Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y suspension on UK LR AWD models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you alter the Teins firmness? Can't seem to find any videos on YouTube... And do they do them in any other colour than that horrible green?
The adjusters are knurled wheels on top of the struts and are adjusted by hand.
The fronts are easy to access by removing the plastic cover under the bonnet and you can see the strut top. The rears are a bit more fiddly and need the car jacking up to give more space, then three clips are removed from the wheel arch liner so that you can get your hand in and fingers onto the adjuster on top.

Fronts - 5 minutes max.
Rears - 15 minutes per side max.

How much better are they than the standard suspension on uk roads? Did you stick with the standard springs? How much was fitting? Thanks!
Most of this is summarised in the other thread you found, but the main result (and what I really wanted to fix) was that the unsettled bounciness that was present at lower speeds up to around 40mph. It always seemed like unless the road was glass smooth that the car was bouncing and jiggling around, and it was quite simply unpleasant (IMHO) and gave the same impression that you get in a badly lowered hot hatch.

After fitting and even before I tweaked the settings the unsettled feeling was gone. At the max softness setting the car felt really soft and good at lower speeds but on the motorway it was too floaty and bouncy - never out of control but not particularly pleasant. It also had a tendency to wobble side to side for too long at lower speeds over bumps so I adjusted and I'm currently on 10F 10R so there's still a good amount of adjustment left if I wanted to go harder or softer either way.

Reactions: phoenixcat
Well, in the end I went for a new MY LR with 20" wheels. Picked it up today and I'm very happy with the ride on it (and the general refinement for that matter). It's not air suspension smooth but it's significantly improved from the early MY I drove back in early 22. I'm actually very happy with how the car feels and is screwed together - no issues I can find, no squeaks and rattles, and decent cabin refinement. The 2019 cars are not as bad as some make them out to be, but it's obvious how much further Tesla have come since then.

Last edited:
I can only concur...
Now if only I had decent suspension...
1703089358368.png

;)

Best combo as well :cool:
You know, I went round in circles on colours. My 2019 3 was white/black and I quite like that combo, but I reckon that dark colours suit the Y better. So that meant black, blue or grey. I love black when it's clean and polished but we all know that keeping black cars like that is tough. So it was blue or grey. I would have been happy with either, but I reckon the grey hides the dirt a little better, so that's what I got.

I also fancied trying a white interior because I think it gives great cabin ambience.

Overall then, I really like the final combo - a good choice in the end.

Reactions: Js1977
@ajmorr.is I have been reading your updates on the updated dampers, I have had my MYLR for 3 weeks and really struggle with the low speed ride on my local roads and was keen to get an update if you think the upgrade is still worth it.

I noticed your Manchester based so the road quality (or lack of it) would be similar to mine in Wigan?

Its the only thing that is letting a fantastic car down.

@ajmorr.is I have been reading your updates on the updated dampers, I have had my MYLR for 3 weeks and really struggle with the low speed ride on my local roads and was keen to get an update if you think the upgrade is still worth it.

I noticed your Manchester based so the road quality (or lack of it) would be similar to mine in Wigan?

Its the only thing that is letting a fantastic car down.
Absolutely no regrets at all. I wouldn’t go as far as to say it’s perfect & glass smooth as the springs & overall geometry of the suspension still have a say in the ride but I don’t have any issues with the low speed bounciness at all any more.

Feel free to compare if you want a comparison ride and you’re over near me at any point.

Its the only thing that is letting a fantastic car down
You have to drive a Model 3 to know how quiet and less bouncy the Y is. Not saying it is great but in relative terms it’s miles better than a 3. I think this is one thing Tesla needs their automotive engineers to learn from may be a Range Rover rather than German companies. It is a comfort car with some driver focus on M3p or MYP. But other cars can have some suspension work that can make it less jiggly.

I'd argue it depends which model year both are.
I had the Q1 2021 Model 3 and current Q4 2023 Model Y (that people say has an improved suspension). I test drove a Model Y but that had an unbelievable plush ride more or less like a Range rover (Velar and Evoque ones). May be that suspension was tweaked or something. Anyhow my car’s ride isn’t that great eventhough it is the latest one. But miles better than the 3 I had. That way I can’t complain.

Absolutely no regrets at all. I wouldn’t go as far as to say it’s perfect & glass smooth as the springs & overall geometry of the suspension still have a say in the ride but I don’t have any issues with the low speed bounciness at all any more.

Feel free to compare if you want a comparison ride and you’re over near me at any point.
I might take you up on that offer, where are you based?

I had the Q1 2021 Model 3 and current Q4 2023 Model Y (that people say has an improved suspension). I test drove a Model Y but that had an unbelievable plush ride more or less like a Range rover (Velar and Evoque ones). May be that suspension was tweaked or something. Anyhow my car’s ride isn’t that great eventhough it is the latest one. But miles better than the 3 I had. That way I can’t complain.
Tesla swapped the suspension of the 3 out to comfort suspension similar or same time they did a Y. We test drove a Y and 3 back to back before getting a 2023 Model 3. The Model 3 is more comfortable suspension wise than the Model Y. Only time this will be different is different years with differing campers like you see comparing.

Obviously at this point I suspect the Highland is going to be quite a bit better so Model 3 should be a lot better, Y will catch up mostly when they refresh that I imagine. I still think 3 will be better, Saloons are just easier to make comfort than SUV's. A Range Rover is great, an S class is better.

Reactions: Zilla91
The Y LR I picked up in late Dec is pretty decent in ride. I’m quite happy with it. Definitely better than the 2019 3 that it replaced. It’s also significantly more refined. Cabin noise is much lower and overall it just feels a more developed car. But the 3 is definitely a little quicker and handles better.

Last edited:
Reactions: FastLaneJB
The Y LR I picked up in late Dec is pretty decent in ride. I’m quite happy with it. Definitely better than the 2019 3 that it replaced. It’s also significantly more refined. Cabin noise is much lower and overall it just feels a more developed car. But the 3 is definitely a little quicker and handles better.
I wonder how it compares to late 2022 model Y , have you tried a 2022 version?

I wonder how it compares to late 2022 model Y , have you tried a 2022 version?
I test drove an early UK Y. I think it was in spring 22. The ride was really awful. It immediately put me off the Y. Then I had a drive of a 2023 Y in the US in October last year and it was like driving a different car. So, I then did a test drive in Nov of a UK Y and had the same experience. On the back of that, I ordered one.

The one I had delivered is, if anything, even nicer than the one I took for a test drive (but maybe it's confirmation bias). I'm also very pleasantly surprised at the low level of road noise in my car - it's better than I was expecting, which is always a nice thing when it happens!

Based on the car I have, I'd say that the Y is now where it should have been at the start. It's not a Range Rover, but it's quite livable with.

Last edited:
Reactions: spdpsba