Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cambridge to Manchester and return

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As mentioned on the other thread I had to do this not very interesting trip from Cambridge to Manchester and return on the same day. But noticed few interesting stuff with my Model Y. The car and app are on all the latest software versions.

Having had my Model 3 for 3 years and had done few long trips to Europe on my car I found this journey much more quieter and relaxed on my Model Y except the stretch from Kettering to Rugby. What on earth the highways thought when they laid that strip it is so noisy. I think my main issue with the 3 is noise and jiggly ride especially the updated 2021 models. I had a loaner from 2019 that was much more firm but less jiggly.

Coming back to Model Y, I am still yet to settle on the seating position - the longest I’ve taken on any car to find a comfortable seating position. I am still making finer adjustments and I hope at some point I’ll stop adjusting. It took me just a day to find a comfortable seating position on my Model 3. I can see the seats are slightly wider given my physique but I think the main issue is around the padding and also the dead foot rest. I can never comfortably put my left foot on that, don’t know what needs to change. I think it is my own equivalent wipers moment.

I have mentioned on other posts about the charger and how less flexible ABRP and Tesla navs are when one charger is taken out. But I generally found the trip much more easier than doing in an ICE car. As mentioned earlier I charged at Rugby thinking Keele is out but had to stop at Keele for lunch - didn’t want to waste that 10minutes and Keele SC was working, so topped up to 99%. When I reached Old Trafford it was around 89%. I could have done the whole trip with just a single charge given how efficient the car was yesterday.

The return journey was on M56, M6Toll (still find it hard to use Apple ⌚️ or 📲 15 as asks for Face ID as the closer you go to the toll booth more the chances of scratching wheels or mirrors, credit card is best) M6 and A14. I managed to do it with 20% remaining, so did the journey with 69% and that covered 187miles. It was a warm spring day and the car managed well - even though I was around 15 minutes late because I changed the speed from 70mph to 65mph to estimate how much I save in terms of consumption. The consumption graph showed lost around 0.5% (slightly poorer than estimate) possibly because of 9miles wind speed. The efficiency was 210w/mph. First time I had this since I bought the Model Y. This is mainly because of the warm weather.

The most controversial bit, did the M6toll, M6 and Rugby to Cambridge A14 on AP - I don’t have FSD. It was reminiscent of my France trips on french and Italian autoroutes - very quiet and no warnings. More than 90 miles done without AP warnings. I had mentioned in one of my earlier posts how to hold the steering wheel with thigh/knee support and one handed assist (still to be on the legal side) that will keep the AP without any warnings of discontinuation. Overall I am pleased AP still works for me in the Model Y with a more upright seating.

Tesla_Model_Y_grey_(1).jpg

"Tesla Model Y grey (1)" by Damian B Oh is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited:
Sounds like you don't quite get how Apple Pay works on the phones with FaceID. You double tap the button with your face in view. That authenticates it and now you just need to tap in on a payment terminal. It doesn't need you to have your face in view when you do that so shouldn't have to get any closer than you would with a normal contact less card.

Reactions: M1tch
That’s the bit is difficult if your car is parked slightly away and you have to stretch and make sure your face is not too far.
No as I said you're doing this wrong. You hold your phone in front of your face, you authenticate Apple Pay and then you can tap the reader without your face in view. It won't be any harder or need any more stretching than a regular contactless card.

Last edited:
@spdpsba - I take the M6-A14 regularly and generally use (basic) AP for the whole route. I agree that this journey in the Model Y is more relaxing than it used to be in my former Model 3.

Departing from either home or the destination near Bury St Edmunds at 100% SOC & setting AP to between 65-68mph, the car easily manages the 227 mile journey in either direction without needing a charging stop, usually arriving with around 30% remaining. If starting the return journey with 80% I ether charge to full at the Newmarket SuCs or top up a few percent at Trentham Gardens.

As far as road noise on the Kettering-Rugby section of the A14, I haven't noticed that because music is being played throughout the entire journey.

Reactions: spdpsba
Someone prepared to pay the M6 toll...must be a business deductable. Indeed little other reason to go to Manchester..😁
My math...toll charge £8(ish) so after tax when not business @40%= £13.3. my business ran at 20% profitability so £66.6+vat=£80 I had to take off a customer to pay that....
..which all depends on your gross earnings per hour as to what graft you had to do....
I admit I'm cheap so I'd route differently and accept the extra 10mins unless I could gross £80 in under 10....

• Funny
prepared to pay the M6 toll...must be a business deductable. Indeed little other reason to go to Manchester..😁
Hmmm…there are other reasons too:
Kids, United, wife and family in that order.

Not everything can be captured in £££. My son wanted Old Trafford stadium tour (of course he is a Manchester United fan) and we have to come back the same day without getting stuck in traffic.
admit I'm cheap so I'd route differently and accept the extra 10mins unless I could gross £80 in under 10....
I remember somewhere you have got a M3P, doesn’t sound like you live on cheap🤪. Apologies if I am wrong.

Personally I would have picked Trentam Gardens rather than keel for a lunch stop and you’d have been able to get there without stopping at rugby if you had sufficient bladder range.

5 mins off the motorway and a much nicer place to stop and have lunch. Thats before considering keel is an old small V2 site. You’d also have got enough charge to get back there or rugby on the way back.

The only downside is it can get busy on the weekends during the day.

See I didn’t know about that until @Drew57 mentioned. That’s why I mentioned that in my other post about charging stops and ABRP. I was in a hurry and don’t plan much other than we are taking M6 toll as we have to reach Old Trafford at a particular time.
It will be slower than stopping at keel so ABRP will never pick it and it will assume you’ll not be sharing power on a V2 which you likely will be at Keel.

That said, if you are sharing, I suspect it’s neither here nor there as you’ll have at least a 10 min advantage over Trentam.

I’d still rather go to Trentam and mix it with the muggles using the wrong charger!

It’s a bit like Exeter services vs Darts farm, I know where I’d rather go if it was any more than a quick pee break.