Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Suspension Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just jnstalled Koni Reds on my pre suspension upgrade (2021). Can't really tell the difference between the 2024 I drove for a couple hours.

Installation was on the easier side compared to the 15 others I've done. Took my time, 1.5 hours each for the front.

Tesla manual says no alignment needed, you don't really touch anything in the steering. Mine seems the same after.

There are a few one time use nuts you're supposed to replace. I used blue loctite, not too worried about it.

The pinch bolt on the upper A arm knuckle is a bit tricky, takes a bit of finagling to get it out.

Reactions: TGuy2024
BTW, this guy calls out part numbers. So I think Tesla Service was bullshitting me about no change. It's possible I got an MYP suspension.

You can see the part number of the rear strut by just looking through the wheel. Same with the front if you turn the wheel all the way to one side. Find it and then cross reference it. You should be able to google up the MYP part numbers. I believe the changes over the years are the last letter with F being when it switched to “comfort” suspension (but I could be wrong on the letter part). Your screenshot from Reddit shows an H. Also keep in mind that different factories may use different part #’s too.

OP:

Tire pressure, volume, and sidewall all have significant affect on ride quality. Yes, the 19’s ride better than the 20’s. However, the sidewall is still “upright” (so not bulged). Meaning the tread width and the rim width are about the same. This makes it difficult for the sidewall to flex. To say nothing of curb rash.

In a perfect world you would want a taller and wider tire with a narrow rim running at lowered pressures. As one solution, I bought model 3 18”s and will run taller and wider tires at 37psi. I expect excellent ride improvement when I convert this fall.

Highly resellable, and of course no labor costs losses to speak of.

Ymmv.
I am currently running 39 on my factory 19's. Those are 255/45/19. Which modified size do you recommend for those?

I just jnstalled Koni Reds on my pre suspension upgrade (2021). Can't really tell the difference between the 2024 I drove for a couple hours.

Installation was on the easier side compared to the 15 others I've done. Took my time, 1.5 hours each for the front.

Tesla manual says no alignment needed, you don't really touch anything in the steering. Mine seems the same after.

There are a few one time use nuts you're supposed to replace. I used blue loctite, not too worried about it.

The pinch bolt on the upper A arm knuckle is a bit tricky, takes a bit of finagling to get it out.
Your post is the most informative one I got on this thread so far!

Would you be kind enough to give more details on the differences you felt after moving to Koni Reds?

Alignment,
That is what I thought, you are just replacing the shocks, not messing with the spring heights or other suspension components.

Those one-time-use nuts, Would anyone know what they are? what part numbers? I am guessing the back is super easy, it's the front that needs more time with the upper A-arms.

Would you be kind enough to give more details on the differences you felt after moving to Koni Reds?

Alignment,
That is what I thought, you are just replacing the shocks, not messing with the spring heights or other suspension components.

Those one-time-use nuts, Would anyone know what they are? what part numbers? I am guessing the back is super easy, it's the front that needs more time with the upper A-arms.
You can get the part numbers off of Tesla EPC catalog (just search the web and you’ll find it). They charged $0.50 a piece for the smaller ones and $1.00 a piece for the bigger ones.
I would also suggest getting some spares of the upper strut nuts in case you drop them into the abyss.

Reactions: TGuy2024 and OxBrew

Alignment,

See my post below. Best I can describe it.
Just installed the Koni Reds today, 9/2021 build Y LR. Stock springs. Cut the front bump stops down 10mm, rears not cut (looked pristine, no evidence they ever got hit). We use the Y like a minivan, just a way to haul or stuff, so I'm not making any comments about performance handling, not my jam.

Just casually driving around they don't feel dramatically different, but on the rough bumps it's a huge improvement. I still feel all the bumps, but they don't give me the kidney shots and teeth rattling impacts the stock struts did. Also feels like the wheels are always on the ground, where before it seemed like the car was vibrating around, wheels bouncing and skipping sideways on each bump.

Theres a really bad street I used to avoid. With the old struts, I couldn't go over 10mph and be comfortable. I just drove it at 30 with the Konis, no problem. Wife didn't stop talking to complain about the bumps; I had to remind her how bad the road was. Even at 10 with the stock set up, it still felt like it was bouncing over the bumps, not planted, kidney punching and rocking violently side to side. All solved.

It's not a comfort suspension; if you're looking for Lexus or Mercedes smooth, this is not that. Best way I can describe it is it feels exactly like the original 9/2021 should have felt from the start. I would never have searched for any upgrade if these were shipped from the factory.

I drove a 2024 Y LR for a couple hours as a demo last month while they replaced the windshield. Tried it out on this same bad stretch of road. I think these Konis are really really similar to the new Tesla "Comfort Suspension" at least for reducing the sharp impacts. Its hard to compare, because there's obviously a lot more sound deadening and better seat cushion foam in the 2024, but just from the POV of can I put up with the bad roads at the same speed as a 2024? I'd say 100%.

I was not going to keep this car, the ride was so bad. Now I can imagine keeping it long term.

FYI: we have 37k miles, and 3-6 months of de icing salt on the roads. The corrosion around the lower strut mounting bolts was so bad I almost couldn't get them out. Had to soak them in penetrating oil and work them back and forth with an impact gun, took up to 5 minutes to free them. Even if you don't change your struts, you should check those bolts, (or have them checked) clean them, and add a light film of never seize in there (and add blue loctite only under the nut). The inside of the stock strut hole was seriously rusty, in bad shape. The bolt cleaned up fine, no issues with it.

I could not be happier with these. Totally solved all my issues.

Reactions: TGuy2024
I am currently running 39 on my factory 19's. Those are 255/45/19. Which modified size do you recommend for those?

I try not to write war and peace, and in doing so miss-set your expectation. To be more clear:

1) Pursing replacement shocks on a '23 or newer 3/Y is a direction with poor, if any, return in ride quality or cost.
2) Instead purchase 18" rims that are 7.5" or 8" wide. I suggest 245/55R, and would look hard at the Conti DWS or the Michelin CC2. Of course I use all weather tires, you may not care. The newer Aero's, as an example, both meet payload and size requirements. Run them as low as you can and not have the TPMS drive you crazy. I'd look for 38, but your present 39 is OK too. Why Tesla doesn't make 18" an option is bewildering, for they fit all but they performance.
3) If I could find a TPS alternative, or setting for same n the car that allowed me to lower my alert to 34 PSI I'd run 36 day to day.

BTW, while tires that rate well for "ride quality" in reviews might be attractive, I suspect they get same from weaker sidewalls. Their is a point with which that's not good for an EV and it's torque delivery/weight profile. YMMV.

Last edited:
Hello,
I have installed UPP Luxury Suspension kit with their mild springs on my Y Performance from 2023 and I noticed a clunk noise while turning the wheel full turn which can be heard from outside (front left side) but is louder inside the cabin.

Have anyone encounter the same issue and how did you fix it?

Hello,
I have installed UPP Luxury Suspension kit with their mild springs on my Y Performance from 2023 and I noticed a clunk noise while turning the wheel full turn which can be heard from outside (front left side) but is louder inside the cabin.

Have anyone encounter the same issue and how did you fix it?
I'm going to take a shot in the dark since I have yet to modify my Y's suspension, but I've had a similar sound on other cars in the past. Check for a loose end link, it's going to be really hard to tell while the car is on the ground and the suspension is under load.

So I come from a 2019 M3 lowered about 1.5" all around on MPP comfort coilovers with 19" signature wheels, square setup, same tire size as OEM. I find my 2024 MY on 19's way more comfortable than that. Even today, I road in a loaner 2023 M3P in the '20s and felt it was still more suitable than my 2019. I find it odd that there are so many complaints about suspension. Are your roads that much worse than Southern California? LA has some pretty horrific streets & freeways.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark since I have yet to modify my Y's suspension, but I've had a similar sound on other cars in the past. Check for a loose end link, it's going to be really hard to tell while the car is on the ground and the suspension is under load.
Hi, we double checked all nuts and links. not an issue from those. The noise does not appear all time and is not very loud. The seller told me to let the suspension settle a couple of days but I am not sure how it will went away just like that. I have also taken some picture of the front springs and to spirals which are very close to each other and there are clearly marks of ripped paint because are touching themselves.

Another big issue I have noticed: inside dampers box there was a manual for installation and setting up the adjustment knob where it was completely wrong.
On youtube, everyone are going counterclockwise being the softest position and from there you start the counting clockwise to desired position while the manual it was saying to go full clockwise and then count to desired position counterclockwise! I removed the rear dampers and pushed them down and youtube version was correct. This is a very unfortunate error from UPP.

Actually the manual was explaining in the exact way as adjustable Tein EnduraProplus which also are identical in term of psysical dimensions (!) which even UPP acknowledged that is true. Before this setup I had for 2 months the EnduraPro Plus with OEM springs (MY Performance 2023) and I was expected a more increase in confort but unfortunately I was dissapointed. The mild springs from UPP are smoothing out only very small bumps or small imperfections but going over potholes or speedbumps is worse than Tein combination with OEM springs and somewhat similar to original tesla suspension.

I wrote about all issues via support UPP email address but they are replying very slow or not at all!

Attachments

• 22.jpeg
    22.jpeg
    441.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 11.jpeg
    11.jpeg
    470.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 44.jpeg
    44.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 33.jpeg
    33.jpeg
    550.3 KB · Views: 3
So I come from a 2019 M3 lowered about 1.5" all around on MPP comfort coilovers with 19" signature wheels, square setup, same tire size as OEM. I find my 2024 MY on 19's way more comfortable than that. Even today, I road in a loaner 2023 M3P in the '20s and felt it was still more suitable than my 2019. I find it odd that there are so many complaints about suspension. Are your roads that much worse than Southern California? LA has some pretty horrific streets & freeways.
I think the complaints vary so much because people are used to different levels of comfort based on what cars they drove previously. I have a 2024 MYP with stock 21” tires. I read so many complaints about the comfort level of this configuration that I almost did not buy it. But after driving it for a few weeks I find it to be very comfortable.

My previous car, which we still own, is a 2019 LR M3. That car is so rough on Southern California roads that I have to check and see if I still have all of my teeth after taking a long drive in it.

Before my M3 I drove a Lexus LS460. That car makes both of my Tesla vehicles feel like they forgot to put any suspension in at all.

Reactions: jaydiculous
when you adjust dampers you ALWAYS go full stiff and back off the same number of clicks. going to beyond full open can damage some dampers. The damping also starts to diverge the further you get from full closed.
Coils that close will contact and need some sort of rubber bumper or they will make noise.

when you adjust dampers you ALWAYS go full stiff and back off the same number of clicks. going to beyond full open can damage some dampers. The damping also starts to diverge the further you get from full closed.
Coils that close will contact and need some sort of rubber bumper or they will make noise.
In my previous post you can see the indications seen on YouTube and also the manual instructions what I had in box with dampers. The manual was clearly wrong because I have pressed the upper mount to see in which position I have the faster rebound/compress.

Those coils definitely contact each other because the paint is ripped after only one day after installation as you can see in the pictures. Rubber band on them? Not a good idea when the coils are touching already while the car is stand still, the rubber will be torn apart immediately. In the rear are just fine also having some gap between coils and maybe on very big bumps will touch each other.