Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hpc 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Universal Mobile Connector
Maximum 50 amp circuit, 40 amp draw. 208 to 250 volt service.
Cable length: 18 feet
Charge Port is on Driver's side, towards the rear of the vehicle.
Standard outlet: NEMA 14-50
All cars will receive a basic 120v adapter, other popular 240v adapters will launch shortly after start of production.
No Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter, Service Disconnect not required.
Outlet should be installed in a dry location at least 3 feet above ground.
I hope this helps! Please contact me with any questions or concerns.

"No ground fault circuit interrupter."
"Service Disconnect not required."

Can someone explain these to me?

GFI is a protection that detects a short or connection from one phase to ground to prevent shock as a safety device. This means that it is built into the UMC itself and should not be installed as a GFI breaker.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/ground-fault-interrupter

Service Disconnect is basically an off switch to depower the unit. For some applications of other devices a service disconnect is required by code to be able to shut it off in close proximity to the operation.

Last edited:
Service Disconnect is basically an off switch to depower the unit. For some applications of other devices a service disconnect is required by code to be able to shut it off in close proximity to the operation.

Does that imply no power draw if the UMC is left plugged into the 14-50 but not into the car?! Lloyd, I may not be buying that used on/off switch from you after all ;)

Regarding the service disconnect, the code requires "a means of disconnect" for 240v. Typically, 240v devices are hard wired and a disconnect switch is needed to de-energize the device. In the case of the UMC, being a portable device the plug serves as the "means of disconnect". Different requirements come into play on devices above the UMC ratings which is one reason why the HPC requires a disconnect switch.

GFI is a protection that detects a short or connection from one phase to ground to prevent shock as a safety device. This means that it is built into the UMC itself and should not be installed as a GFI breaker.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/ground-fault-interrupter

Ok, thanks.

Forgive my ignorance, but I am meeting with two electricians over the next couple of days. I want to make sure I dictate precisely what is needed.

The electricians stated that installing a 14-50 NEMA plug with 240V 50A service would be no big deal. They both suggested installing a subpanel next to the plug. Would it be standard to install a GFCI in this case? If so, is that something -- typically -- local code would require? If not, I am assuming that if I tell them not to install a GFCI on this plug they would know more or less what I am suggesting...

Secondly, is a service disconnect something standard for a circuit like this as well? You mentioned that some devices require this -- like what? In this case, I would be telling them one is not necessary.

Thanks

You may also want to check local code. Our external 110v outlets have to be 18" above grade, but 220v must be 4'......don't ask me to explain why, I have no idea. (There's not even any snow here, ever!)

My guess is that four feet keeps little kids from sticking coat hangers in the 220--not that they would fare much better if the did it to the 110.

Does anyone know if the High Power Wall Connector is hard wired or a plug in? There's no indication in this information from Tesla. And if it's a plug it, what outlet is needed, NEMA 14-50 or something else?

High Power Wall Connector

Electrical requirements:
Maximum 100 amp circuit, 80 amp draw. 208 to 250 volt service.

Power level is field adjustable to any of the following settings:
Circuit / Draw
100 / 80
90 / 72
80 / 64
70 / 56
60 / 48
50 / 40
40 / 32

Cable length: 25 feet

Charge Port is on Driver's side, towards the rear of the vehicle.

Dimensions:
Height: 20" (508 mm) (Includes cable hanger)
Width: 5.75" (146 mm)
Depth: 3.75" (95 mm)

Weight: 20 lbs

The High Power Wall Connector is rated to be installed outdoors.

Does anyone know if the High Power Wall Connector is hard wired or a plug in? There's no indication in this information from Tesla. And if it's a plug it, what outlet is needed, NEMA 14-50 or something else?

I am fairly certain it is hard wired. It is designed for more than 40 amps and an electrician can not put a load of more than 40 amps on a NEMA 14-50.

That said it is easy for an electrician or even a DIY to add a plug for a hard wired unit. I actually did this for my HPC. My HPC connects to a NEMA 14-50 but i realise this is not code compliant and will modify if/when i sell the house.

Last edited:
It would not surprise me if Tesla made two versions of the HPWC; a hard wire version and a plug-in version. The hard wire version would be adjustable up to the 80 amp draw to give the user/installer the ability to match charging needs and circuit size. The plug-in version would be limited to 40 amp draw and also give the user/installer the ability to match lower charging needs and circuit size. There are folks that would opt for a plug-in version of the HPWC vs. the UMC due to wanting a wall mounted type of device rather than a over-sized plug-in cord. We will see.

Last edited:
There are folks that would opt for a plug-in version of the HPWC vs. the MPC due to wanting a wall mounted type of device rather than a over-sized plug-in cord.

+1

I got an HPC for my roadster not because I need 70Amp, but more because I want something neat on the wall rather than an ugly unit dangling from a wall plug.

HPWC is made for a hard wired connection only.

untitled.png

Thinking about this, being a hopeless DIY I could add a plug, but what would be the point? The Universal connector's capacity is a 50 amp circuit with a 40 amp draw. Those are the specs for my current outdoor curbside set-up for my Volt, which I'll be using for the Model S. Even if I added a plug to the HWPC I'd gain nothing over the Universal connector in terms of charging speed/efficiency for the Model S, as it would operate on the limits of the 50/40 set up I have now. And if I upgraded the wiring and breaker to handle 80 amp draw, it would be for naught, as there are no NEMA plugs that I can find which handle more than 50 amps.

It would not surprise me if Tesla made two versions of the HPWC; a hard wire version and a plug-in version. The hard wire version would be adjustable up to the 80 amp draw to give the user/installer the ability to match charging needs and circuit size. The plug-in version would be limited to 40 amp draw and also give the user/installer the ability to match lower charging needs and circuit size. There are folks that would opt for a plug-in version of the HPWC vs. the UMC due to wanting a wall mounted type of device rather than a over-sized plug-in cord. We will see.