Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My disaster of a delivery experience (No quality control)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally received the check today, so this saga has come to a close (assuming it does not bounce).

I had a good and fun run with my first three Teslas with great customer service from the service centers, sales, etc. It's sad that Tesla caused things to go so poorly on my fourth purchase. It cost them someone who was headed to become a lifelong customer (me) and likely a lot more sales in the future from my neighbors, friends, and those that read about this sh*tshow on this thread.

Lol so when are you rolling that buyback cash into a Cybertruck??

I’d say “congrats” but I feel like there are no winners here…

Btw did you know it usually takes a lemon tree 2 years to bear fruit? Your lemon Tesla actually ripened ahead of schedule 🍋

Lol so when are you rolling that buyback cash into a Cybertruck??

I’d say “congrats” but I feel like there are no winners here…

Btw did you know it usually takes a lemon tree 2 years to bear fruit? Your lemon Tesla actually ripened ahead of schedule 🍋

There actually is a winner. I would have NEVER considered a Rivian if Tesla had not treated me so poorly, but not only did I consider it, I have been driving an R1S for months and telling everyone how great it is. And I bought stock in Rivian too, which I again would never have done, if not for the way Tesla treated me. Rivian won IMO.

There actually is a winner. I would have NEVER considered a Rivian if Tesla had not treated me so poorly, but not only did I consider it, I have been driving an R1S for months and telling everyone how great it is. And I bought stock in Rivian too, which I again would never have done, if not for the way Tesla treated me. Rivian won IMO.
I really wanted to love the R1S after our S Plaid disaster (ended in a buyback). I had written off Tesla, but the R1S ride quality felt so harsh and the power delivery jerky (can't think of a better way to explain it). Have they rectified that via updates?
That, coupled with the fact that Rivian doesn't lease, led us to ordering an X Plaid and crossing fingers. I'll never outright purchase another EV again as the risk to end up severly upside down is so high.

Test rode the iX, EQS and Q8 etron as well. None of them are great competitors to Rivian or Tesla. Only the iX was close, but we wanted the optionality of a 3rd row. I'm hoping this X gamble pays off...

Did you have a chance to try Rivian service?

Twice. Once for a piece of window trim that was coming detached upon delivery (oddly on the driver's side which happened on, I believe 2 or 3 of my Teslas as well shortly after I bought them. 2nd time for service was for a recall. Both appointments took way less time than the estimates they gave me, and they CALLED me when they were done...something Tesla has not done in 5 years.

Twice. Once for a piece of window trim that was coming detached upon delivery (oddly on the driver's side which happened on, I believe 2 or 3 of my Teslas as well shortly after I bought them. 2nd time for service was for a recall. Both appointments took way less time than the estimates they gave me, and they CALLED me when they were done...something Tesla has not done in 5 years.

Tesla had amazing service for the first few years then it went down hill with the 3. Rivan will be the same, besides Rivan is owned mostly by Bezos and we all know how cheap he is so enjoy it while you can.

Reactions: CleanDemon

Yeah I hear ya. I was a Tesla fanboi with Powerwalls, 2 red teslas, and 2 Tesla wall connectors. Talk about holeydonut being an idiot moron.

Anyway I never would have considered Mercedes but now we have a GLS and EQS (with AMG styling package!). So much better service and cars.

Wow, me too!!! I have owned 5 red Teslas (It's spelled with a capital T by the way) and 10 Tesla wall connectors. I wouldn't touch a Mercedes EQS if they gave me 20 of them for free. Enjoy your expensive toy if you buy it. I'm sure the service on that is more expensive than an ICE vehicle. While I am typing this I just went through my 6th red Tesla (the T is capital).
All kidding aside I have owned 3 MB's and I am laughing MAO when you say better service and cars.

Wow, me too!!! I have owned 5 red Teslas (It's spelled with a capital T by the way) and 10 Tesla wall connectors. I wouldn't touch a Mercedes EQS if they gave me 20 of them for free. Enjoy your expensive toy if you buy it. I'm sure the service on that is more expensive than an ICE vehicle. While I am typing this I just went through my 6th red Tesla (the T is capital).
All kidding aside I have owned 3 MB's and I am laughing MAO when you say better service and cars.

Notice how the more Teslas you buy, the dumber you sound.

• Funny
Reactions: Genie
Can you give a run down of features and experience with Rivian. Congrats on cutting that tangled Tesla cord ... I'll say it again, Jeeze Louise, what a mess.

Can you give a run down of features and experience with Rivian. Congrats on cutting that tangled Tesla cord ... I'll say it again, Jeeze Louise, what a mess.

The vehicle has been great. It feels like when I got my first Model S 9+ years ago....some odd software things, growing pains at the service centers, but tons of frequent software updates that make big changes similar to Tesla early on.

As an example, when I first got my R1S, the harsh suspension (no matter the setting) would have been my biggest let down. I did get the all terrain tires, so I was not expecting a ride on butter to begin with, but then the most recent software update made the air suspension "more comfortable". I thought I would not really notice a difference, but it is amazing. Speed bumps and driving on uneven concrete panel roads (Seattle) went from pretty jarring to extremely smooth and leap frogged how I would describe the air suspensions on my MS's and MX. How that can be done with a software update is amazing.

Another note, I love having Tidal as one of the streaming options in my Rivian. The bitrate/quality is so much higher than Spotify or LiveOne (if you pay for one of the higher quality options). Also, there is a built in hot spot. I thought that would be useless, but on our first road trip, there were times the car had service when our phones did not, so that kept us connected the whole time...for free.

I also had a small battery backup for my house that would keep the fridges and internet and some lights on during an outage. No need for that anymore since I can get 2000w from the outlet in my R1S and plug it right into my power inlet which will keep the house going for a week with everything we need. We also used the power outlet to run a two burner induction stove and fridge cooler while camping. No need for gas to cook or ice for the cooler!

Service with Rivian has been difficult to get quick appointments for because they are inundated (similar to my experiences with Tesla from 2014 to at least 2019), but Rivian has been so much easier to work with compared to Tesla in the past year. Just the fact that Rivian calls when service is done (or when there is any sort of update) with the vehicle makes the customer service experience so much better than the glitchy Tesla app that might or might not deliver the service messages. The number of times the Tesla app notified me of a new message from service only to show no new messages over the past two years is in the dozens. It was incredibly frustrating. And then if you try to call the service center, the system yells at you "You MUST use the app for all service requests", but the app does not work and nobody at the service center answers the d*mn phone. At least Rivian has answered 100% of the time within a few minutes so far.

That cover it?

Reactions: CyberGus
The vehicle has been great. It feels like when I got my first Model S 9+ years ago....some odd software things, growing pains at the service centers, but tons of frequent software updates that make big changes similar to Tesla early on.

As an example, when I first got my R1S, the harsh suspension (no matter the setting) would have been my biggest let down. I did get the all terrain tires, so I was not expecting a ride on butter to begin with, but then the most recent software update made the air suspension "more comfortable". I thought I would not really notice a difference, but it is amazing. Speed bumps and driving on uneven concrete panel roads (Seattle) went from pretty jarring to extremely smooth and leap frogged how I would describe the air suspensions on my MS's and MX. How that can be done with a software update is amazing.

Another note, I love having Tidal as one of the streaming options in my Rivian. The bitrate/quality is so much higher than Spotify or LiveOne (if you pay for one of the higher quality options). Also, there is a built in hot spot. I thought that would be useless, but on our first road trip, there were times the car had service when our phones did not, so that kept us connected the whole time...for free.

I also had a small battery backup for my house that would keep the fridges and internet and some lights on during an outage. No need for that anymore since I can get 2000w from the outlet in my R1S and plug it right into my power inlet which will keep the house going for a week with everything we need. We also used the power outlet to run a two burner induction stove and fridge cooler while camping. No need for gas to cook or ice for the cooler!

Service with Rivian has been difficult to get quick appointments for because they are inundated (similar to my experiences with Tesla from 2014 to at least 2019), but Rivian has been so much easier to work with compared to Tesla in the past year. Just the fact that Rivian calls when service is done (or when there is any sort of update) with the vehicle makes the customer service experience so much better than the glitchy Tesla app that might or might not deliver the service messages. The number of times the Tesla app notified me of a new message from service only to show no new messages over the past two years is in the dozens. It was incredibly frustrating. And then if you try to call the service center, the system yells at you "You MUST use the app for all service requests", but the app does not work and nobody at the service center answers the d*mn phone. At least Rivian has answered 100% of the time within a few minutes so far.

That cover it?
Awesome write up, thank you. How do you charge, at home and on the road?

Awesome write up, thank you. How do you charge, at home and on the road?

Home is 95% of our charging. Solar powers 100% of our household usage too. Another thing to note....the range on the Rivian is real. when I drive 200 miles, ~200 miles of range is what gets used. I no longer have to use 70% of Tesla's claimed range in my head all the time. I understand why Porsche and many other EV manufacturers use a conservative number on their EPA estimates now!