Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Demo Drive in US

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that so? Interesting, I always though food was quite cheap over there as well, at least judging from how large their portions tend to be.

I guess "The USA" is a whole continent, there are bound to be loads of variations between states....
It varies from location.. and varies greatly

For example: Jose Cuervo Especial gold tequila, 1.75 ltr bottle in Manhattan close to time square liquor store is ~ 60-65 $ or something. the same thing in Liquor store in small town in Maryland was ~35$

Our CCS plug/socket supports 3 phase which is not a thing in the US. Whether it's really needed here is another point, in euiope more people have 3 phase AC supplies, less so in the UK. The segregation of AC and DC pins may also be a good thing from a safety perspectrive for when things go wrong, no idea if it is but I'd be surprised if seperating them was less safe. Personally I find the weight of the cable to be the issue more than the plug itself and that must be similar in the US as its carrying the same amount of electrons.

The Model Y suspension is pretty bad on the early models, I'm still considering changing mine as I have a fairly early UK car. It's said to be much better now, but then you lose parking sensors so I'm staying put

Reactions: ACarneiro
to be fair, I see absolutely no issue with CCS2 size or weight. not much of a difference of the regular petrol station pump pistol, really.

It weights ~500g without cable, while petrol (or diesel) pump pistol will be quite similar weight. as rightly mentioned, it is actually cable and not plug itself, what is heavy

Reactions: Adopado
to be fair, I see absolutely no issue with CCS2 size or weight. not much of a difference of the regular petrol station pump pistol, really.

It weights ~500g without cable, while petrol (or diesel) pump pistol will be quite similar weight. as rightly mentioned, it is actually cable and not plug itself, what is heavy
The US CCS1 is not quite as good as our CCS2. The latch is on the plug not the socket and so there is much more scope for it to get damaged or worn.
I have seen issues of the plugs not staying properly plugged in due to this which does nothing for their reputation in the US.
Personally I have never has an issue with a CCS2. It is on the chunky side sure but it seems to work pretty well.

I’m on holiday in the US with some American friends. We discussed my Tesla experience and on the back of it, they wanted to try a demo drive at the local SC. So, I got to ride and drive in a US Model Y. A few observations:

- Prices here are notably lower than in the UK once federal and state tax incentives are included. A Model Y LR AWD comes in at under $45k.

- AP is definitely more usable than in the UK. Steering touch nag is way less intrusive and FSD definitely behaves more consistently.

- The NACS connector is so much better designed than the CCS monstrosity we use - smaller, lighter. It’s no wonder all the other manufacturers are switching to it.

- The Model Y we drove seemed notably quieter and more refined than my car (a 2019 Model 3 - one of the first in the UK). Its suspension setup was also definitely better than the Model Y I drove in the UK when it was first launched here.

- Rear seat comfort was definitely a step up from the Model 3 - mainly due to the higher seat squab.

I‘m now thinking a Model Y might be worth another look when replacement time comes.

View attachment 986333
"HUDWAY Drive for Tesla Model 3 and Y" by Yndima is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
I have never seen this heads up display. Is it available?

I have never seen this heads up display. Is it available?

TBH I suspect most of these after market headsup displays are used for a few months and then taken down once the novelty wears off.

A lot of them aren't optional anymore. Fuel surcharges that never go away, for example.

I feel like our society is increasingly money-hungry, trying to screw every damn last dollar out of people it can, through hook or crook.
It seems that Covid has been a good excuse to hike prices up on a lot of things. Price gouging seems to be the standard corporate approach now.

It seems that Covid has been a good excuse to hike prices up on a lot of things. Price gouging seems to be the standard corporate approach now.
In many areas I do believe they are trying to slip well past inflation rates, hoping people will just shrug and say "Yep, everything is getting pricier" and pay it nonetheless. I was in canada last month and I put a Monster energy drink down and the cashier at the gas station wanted just shy of $6. I'm not paying that on principle. I just said "Oh, I don't want it anymore", and walked it back to the fridge. Hulu jacked its price 20% last month, so I cancelled that after a decade as well. I barely eat out anymore (including fast food). I feel like these corps are going to push until they get pushback.

My company now has a spousal surcharge for insurance. Keep your eye out for that fun one :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Tiger
In many areas I do believe they are trying to slip well past inflation rates, hoping people will just shrug and say "Yep, everything is getting pricier" and pay it nonetheless. I was in canada last month and I put a Monster energy drink down and the cashier at the gas station wanted just shy of $6. I'm not paying that on principle. I just said "Oh, I don't want it anymore", and walked it back to the fridge. Hulu jacked its price 20% last month, so I cancelled that after a decade as well. I barely eat out anymore (including fast food). I feel like these corps are going to push until they get pushback.

My company now has a spousal surcharge for insurance. Keep your eye out for that fun one :)
We went into a coffee shop in Vermont yesterday. Two small coffees and a croissant came to $18 🙁. Since it wasn’t table service, I refused to add a tip. Maybe that’s penalising the staff for their employer’s greed - but I was so taken aback by the price that I couldn’t face loading it up to over $20 for two bog standard coffees and a plain pastry.

We went into a coffee shop in Vermont yesterday. Two small coffees and a croissant came to $18 🙁. Since it wasn’t table service, I refused to add a tip. Maybe that’s penalising the staff for their employer’s greed - but I was so taken aback by the price that I couldn’t face loading it up to over $20 for two bog standard coffees and a plain pastry.

Are the prices like so only in the service industry and not in, e.g., grocery shops? If so, quite a disconnect. A quick look online, however, seems to indicate in comparison of US vs EU prices, also US grocery prices are 100% higher than in the EU. That would explain the coffee and croisants also, 10€ could be possible here. That would mean that there is some shenanigans going on in USD/EUR exchange rate since you could theoretically import bagels (or anything with a shelf life) from EU and make a huge profit from the price arbitrage. What's going on?

Yet here in Boise this morning, two really nice drip coffees (refills, inc organic cream) & large mixed fruit scones in a cafe we've frequented for many years were only $10.05 & well deserving of a tip even though this too wasn't table service.

...but grocery (& restaurant prices even before adding the 12-18-20%+ tips) have been well beyond UK levels for many years, especially with ongoing exchange rates.

Last edited:
Grocery prices are crazy too. A loaf of bread is at least $3 and over $5 for anything decent.

Don't get ill!!!

Physicians have some of the highest pay in the US as a result of high cost for patients. Our joint house hold income in the US/Canada wouldn't be far short of $1million per annum as a very conservative estimate, multiple folds higher than what the NHS pays us. However the NHS has a value that's worth far more than $$$$$.

Places like Singapore have also tempted us in the past with reward packages unimaginable in the UK, but again, UK culture and values is something quite unique that goes beyond simply finances.

Last edited:
Are the prices like so only in the service industry and not in, e.g., grocery shops? If so, quite a disconnect. A quick look online, however, seems to indicate in comparison of US vs EU prices, also US grocery prices are 100% higher than in the EU. That would explain the coffee and croisants also, 10€ could be possible here. That would mean that there is some shenanigans going on in USD/EUR exchange rate since you could theoretically import bagels (or anything with a shelf life) from EU and make a huge profit from the price arbitrage. What's going on?
googling "usa vs eu grocery prices"

This is the first hit from a .gov website:

"A quantity of bread and cereals items that cost $100 in the United States would cost $156 in Denmark, but only $85 in Portugal, and only $40 in the Czech Republic. Meat costs are higher in most EU countries than in the United States, but are much lower in the Eastern European countries."

But obvious here is the huge disparity within the EU. Within the US also there can be one, e.g. on Dairy. I am still buying a gallon of milk for $2.89 which must be among the lowest prices in the western world.

Just curious, but are they paying professional Indemnity Insurance out of that? 'coz I reckon that is a large whack in USA ... (Google says Obstetricians insurance is $200K ... so would be enough to enable you to replace your aging Model-X :) )

If $$$$$ was your major motivation, the medical profession in the US certainly shouldn't be off your job list, the hours aren't even that long.

$1million joint house hold income really would be the minimal I would expect in the US for the roles we are doing in the NHS (senior clinical academic with international reputation and senior clinical leadership/management in a £1billion+ turn over organisation). But I think very few NHS doctors are motivated to go and find work in the US health care system regardless of the pay.

Last edited: