Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip to London and back - Model Y RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I wanted to do a test run of my Model Y to London and see how good it is in terms of a normal trip and try and see how much miles is possible on a relatively miserable Feb that can help me to figure out what I can possibly expect from a RWD model Y.

I wanted to do this earlier as soon as I bought the Y but unfortunately the car had frequent screen freeze. I had to visit the Chelmsford SC three times, however they couldn’t replicate the issue when the car was there. It was slowly becoming a chicken and egg storey even though there was so much of data available the SC wanted the car screen to freeze before going ahead with any intervention. Anyhow to cut a long story short, during the last visit I managed to convince them and they removed the screen and put a new one. Cost - £1100 - covered by new vehicle warranty. Prior to that they changed the coaxial cable. It looks like this has fixed but 🤞. I have informed them they better get ready to change the ryzon processor if it is frozen again :)

Coming back to the trip, the car was fully charged and the outside temperature was around 5 with overnight frost. I didn’t do any preconditioning or warming up. The journey to London I did on average 70miles, the traffic wasn’t too bad on the motorways. It was raining heavily 10-15miles, however, it settled while in London. The traffic was moderate on A12 cruised around 20-30miles and reached the east. I left the car in a car park for 4hrs with sentry on. The battery percentage was around 73% and with Sentry on it dropped to 70% when I left London. On return I tried a more conservative EV approach to save battery and again the traffic was bit moderate. Again it rained around 10-15miles. All heating and other set on auto. But I reduced the speed to around 56-60 as I was in no hurry and the traffic on the motorways wasn’t too bad. It changed the arrival time by 12minutes. The return trip was supposed to be 23.9% battery usage but did it in 19.8% and the final remaining battery percentage was 51% (216wh/miles; 54mils done in 1.25hrs). The total was 108miles; 26kwh; 242wh/miles.

If I try and extrapolate the numbers it will be around 220 miles for 100% (260 miles EPA) and I can possibly take a risk of doing two trips to East London by slowing down and reach home with around 1%. Though I am not going to do that it gives me an idea how far I can go when I do some longer trips in summer. Not bad for a Model Y RWD.
IMG_2630.jpeg

Last edited:
bought the Y but unfortunately the car had frequent screen freeze
It is Day 6 since I had a screen freeze.
Prior to that they changed the coaxial cable. It looks like this has fixed but 🤞. I have informed them they better get ready to change the ryzon processor if it is frozen again :)
Looks like this is working, don’t want to do some early celebration :). I hope the Ryzon processor change can wait.

But anyone with similar issue of frequent screen freeze and two button resetting in a new car - the possibilities of hairline screen crack or some problem with the display assembly unit cannot be ruled out. This being a new car it was easy to distil it down. But even then the Chemlsford service centre wasn’t ready to explore it (this may not be the first time they are seeing the issue). I understand they have the protocol but there was some confusion about what was agreed with the previous engineer. Anyhow they resolved it after explaining the whole story and replaced the screen. Hope this works in the long run.