Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y suspension on UK LR AWD models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdk42

Jul 17, 2019
Leamington
I took a Y for a test drive when it was first launched and found the ride way too hard and crashy. But I drove a Y in the US recently (Performance variant as it happens) and the ride was fine. It seems that there was a suspension change late 22/early 23 that softened it up. But doing a search, it’s unclear to me if/when UK models got it. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience of recent Y cars, esp the LR AWD variant?

I’ve not seen anything definitive on a cutover and I’m not even sure there’s been “a” change, and more a series of changes. The parts catalogue lists a number of variations to the suspension parts, but this could be regional or model differences, or changes for other things like updated sealing. I think Musk mentioned a new setup with the mounting points being changed/reinforced or something like that, but that might be linked to factories with the single piece casting whereas other factories might not. Theres a thread knocking around talking about updating the shocks to the later version which seems to fix the issue where it’s discussed

TL;DR I’ve no real idea

Do you know what tyre pressures your demo car had? The explanation might be as simple as that as some of the first MY were being delivered with high pressures from shipping.

Some people have been told there hasn’t been a change for UK vehicles, others believe there has. Cars from Germany apparently feel better, but I would imagine they have locally sourced components and therefore may use a different OEM. Unless owners can get the part codes from their shocks we won’t really know.

I test drove a 23 plate Y today - LR AWD on 20" rims. The ride is definitely better than the first Y I drove last year, and actually better than on my 2019 3 with 18" rims. I suspect on 19" rims it would be even softer and more compliant. I also found the cabin refinement (lack of noise) to be a big step up from my 3 - even though I've fitted practically every sound proofing after-market option available and have soft rubber all-season tyres fitted!

I can see a MY heading my way soon...

I test drove a 23 plate Y today - LR AWD on 20" rims. The ride is definitely better than the first Y I drove last year, and actually better than on my 2019 3 with 18" rims. I suspect on 19" rims it would be even softer and more compliant. I also found the cabin refinement (lack of noise) to be a big step up from my 3 - even though I've fitted practically every sound proofing after-market option available and have soft rubber all-season tyres fitted!

I own a MYLR on 20’s and have recently been driving a MYLR on 19’s. Any difference in ride is negligible and the 20’s look so much better (with standard hub caps on the 19’s).
Drive it, enjoy it, don’t worry.

Reactions: Js1977 and Cnixon
I own a MYLR on 20’s and have recently been driving a MYLR on 19’s. Any difference in ride is negligible and the 20’s look so much better (with standard hub caps on the 19’s).
Drive it, enjoy it, don’t worry.
Yeah, I agree. The 19" Geminis look OK with the caps off, but those chrome covers look terrible IMHO. The 20" Induction rims do look good though. Almost as nice as the 21" things on the P model.

Reactions: Lord Farquad

I agree, I did a test drive recently on a RWD with 19s - they are much better in ride compared to my M3 on 18s and sound proofing. Not sure whether they have done anything to the test vehicle in terms of sound proofing - it was bit of Rangerovery (the evoques and Velar sound proofing) kind.