Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The temperature in town yesterday was a whopping 103 degrees. I had to go to a store and was there about an hour. When getting back to the car, the temperature on the dash said 114. I turned on the Aircon and was driving home. Set the TEMP inside to LOW. All the way home it was blowing cool but not cold and the temperature on the screen showed 104 by the time I got home.

I then took out our gas vehicle and drove to test what was going on. Set it on low and it blew really cold air. I purchased the car last week and I am a bit worried. Has anyone else had this issue?

Reactions: beachmiles
The temperature in town yesterday was a whopping 103 degrees. I had to go to a store and was there about an hour. When getting back to the car, the temperature on the dash said 114. I turned on the Aircon and was driving home. Set the TEMP inside to LOW. All the way home it was blowing cool but not cold and the temperature on the screen showed 104 by the time I got home.

I then took out our gas vehicle and drove to test what was going on. Set it on low and it blew really cold air. I purchased the car last week and I am a bit worried. Has anyone else had this issue?

1. Get in the habit of grabbing your phone when you are finishing up shopping, and starting the AC (which you cant do in your gas car). The car will be cool inside by the time you check out at the register. There is no reason in a Tesla not to do this.

2. Setting it to "LOW" doesnt make it cool any faster (in any car). The HVAC system is going to run full bore if its set to 72 inside and its 100 outside, setting it to low wont make it cool the car any faster.

3. It was about 102-105 here yesterday (I live in Temecula). It may have been 105 outside, but if your car sat in the sun for an hour, it definitely was not 105 inside the car while it was parked. It was probably 145-150, or maybe even a bit higher than that.

4. New model 3s and Ys have heat pumps, which are more efficient but not as good at the extremes as non heat pump HVAC systems. They dont cool quite as good when the temperature is super hot, and they dont heat quite as good when the temperature is around freezing.

This makes it even more important to get in the habit of starting the HVAC remotely, when out and about. Its one of those things that might take a bit of getting used to in a "new workflow" thing, but once you do, you will never have to drive in a car thats too hot, or too cold, again. I do this before every drive, even starting the HVAC remotely while I am making my morning coffee before I drive into the office, even though my car is in my garage.

1. Get in the habit of grabbing your phone when you are finishing up shopping, and starting the AC (which you cant do in your gas car). The car will be cool inside by the time you check out at the register. There is no reason in a Tesla not to do this.

2. Setting it to "LOW" doesnt make it cool any faster (in any car). The HVAC system is going to run full bore if its set to 72 inside and its 100 outside, setting it to low wont make it cool the car any faster.

3. It was about 102-105 here yesterday (I live in Temecula). It may have been 105 outside, but if your car sat in the sun for an hour, it definitely was not 105 inside the car while it was parked. It was probably 145-150, or maybe even a bit higher than that.

4. New model 3s and Ys have heat pumps, which are more efficient but not as good at the extremes as non heat pump HVAC systems. They dont cool quite as good when the temperature is super hot, and they dont heat quite as good when the temperature is around freezing.

This makes it even more important to get in the habit of starting the HVAC remotely, when out and about. Its one of those things that might take a bit of getting used to in a "new workflow" thing, but once you do, you will never have to drive in a car thats too hot, or too cold, again. I do this before every drive, even starting the HVAC remotely while I am making my morning coffee before I drive into the office.
Thanks very much for the advice. Next time that I am in this situation, I will start the HVAC remotely as you suggested maybe 10 minutes or so before going to the car. I am about 15 miles north of Temecula.

How far did you travel, after being parked for an hour? What color is your Tesla?
jjrandorin explains the characteristics of the Tesla HVAC. I know if my (red) car is out, getting heat-soaked for over an hour, in TX 110f full sun, it takes several minutes/miles before the HVAC has achieved cold air at the vent opening.

How far did you travel, after being parked for an hour? What color is your Tesla?
jjrandorin explains the characteristics of the Tesla HVAC. I know if my car is out, getting heat-soaked for over an hour, in TX 110f full sun, it takes several minutes/miles before the HVAC has achieved cold air at the vent opening.
When leaving the parking lot, It took me about 15/20 minutes to get home. My car is Blue and I am guessing that draws more heat than the white one.

Reactions: Pianewman
When leaving the parking lot, It took me about 15/20 minutes to get home. My car is Blue and I am guessing that draws more heat than the white one.

Maybe.. My model 3 is blue as well (my wifes model Y is the dark grey color). I also have 20% window tint all around, except for the windshield, and I put a covercraft windshield screen up every single time I park anywhere but my garage.

Reactions: Pianewman
One time my Model Y AC is blowing warm air when it's 100F outside and Autopilot computer also malfunctioned. Restarting the computer with the wheel buttons didn't help but shutting down the entire car for 10 mins did seem to fix the issue.

Pretty concerning though, hopefully it's nothing permanent.

Tesla has had issues with their temperature sensors and their HVAC code for years now. The cabin heater unfortunately often gets used when only cooling is desired. Seems like it happens for both the resistive and heat pump cabin heaters.
They need to do a major rewrite on this HVAC logic and ideally give the user more thermostat control like having 2 temperature setpoints like a wall thermostat. People have been asking for a basic heater off button for years but I believe the techno king is anti more user controls.

The only way to guarantee the cabin heater is not used is to set the temp to LO with the resistive cabin heater but I believe this also works for heat pump models.