Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Suspension Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was waiting for the Model Y refresh, but once found out it wasn't coming anytime soon, I jumped on a 24' MYLR a few weeks ago. Since my goal was to get the most comfortable setup, I went with 19" wheels.

So first of all, I should specify that this is a 2-year lease. My priority is road comfort and minimum NVH.

I had the ear pressure issue with the rear hatch but finally got it under control: Post

Now, the last piece of the puzzle, is the ride. After two long trips, I cannot help but wonder how much happier I would be with a better ride - maybe with a suspension upgrade. I was contemplating, if I don't go overboard and just focus on the ride, I can install them myself and take them off before the lease return and sell them second-hand.

Currently, I got my eyes on the Koni Red FSD: Link
If the above price is right, $600ish is not that bad for a much-improved ride. I love the rest of the car, so it would make it worth it. I have test driven a Model 3 Highland and loved how it rode. If anything, it was too smooth for that car. I am also not worried about the ride height. I am trying to get the smoothest ride possible on a long drive.

I come from Audi/BMW background and have installed coilovers a few times by myself before. I take it that I would be able to install this myself? Would I need an alignment after this? even though this is just a shock install?

I would love to know your thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: EVChris
I recently got a set of Mountain Pass adjustable coil overs installed on my car by a local shop. Per MPP, the MY suspension setup is very similar to an Audi A4, so if you have experience with installing them on Audis, I assume the MY would be pretty straight forward for you. I did get an alignment done after the install, as recommended by MPP.

TGuy2024:
I strongly recommend you do an advanced search before you buy. Yes, it takes time, and you won't find a clearly definitive answer, but you'll learn from the several dozen members that have posted their experiences.

Keep in mind that suspension needs are regionally dependent. Ribbon smooth Maryland highways are very different than suburban NYC or the DFW region.

I am leaning toward the Koni Red FSD because this is a leased car. I have to swap it back out before returning the car in 2 years. So I am trying to see if $600 for 2 years is worth it. Do I still need an alignment if I am just doing the shocks?

If I did not lease this car, I would be installing Mountain Pass Adjustable Coilovers right now without this post.

Had the Mountain Pass Performance adjustable coil overs installed on my 21 MYLR a week ago. The shop that installed them is well know in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. They have installed this product on numerous Teslas. They told me from the beginning that I will need to bring it back to them after about 1000 miles to get the coil overs adjusted. I will be doing that sometime in the near future. It seems that the rebound on the rear end needs to soften. Getting a good jolt at the present time.

Had the Mountain Pass Performance adjustable coil overs installed on my 21 MYLR a week ago. The shop that installed them is well know in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. They have installed this product on numerous Teslas. They told me from the beginning that I will need to bring it back to them after about 1000 miles to get the coil overs adjusted. I will be doing that sometime in the near future. It seems that the rebound on the rear end needs to soften. Getting a good jolt at the present time.
Do you know what kind of adjustment they are talking about? I just had the MPP adjustable coil overs installed last week too. The shop I used worked on many Teslas but didn't tell me to bring it back for adjustment.

gx9901,
This shop said drive it 1000+ miles. The tech said this help with the coil overs loosen up. Plus I can determine what I want to change with the settings. MPP has a pre determine settings with the suspension that can be adjusted. My MPP is set at the recommended settings by MPP. Sorry I am not very mechanical and do not know all the lingo.

The first thing you may check is the lease agreement & Tesla’s new vehicle warranty and read the fine-print on modifications.. to make sure that the modification is allowed and doesn’t void the warranty.
They are not allowed. Even having a tint upon return, they charge for that.

As I said in the OP, I plan to switch it back to stock shocks before returning, hopefully sell the aftermarket ones to minimize the cost.

gx9901,
This shop said drive it 1000+ miles. The tech said this help with the coil overs loosen up. Plus I can determine what I want to change with the settings. MPP has a pre determine settings with the suspension that can be adjusted. My MPP is set at the recommended settings by MPP. Sorry I am not very mechanical and do not know all the lingo.
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like they’re talking about the compression/rebound settings. I plan to adjust them myself after some break-in time.

Reactions: Pacernow
OP:

Tire pressure, volume, and sidewall all have significant affect on ride quality. Yes, the 19’s ride better than the 20’s. However, the sidewall is still “upright” (so not bulged). Meaning the tread width and the rim width are about the same. This makes it difficult for the sidewall to flex. To say nothing of curb rash.

In a perfect world you would want a taller and wider tire with a narrow rim running at lowered pressures. As one solution, I bought model 3 18”s and will run taller and wider tires at 37psi. I expect excellent ride improvement when I convert this fall.

Highly resellable, and of course no labor costs losses to speak of.

Ymmv.

• Informative
Reactions: TGuy2024 and hydro
So I took my MYLR to Tesla Service this morning. They said that my Y was as God intended it which was to put hair on your chest. They also said it only had 500 miles on it and that the suspension needed to break in (but when pressed said that wouldn't change much at 5000).

They said MYP and MYLR have different suspensions but were adamant that there is no comfort suspension for the Y. However, they did say that Model 3 Highland has a new suspension.

My LR feels like what I'd expect an MYP would feel like. So I'm going to get some Koni Reds.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tm1v2