Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hpc 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Is it correct that this new High Power Connector will only outperform a NEMA 14-50 outlet in reduced charging time if the Model S owner elects to upgrade to a 20 kW onboard charger?

Thanks.

Larry

I would say that is correct.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the response.

I gather that with a 20kW onboard charger the HPC 2.0 would charge twice as fast as a UMC 2.0 connected to a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Do we have a feel for how much we would lose in expected battery life if we charged every night with the HPC 2.0 versus the NEMA 14-50 outlet? I know that the frequent use of very fast DC charging is supposed to result in some lost battery life. Would moderately fast charging using the HPC every night have a similiar cummulative effect over the life of the battery?

Thanks.

Larry

Larry,

a 20kW power input for charging the 85kW pack results in a charge time of 4-5 hours. Many Roadsters are charged at that rate. Reports of high mileage roadsters report degradation slightly better than predicted by Tesla. I think that frequent charging in range mode (plus using it all) is potentially more abusive to the pack. Now for the 160 mile pack, charging it with 20kW might be considerable stress.

Larry,

a 20kW power input for charging the 85kW pack results in a charge time of 4-5 hours. Many Roadsters are charged at that rate. Reports of high mileage roadsters report degradation slightly better than predicted by Tesla. I think that frequent charging in range mode (plus using it all) is potentially more abusive to the pack. Now for the 160 mile pack, charging it with 20kW might be considerable stress.

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

It's good to know that the high mileage roadster's batteries are holding up as predicted. However, I'm just wondering whether charging an 85kW package at a rate of 8-10 hours most of the time might result in an improvement over expected battery life.

My point is that for many of us that do not require 4-5 hour charging at home, we can not only avoid the expense of installing the HPC, but perhaps we can also obtain an additional benefit in increasing expected battery life.

Larry

NYT Wheels blog: "Bucking Trends, Tesla Goes It Alone on Plug Design" Oct 26, 2011

Bucking Trends, Tesla Goes It Alone on Plug Design

The model shown here, a shiny red unit (other colors will be available to match the cars, Mr. Musk said) connects to a wall-mounted unit that can supply 240 volts to the car at up to 80 amps, a strong output but also a big draw for an average home. The plug uses a relatively thin cable that the company says can handle fast charging at 480 volts.

The company has also designed its own D.C. fast-charge unit, capable of delivering 480 volts, which would be called the Supercharger. Mr. Musk said that the first Supercharger would be installed along Interstate 5 at the Harris Ranch in Coalinga, Calif., roughly halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco, within the next three or four months.

Tesla claims that the Supercharger would take any Model S from a 10 percent to a 90 percent charge in 45 minutes, but Mr. Straubel said in an e-mail that the company would prefer to focus on “recovering more than a 50 percent state of charge in 30 minutes of charging, or 150 miles of driving range in 30 minutes with the 300-mile-range vehicle.”

wheels-muskcharge-articleInline.jpg

Volume is low, but it sounds like he says the 90kw charger can get you 100 miles in 22 minutes (so an hour and 6 minutes from empty to 100% full in 300 mile pack).

Sounds like this is both the home and mobile versions they plan to roll out?

Honestly at First when I saw that Tesla designed it's own charging solution again, I thought it was going to really hurt the Model S. Now I see that it might actually help. at 90Kw charging with about 100 miles per 20 minutes the HPCs can be spread out a little further and fewer in number at each location compared to the "standard" quick charging that the LEAF supports.

Volume is low, but it sounds like he says the 90kw charger can get you 100 miles in 22 minutes (so an hour and 6 minutes from empty to 100% full in 300 mile pack).

Sounds like this is both the home and mobile versions they plan to roll out?

Hi,

Perhaps I'm a bit confused, but isn't that device the new High Power Connector, that can deliver up to 20 kW? He explicitely corrects the reporter saying its a connector and the chargers are on the car. The 90 kW capacity that he is referring to is for just the combination plug which will be also on Superchargers. So the HPC is for home applications and the 90 kW Superchargers, that he is going to start installing in January or February at roadside restaurants, have yet to be revealed.

Larry

Last edited:
So the HPC is for home applications and the 90 kW Superchargers, that he is going to start installing in January or February at roadside restaurants, have yet to be revealed.

Yes, while he seems to describe both as having the style of "alien artifacts". I'd guess it isn't as easy to style the larger Superchargers containing 9 * 10 kW chargers, but it seems they found a great design for them as well.