Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hpc 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Larry, that makes much more sense. I couldn't see why we'd need to fully recharge in an hour at home. Makes sense that the home ones are "standard" while the superchargers give you the "quick boost"

Volume is low, but it sounds like he says the 90kw charger can get you 100 miles in 22 minutes (so an hour and 6 minutes from empty to 100% full in 300 mile pack)

Just to restate that: Nearing 100% SoC, the charging current drops considerably. See the charging rates in Tom Saxton's blog entry

Tesla_Charging_240V_70A.png

If you want to minimize the overall time spent charging and maximize the time spent driving, charge up to 80% SOC and head back on the road.

I sent an E-mail to Tesla over the weekend and asked when the HPC2 would be available for sale. Tesla responded that their first priority would be making sure that all of the current deliveries have an HPC2 available to them when they receive their car. They anticipated that HPC2's would be available on the Tesla website in about two months to accomodate those that are anxious to be ready for their new car!!

Don't know if this has been posted before was e-mailed this information about the HPC:

· The High Power Wall Connecter (HPWC) is rated for outdoor weather conditions
· HPWC plugs into a NEMA 14-50
The outlet type
o your house’s breaker must be 100A and rated for an 80A continuous draw from Model S.
· The HPWC is wall mounted and hard wired to your NEMA 14-50
o If you were to yank on the cord really hard, though, it detaches for safety reasons
· Preliminary specs of HPWC
o Height
§ 20” (508 mm including cable hanger)
o Width
§ 5.75” (146 mm)
o Depth
§ 3.75” (95mm)
· Cable length
o 25 feet
· Charge port is on drivers side behind rear tail light
· Weight
o 20 lbs

Why does it say NEMA 14-50 then talk about 100A and being hardwired? I always thought NEMA 14-50 was a plug type and referred to 50A but guess that's not correct.
No you're right. Whoever wrote the above email is mistaken. Hardwired means you don't have a plug (NEMA 14-50 or otherwise) in between. Though if you don't have 100 amps available, I'm sure the HPWC can be set for a lower amperage.

Thanks. That's what I thought but wasn't sure. The other specs are likely accurate so the cord length of 25 feet seems the same as the old HPC. They called it HPWC too instead of HPC. I wonder if that is the new term for HPC or if that is also a mix up of the specs from the new UMC.

Here is some info I just got from Customer service that I was allowed to share. They advised to wait if possible until a tear sheet was available, but this should help for planning.

Since we are still making some finishing touches on the High Power Wall Connector, I don’t have an official tear sheet, although I will share as much information as I can. If you don’t have to complete this project now, I would wait until we officially have everything posted, although I only suspect possible mounting and aesthetic updates, not wiring/amperage changes.

Here are some specifications regarding our charging equipment (both the High Power Wall Connector & The Universal Mobile Connector) for Model S to help you prepare for the installation.

High Power Wall Connector

Electrical requirements:
Maximum 100 amp circuit, 80 amp draw. 208 to 250 volt service.

Power level is field adjustable to any of the following settings:
Circuit / Draw
100 / 80
90 / 72
80 / 64
70 / 56
60 / 48
50 / 40
40 / 32

Cable length: 25 feet

Charge Port is on Driver's side, towards the rear of the vehicle.

Dimensions:
Height: 20" (508 mm) (Includes cable hanger)
Width: 5.75" (146 mm)
Depth: 3.75" (95 mm)

Weight: 20 lbs

The High Power Wall Connector is rated to be installed outdoors.

Universal Mobile Connector

Maximum 50 amp circuit, 40 amp draw. 208 to 250 volt service.

Cable length: 18 feet

Charge Port is on Driver's side, towards the rear of the vehicle.

Standard outlet: NEMA 14-50

All cars will receive a basic 120v adapter, other popular 240v adapters will launch shortly after start of production.

No Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter, Service Disconnect not required.

Outlet should be installed in a dry location at least 3 feet above ground.

I hope this helps! Please contact me with any questions or concerns.