a 3rd party shop... deny deny deny is the name of the game today
How you handle your business is up to you, but I dont think I have ever seen someone be so publicly up front about straight up lying through their teeth trying to get something done they are not entitled to.

That is absolutely FOR CERTAIN not something they are allowed to do at all. Having aftermarket repair work done by an outside shop has nothing at all to do with wrecks and salvage. They cannot and will not do that, so that's a false fear you don't have to worry about.
I dono they don't want anyone messing with the HV system I see it as very likely they would blacklist the car if they found out a 3rd party did HV work on it. Now if you could find some proof or something to that effect

If they find out I had 057 do the pack upgrade they will very likely refuse to work on the car and mark it as a salvage and remove DC fast charging making the car useless. That is not a risk I am willing to take
No they won't do all that.

Worst case they'll mark the pack as third party equipment and make you sign a waiver before they work on the car.

It's not salvage or unsupported, so you lose nothing.

I'm sure only the DMV can change a title to Salvage. Only the vehicle owner can ask the DMV to switch the title to Salvage. Typically this occurs by the insurer when they total the car, they become the owner, and they retitle it salvage and then sell it. Tesla (or any other manufacturer) cannot change your title for a car you own no matter what shape it is in. Tesla can refuse to service it or deny warranty work under some circumstances.

Reactions: electricar
…The replacement pack is a 90 kWh corked to 85…
I assume the limited setting stays with the car. If you have a 90 corked to to 85, and then install a third party 100. Which is true…
  1. 100 is capacity unlimited
  2. 100 is capacity limited 5kWh
  3. 100 is capacity limited 5.55%
Does anyone know?

(Edit: I am rewording any language from “corked” to “capacity limited” since the uncorking of max_torque and max_power is entirely different)

Last edited:
I assume the corked setting stays with the car. If you have a 90 corked to to 85, and then install a third party 100. Which is true…
  1. 100 is uncorked
  2. 100 is corked 5kWh
  3. 100 is corked 5.55%
Does anyone know?
For my 2012 P85. Tesla would not install a 100, only the 90 (corked to 85) that I have. I asked for a 100 but was only offered my current 90/85.

However, a 3rd party (like what 057Tech did) might install a 100. There would be no reason to cork to less than 100 unless owner wanted to.

Here's recent comment by @Recell as to 100 upgrades - "we regularly get inquiries about pack upgrades, we will usually suggest owners save their hard-earned money and keep their existing pack - upgrades just aren’t very cost effective. Here’s how we usually respond when someone wants to lay down $$ for a pack upgrade… While a pack upgrade sounds compelling, it isn't very cost effective, especially if your current battery pack is still working. Longer range packs with greater capacity need to be sourced individually, and that usually means from a salvage car that may have been in an accident or written off by an insurance company. And even from a salvage yard, long range packs are still very expensive - for what still amounts to a used battery pack...When all is said and done, it's usually far more cost effective to continue using your existing battery pack until it reaches the end of its useful life and then replace it with either a remanufactured pack from Recell or a new battery pack direct from Tesla."

Further, here's Pete Gruber's thoughts on 100 upgrades Gruber Motor Company

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I assume the corked setting stays with the car. If you have a 90 corked to to 85, and then install a third party 100. Which is true…
  1. 100 is uncorked
  2. 100 is corked 5kWh
  3. 100 is corked 5.55%
Does anyone know?
i believe it was mentioned here few times n possibly even confirmed by Recell that corking happens in the BMS firmware, something like voltage limit
so when u change pack u get whatever that bms has, 100s were never corked
only danger is if u put corked pack in normal car then u stuck with lower capacity
but luckily there're smart ppl out there who can uncork :)

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing but there was an entire thread on this - Any news on 100D uncorking?

It was done to my 100. But in this context it's performance, not battery capacity.
thats different, that was about how much amps is delivered to ur drive units
this is about Voltage cap on HV pack, ie they install 90kwh battery but cap it by voltage to roughly match it to 85kwh n so on...

Edit:
for those of us with Diag mode access, its this line under BMS:

1712881168042.png

Last edited:
I'm in contact with a shop that has an acceptable estimate. Still waiting to hear back from Tesla the longer the better because getting the car to the 3rd party shop is gonna be a logistical PITA, well more like annoyance due to the process of getting it moved. Working between family members on when they are available to let me borrow their truck. But also curious what options Tesla will give so still in a holding pattern out of curiosity

• Informative
Reactions: NV Ray