Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hpc 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ultimately the Tesla HPWC (which I'll modify with an appropriate plug if it's only sold in hardwire form) will then plug into a receptacle integrated into the PVC post. This will make everything easy to disassemble when the car is not being charged. It will also make it all easily portable.

I start working on this soon and will post some photos when it's fully assembled.

Remember that the HPWC comes with a 25 foot cord. Pretty long. Maybe you dont have to go all the way to the street with it, or maybe they would make one with a longer cord appropriate for your use?

I'll just cut the cord down to size for my application and install the plug on the cut end. I can't leave it curbside all the time so it has to be unplug-able and portable

Remember that the HPWC comes with a 25 foot cord. Pretty long. Maybe you dont have to go all the way to the street with it, or maybe they would make one with a longer cord appropriate for your use?

Is anyone aware of a solution to make a single HPC work with both the Roadster and Model S? Alternatively, is it safe and/or possible to connect both the Roadster HPC and Model S HPWC to a single 100-amp circuit, given that I will use only one at a time (or if both at once, limit the total draw to 80 amps)? I ask because I have a Roadster which I plan to keep, an original installed HPC on a 100-amp breaker, and a Model S on the way.

Is anyone aware of a solution to make a single HPC work with both the Roadster and Model S? Alternatively, is it safe and/or possible to connect both the Roadster HPC and Model S HPWC to a single 100-amp circuit, given that I will use only one at a time (or if both at once, limit the total draw to 80 amps)? I ask because I have a Roadster which I plan to keep, an original installed HPC on a 100-amp breaker, and a Model S on the way.

There's nothing wrong with your plan to put both on the same circuit as long as you are careful to limit total amps to 80. Tesla has suggested that they may come out with a solution for Roadster owners that want to charge their Roadster off of the HPC2 (after they overcome some "technical difficulties") but it wouldn't allow you to charge both cars at once. I build my own chargers and include an easy two-button interface to change the amps up and down so I don't have to climb in and out of the car to do it. Now I will add the ability for each charger to talk to the other so if I raise the amps on charger 1 to 64A for example, it will automatically limit amps on charger 2 to 16. Let me know if you want to see a picture of this.

Last edited:
Delivery Update

Heard today that the HPWC is currently awaiting UL approval. That is expected sometime soon and then production can start, followed by shipping of course. Tesla provided this helpful document for installing a temporary outlet.

View attachment 9600

This is interesting. Is there a reason to install a 6-50 outlet as opposed to the 14-50 that keeps getting recommended around here? Does it have to do with the upgrade path to the HPC?

This is interesting. Is there a reason to install a 6-50 outlet as opposed to the 14-50 that keeps getting recommended around here? Does it have to do with the upgrade path to the HPC?

I think that it has to do with the number of wires run to the HPWC. The HPWC and the 6-50 only use the 240V wires and ground for a total of 3 wires. The 14-50 has a fourth neutral wire, so that you can connect 120V devices as well. You either need to run a fourth wire (neutral) for the 14-50 or use a 6-50. Not connecting the neutral on the 14-50 could cause confusion or possibly danger later. A solution that will work, is not code compliant, and I am not recommending, is to connect ground to neutral at the 14-50. In new installations, neutral and ground are only connected at the service entrance panel.

The 14-50 is the more common connector and is the 50A standard in RV parks and marinas. The most common applications for the 6-50 are large room air conditioners and arc welders. NEMA connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think that it has to do with the number of wires run to the HPWC. The HPWC and the 6-50 only use the 240V wires and ground for a total of 3 wires. The 14-50 has a fourth neutral wire, so that you can connect 120V devices as well. You either need to run a fourth wire (neutral) for the 14-50 or use a 6-50. Not connecting the neutral on the 14-50 could cause confusion or possibly danger later. A solution that will work, is not code compliant, and I am not recommending, is to connect ground to neutral at the 14-50. In new installations, neutral and ground are only connected at the service entrance panel.

The 14-50 is the more common connector and is the 50A standard in RV parks and marinas. The most common applications for the 6-50 are large room air conditioners and arc welders. NEMA connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks, Cottonwood. This makes sense. Just so I understand, if I go with their recommendation the "free" extra connector I get will be different, and cause me some potential issues at public charging stations? I think that's what your saying, although you don't explicitly mention the choice of free connectors.

Thanks, Cottonwood. This makes sense. Just so I understand, if I go with their recommendation the "free" extra connector I get will be different, and cause me some potential issues at public charging stations? I think that's what your saying, although you don't explicitly mention the choice of free connectors.

The most-common, public, 240V outlets are J1772 (comes with the car) and the 14-50. To be most flexible in travel charging, I would carry the 5-15 (most-common, 120V-15A, 3-prong plug), the 14-50 (common, 240V-50A, RV-park, etc, 4-prong, plug), and J1772 adapter (new public EV charging stations).

The 6-50 is what makes sense with the minimum wiring needed for the HPWC. Because Tesla is late with the HPWC, I would ask for a complementary 6-50 for use in your house from Tesla, in addition to the 14-50 that you would want for travel. After all, because of late delivery of the HPWC, you are already incurring the extra expense of putting in the 6-50 as a temporary measure. Tesla should ante up one extra adapter.