Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Blowing cold air but only on auto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all not sure how active the group is but had a quick query hoping someone might be able to help with?

Recently, was absolutely fine before but ive started to feel cold air being blown even at temperatures of 20, 21 and 22 degrees. I normally keep my heating on manual and was fine but recently starting blowing cold air. I took the car (Model Y LR 72 reg) to the SC and they mentioned everything is ok and they couldn’t replicate the fault, left the heating running at max not at the specific temperatures, did some thermal testing and confirmed everything is within acceptable levels. Has anyone had this? Is it simply the internal temperature has reached the specified temperature and the cold air is to cool it down to maintain the set temperature. Tesla ask you to use auto but manual worked well for me in the past. If anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

Hi all not sure how active the group is but had a quick query hoping someone might be able to help with?

Recently, was absolutely fine before but ive started to feel cold air being blown even at temperatures of 20, 21 and 22 degrees. I normally keep my heating on manual and was fine but recently starting blowing cold air. I took the car (Model Y LR 72 reg) to the SC and they mentioned everything is ok and they couldn’t replicate the fault, left the heating running at max not at the specific temperatures, did some thermal testing and confirmed everything is within acceptable levels. Has anyone had this? Is it simply the internal temperature has reached the specified temperature and the cold air is to cool it down to maintain the set temperature. Tesla ask you to use auto but manual worked well for me in the past. If anyone can help, it would be appreciated.
The group? Very active. This thread? Not so much. You might get more replies starting a new thread as everyone that sees this one will assume you are asking something about your Y's delivery.

Thanks all for your replies. I normally have a couple of blowers on but not all, so I'll give that a go and see how I get on. Used to work fine in manual and would always be warm so not sure if I was imagining that or if something had recently changed when I started noticing it.

Not just you - my 2019 Model 3 Performance was away for a repair for a month. When it came back it was blowing noticably colder air around the previous perfect temperature, which was 21. Now it varies over time. If I set it to 21 when I get in, its too cold. If I go higher to say 25, and then back down to 21, its warmer. Very odd.

Thanks all for your replies. I normally have a couple of blowers on but not all, so I'll give that a go and see how I get on. Used to work fine in manual and would always be warm so not sure if I was imagining that or if something had recently changed when I started noticing it.
How long have you had the car? If you've only owned it during cold weather so far, the behaviour you describe is somewhat normal when the weather starts to warm a little. While the general temperature inside the car may be at the set point on the climate control, the adjustments the system is making sometimes blows cooler air than you'd expect. This happens particularly when there's any direct sunlight. It seems to me that the system may adjust too quickly sometimes and makes micro adjustments.

Try pointing the vents in different directions so you don't feel the direct air current.

My issue described above could theoretically be the above ^ (seasonal weather variation). I bought my car in September 2023 during autumn/winter, and its only just started to become sunny and warm. Will be interesting to see how it behaves over the years.