Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Model S 70D battery questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my 2015 Model S 70D has 81,000 miles right now. few questions..

1. i just started using the energy function on the vehicle. i have it set to 30 miles, average range. my car has 55 miles of range and that energy profile says projected 52 mi range. does this mean its predicting i will actually be able to drive 52 miles even though i have 55 miles of range left? how accurate is this?

2. i do have free supercharging for life and ive been reading that supercharging is bad for the battery and that i should limit this. at home, i only have a regular 110v outlet. i would say i supercharge 95% of the time and 5% of the time on my 110v. i believe my range when i got the car was supposed to be 240 miles but i never really got this #. at most was around 232-235 i recall. now after 8 years im sitting at max of around 210. that is a loss of 10%. is this normal? is supercharging causing my battery to degrade faster?
20231105_113457.jpg
20231105_113501.jpg

1) Energy Profile projected is more accurate as to the mileage you will get.

2) the cars usually lose up to 5% range degredation after the first year, then the loss over time is generally less. 10% loss at 8 years sounds good to me. If the supercharger works for you, use it. The car, through Tesla's updates, will protect itself by slowing the charge speed to protect the battery.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
i do feel 10% is pretty good after 8 years.

however, i dont feel i get that energy profile results. sometimes im getting 50-75% efficiency (i.e., start with range of 150 miles, and i end up only with 75miles). of couse some of that is due to driving up and down hills. im not getting anywhere near 90%-95% efficiency as that energy profile suggests.

I don't know if your year/model supports it, but go to Service, Vehicle Range in the App, and run a test on your vehicle's results (background time, about 20 minutes). This should give you more information about your car and the EPA verses actual range.

i do feel 10% is pretty good after 8 years.

however, i dont feel i get that energy profile results. sometimes im getting 50-75% efficiency (i.e., start with range of 150 miles, and i end up only with 75miles). of couse some of that is due to driving up and down hills. im not getting anywhere near 90%-95% efficiency as that energy profile suggests.
Theoretically, supercharging can cause shortened lifetime of the battery, but it doesn't necessarily translate to faster degradation of rated range miles.
My 2015 70D is the same year as yours and I don't use supercharging at all, and do all my charging at home. I have just under 200 miles of rated range left, or about 18% degradation. But I do have 160k miles on the battery.

What is your lifetime Wh/mile? I'm at about 292 Wh/mile, mostly local driving that includes some hills.

Theoretically, supercharging can cause shortened lifetime of the battery, but it doesn't necessarily translate to faster degradation of rated range miles.
My 2015 70D is the same year as yours and I don't use supercharging at all, and do all my charging at home. I have just under 200 miles of rated range left, or about 18% degradation. But I do have 160k miles on the battery.

What is your lifetime Wh/mile? I'm at about 292 Wh/mile, mostly local driving that includes some hills.
Original battery? Any reason for not using supercharging now?

Original battery? Any reason for not using supercharging now?
Yes, original battery and owner. I don't use supercharging because I mostly drive locally, and can just charge at home overnight. It's very convenient for me.
When I do drive on the freeway I can usually get my rated range but that is at about 265 Wh/m.
I never got the full 240 miles rated range either when my car was new. Now that my battery is no longer under warranty, I am curious if my battery will hold up much longer. If it does die, I know it won't be because of supercharging.

Reactions: tesluv108
If you are saying when you charge the car to 100% charge, it is displaying 356 miles of range, that is on the high side for battery degradation. That said, unless some other problem with the battery surfaces, Tesla only warrants the battery after 30% degradation during the 8 year warranty period.