Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Suspension Suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately that is the only review I’ve seen this far.
A matched set is indeed more preferable perhaps. This is why I was leaning towards the flex z but seems the shocks were supposed to be more comfortable.
Perhaps the old mpp was more performance oriented while the new ones are more aimed towards comfort. I really don’t know anymore.

I haven’t checked bushings but I’m assuming installer would have noticed that. Or even the alignment tech. Could’ve been missed, I’ll check it out.

May be going back to oem for the time being….
I won’t be looking back after I park. 😢

View attachment 989702
Maybe you should just do a 180 and embrace the height. Get a MPP lift kit and some Rally Armour Mud Flaps.

@RedwoodMotors can you confirm whether the Ohlins RT needs to be resprung and revalved for use from a 3 to a Y? I am looking at a used kit from somebody who originally bought their RT kit from you. We're confused because the RT kit doesn't make a distinction between the 3 or the Y.
We’re referring to the off the shelf RT DFV’s not the Redwood customs right?

In this case I have this setup purchased from Redwood with their Aluminum Top Hats and Swift Springs at 12k/11k.

I did not have them revalved and they work great in my use case (street/autocross/track). I will warn they are raw, much more aggressive than Redwood customs if you’re looking for comfort.

Can you have them revalved? Absolutely yes! I believe Redwood has this service. I highly recommend having Redwood or any official Ohlins partner inspect and refresh 2nd hand sets. It would be in your best interest to do so, good time to have them spec’ed to your driving style.

I’ve also heard Ohlins has plans to release a tamed MY specific kit. Perhaps Redwood or ZEVcentric can confirm.

@RedwoodMotors can you confirm whether the Ohlins RT needs to be resprung and revalved for use from a 3 to a Y? I am looking at a used kit from somebody who originally bought their RT kit from you. We're confused because the RT kit doesn't make a distinction between the 3 or the Y.
The same kit works on both. I am happy with my RT on the Y. However, I drive fast and on a brutal road with the suspension lifted. I think I could get away with somewhat softer springs. I have the damping on the softer side at the moment. However, if I wanted to drive harder and faster, the car would handle better with the damping tightened up a bit. On the track, I expect the current setup would be pretty good on tight settings with traction control disabled and sticky track tires that can handle heat.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
We’re referring to the off the shelf RT DFV’s not the Redwood customs right?

In this case I have this setup purchased from Redwood with their Aluminum Top Hats and Swift Springs at 12k/11k.

I did not have them revalved and they work great in my use case (street/autocross/track). I will warn they are raw, much more aggressive than Redwood customs if you’re looking for comfort.

Can you have them revalved? Absolutely yes! I believe Redwood has this service. I highly recommend having Redwood or any official Ohlins partner inspect and refresh 2nd hand sets. It would be in your best interest to do so, good time to have them spec’ed to your driving style.

I’ve also heard Ohlins has plans to release a tamed MY specific kit. Perhaps Redwood or ZEVcentric can confirm.

Yes, the off the shelf kit. I don't mind driving a more aggressive suspension (have Penskes on my Spec Miata and MCS on my GT3 stree/strack) set up, but I don't want another track car.

Good to know they plan offer a tamed MY kit, maybe I'll keep an eye out for that.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
The same kit works on both. I am happy with my RT on the Y. However, I drive fast and on a brutal road with the suspension lifted. I think I could get away with somewhat softer springs. I have the damping on the softer side at the moment. However, if I wanted to drive harder and faster, the car would handle better with the damping tightened up a bit. On the track, I expect the current setup would be pretty good on tight settings with traction control disabled and sticky track tires that can handle heat.

I know that physically fits, but I'm interested in hearing Redwood's thoughts on valving.

I know that physically fits, but I'm interested in hearing Redwood's thoughts on valving.
Call and ask. They'll tell you it's a bit stiff for the road, is my guess. The rear spring rate is high. But it's RT, not R, so you get what's advertised. Also, I'm lifted, so my roll center is unusually high. It can probably go softer when lower and not driven on bumpier roads. If I went too much softer or lower, I'd bottom out a lot.

Great thread. Kudos to the vendors trying to help the OP and each of us as individual clients. Hope everyone continues to support ZEV, MPP, EAS etc. Each of them helped me a lot with various questions even without purchasing. As we all know the Y suspension is not great. Understatement. Everything is a tradeoff when you start tinkering with it. PSA, it will never be perfect. I have a comparison review that I have started but haven't posted yet because I've actually gone from oem YP to Flex Z to MPP Comforts (through EAS). Will try to post that sometime soon.

To echo Tom and others, you get what pay for. I wanted to eliminate wheel gap and try to smooth out the jitteriness and eliminate highway float. Flex Z accomplishes this mostly and at a mid price point. However, I had front left spring boing at times (because of the design) and the rear of the car still was still crashy for my liking especially with a load, people. Fronts actually felt ok mostly and performance was decent. I ran 7/10 mostly for settings with 275/40/20 DWS. Car looked amazing and was smoother vs oem but I wanted to solve the issues I still had.

After a massive amount of research and discussions with each of those vendors I decided on MPP Comforts. I would have gone Ohlins GT if I had the cash but I also didn't want the added maintenance and so whatever additional comfort or performance can be had with those wasnt worth it for me.

For my needs, the MPP Comforts was an awesome upgrade! They are honestly night and day better in comparison to either previous setup but they should be as they are twice the cost of Flex Z. It's so hard to put into words but as a general feeling between the two MPP just feels so much more sophisticated or educated. Immediately the car felt different with road transitions like low to high, entrances, driveways etc. The extra droop and travel of MPP is massively noticeable vs Flex Z. I would find myself cringing at times on my normal drives with oem and Flex Z like quick lownto high transitions or sharp stuff and the MPP just devours that stuff. I no longer cringe driving around town. Car is low and tight and obviously still a bit stiff but my car actually feels like a performance car should now. So much more composed. So much more stable. So much better balance. Again hard to put into words. MPP supports the car in a way that feels natural. I've driven model 3s and always wanted my YP to feel like a 3. I believe MPP is as close as you can get to it feeling like a 3. I have no spring bind or noise. Car corners flat and feels just totally stupid coming out of slow tight turns or swooping on/off ramps. I have to watch my speed because I can really push the car now. It has no highway float at all. Car should not feel this good and I even went back to some light weight 21's with staggered 255/40 and 275/40 tires, 36-38 psi. For settings during summer I was 12/12 fr, 11/9 rear and after the tires were warmed the car would have this this liquid like sensation at times, crazy awesome. Now that Temps are colder I've gone to 13/12, 12/12 to keep things a little softer.

My car is not perfect though. I still have the notorious Y rattles front door, rear Amp, rear door, rear hatch, rear view mirror lol especially when all the plastics are cold. I will address some of that at some point but for now...I am happy.

Do your research, talk with vendors, understand the tradeoffs and be prepared for some trial and error. I did the installs in my garage with me teenage son (and labradoodle) and we had a blast each time.

While I'm here, quick thanks to Tom at EAS and massive thank you to Jesse at MPP who helped me before during and after install with various newb questions. (and everyone in that old MPP mega thread)

Good luck in your quest OP! MPP Comforts with your wheel/tire setup and dialed in settings would be a great upgrade...imo. My .02 cents.

Last edited:
...and a couple pics, cuz who doesn't like a pics right...

20231028_155201.jpg

20230910_081657.jpg

Call and ask. They'll tell you it's a bit stiff for the road, is my guess. The rear spring rate is high. But it's RT, not R, so you get what's advertised. Also, I'm lifted, so my roll center is unusually high. It can probably go softer when lower and not driven on bumpier roads. If I went too much softer or lower, I'd bottom out a lot.

I already contacted them buy havent heard back.
I'm not an engineer, but I'm pretty sure it's not the best design to have threads with a bending force applied.

That’s a standard design for adjustable arms