Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY LR Breakdown in France. 18 months old.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, fair enough there will be better offerings as standard than Tesla provides, but my main point is not to assume anything if it's an important trip like that.
Devil's Advocate because I do believe in dotting the i's and crossing the t's with stuff like this - but if basically every other manufacturer offers comprehensive recovery facilities and Tesla are an anomaly that doesn't, or worse - in this case - offers a substandard service that only reveals itself to be so with scrutiny, is it really that unreasonable for the OP to have made an assumption that it was not crap?

Reactions: s_zigmond
Take car abroad and just assume Tesla will sort it all out in the case of any problem? I do think that's an unreasonable assumption, but of course everyone will have a different opinion.

Personally I took 5 mins to check the Tesla policy and purchased Euro Breakdown cover myself, but each to their own.

Devil's Advocate because I do believe in dotting the i's and crossing the t's with stuff like this - but if basically every other manufacturer offers comprehensive recovery facilities and Tesla are an anomaly that doesn't, or worse - in this case - offers a substandard service that only reveals itself to be so with scrutiny, is it really that unreasonable for the OP to have made an assumption that it was not crap?
Does every other manufacturer offer comprehensive breakdown cover abroad? I don't know the answer, but I wouldn't have assumed so even if I'd owned cars with that had it before.

but if basically every other manufacturer offers comprehensive recovery facilities and Tesla are an anomaly that doesn't,
We don’t know that, the OP wouldn’t have tested every other car manufacturer. Let us not do the Tesla bashing for something they are not in anyway responsible. My sympathies with OP but sometime you run out of luck when you are not buying the right kind of insurance. And OP clearly mentioned his risk taking appetite for not buying break down cover and how he crossed Africa in his land cruiser and all.

Update
The car is fixed and we're flying out on Monday to drive it home. We didn't manage to get a loaner in the UK, so it's been problematic only having one car. Tesla emailed yesterday asking me to contact the Reading service centre to see if I could get a loaner, but it's a bit late now. (Isn't it also more or less impossible to actually talk to a service centre directly these days unless your car's in for a service?)

Tesla have agreed to go above what their terms state with regards to covering costs, although the exact amount isn't clear to me yet.

Total extra costs to me so far, before Tesla have covered anything are £2,115.18
Tesla has agreed to cover at least ~£700 of that, possibly more. (£235 of that is the recovery cost, that they always said they'd cover)

Reactions: Rooster6655
Looking at the details of the work, as well as replacing the inverter, the other two parts they replaced were 1096344-00-C and 1096984-00-E. Both parts look very similar and both parts look like they should stop water getting in, so my theory about water ingress into the inverter "hold's water". They've not confirmed that was the issue.

Reactions: Rooster6655