Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many miles do you travel in a day?

Battery and Average Daily Distance

• 40 kWh: 0-50 miles / day

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • 40 kWh: 51-100 miles / day

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • 40 kWh: 100+ miles / day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60 kWh: 0-50 miles / day

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • 60 kWh: 51-100 miles / day

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • 60 kWh: 100+ miles / day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 85 kWh: 0-50 miles / day

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • 85 kWh: 50-100 miles / day

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • 85 kWh: 100-150 miles / day

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • 85 kWh: 150+ miles / day

Votes: 4 4.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am starting to see the real point.

40kWh = Electric Car
85kWh = Car*

* Which happens to be also an electric car

truth.jpg

I agree with Doug_G. Perhaps we need a range. I average ~15,000 miles per year in my Prius and that usually includes at least a couple of 400+ mile round trips. And during the Spring-Fall I will have at least one 140 mile round trip weekly and that often comes after my round trip to work (~30 miles). My family lives 120 miles away, and any trips to St.Louis or Kansas City for sports, concerts, shopping, major flights, etc which occur around once a month are a solid 300-400 mile round trip.

If we only look at my daily commute I could probably find a GEM or Zap Xebra to meet my basic transport needs, but I want a full service vehicle that will allow me a far greater than my "average" driving range when I need/want to.

I want the performance model so it's a moot point. I would get the big pack anyway though. While my daily commute is short, I make trips at least once a month to see clients or go to a hearing in a place where the round trip would be too much for the 60. I have an ICE but would like to be able to drive it as little as possible.

We like to go to the coast or up to Portland for little weekend trips and the 85 means that we will not have to worry about finding a charger the second we get there. It's not enough to get there, we'll want to drive around once there.

It's like the man said, the 40 is an electric commuter and the 85 is the only car you need.

My round trip commute is 66 miles. In my hybrid, that is almost 2 gallons of gas (damn service pack reduced my mpg).
What I really need is for the car to get me to SFO and back, which is almost 120 mile round trip.
Honestly, everywhere I want to go regularly is possible in the 160 mile pack, but I am going 85kWh, because I WILL want to take this to Lake Tahoe without worrying.

I take the bicycle to work every day :) My work is just 2km from my home. There are weeks when I don't use my car at all, but my girlfriend uses it to go to her work every day (40km ~ 25miles round-trip).

But when I do take the car I'll travel at least 300km in a day, for when I go to Amsterdam (~400km round-trip) for work or to my family (also ~400km round-trip).

That's why I'll take the 85kWh pack, I want to be able to do the long trips. Since I don't use my car that often it could be that >80% of my trips are long ones.

Maybe I should just move to the east side of Atlanta and cut my distance by 20 or so miles so I could make both on a single 85kWh pack. No AC to SC while doing 80mph to Charlotte.

I hate to burst your bubble ElSupreme, but you can't take even the 85 kWh Model S to Charlotte at 80 mph. At 80 mph your range will drop below 200 miles. I fully expect that Tesla will put a SuperCharger in Greenville, but it will probably be in 2015 or later.

See here for more details --> Highway Range Ignorance