Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long do you plan on keeping the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
~8 years was my plan with hopes the model 3 would be out by then (provided I like the aesthetics) and I'd get a fully loaded one.

I'm used to smaller cars, but I'm getting used to the S, so who knows maybe I'll just keep it or upgrade to a new S around then.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I haven't bought my Tesla yet, but my plan is to keep it as long as it's feasible. The ICE I'm driving now I bought new in 1992, but the tech in Model S has changed a lot since it was introduced. I think the tech is beginning to stabilize now, though there will probably be a number of battery improvements over the next few years. If a battery upgrade of significance is offered, I might just upgrade my old battery and keep going. If the upgrade is not offered, or the price is not very reasonable, I may sell my car and upgrade. But it would have to be something in the range of a 50+% capacity increase. I don't think I would plunk down money for a small increase like they did with the 85KWh->90KWh increase.

We plan on keeping ours for as long as possible, hopefully 20+ years with repairs and battery upgrades along the way. Due to the upcoming tax on ev's in Denmark we won't be able to buy a new Tesla again for a long time.

The only thing that might change that is a Model 3 at a price where we can replace our S in the current tax climate. But that is just pure speculation at this point.

Plan to keep it for as long as possible. For me its a financial decision meaning i would get the latest and greatest if i have the money.

I will definitely get Model 3. Looking at my current situation. Plan to get Model 3 in 2020, maybe used full loaded, that would replace my current ICE (Hyundai Elantra 2007). Keep the Model S as long as possible.

Like others, I'm planning on keeping mine for 6-8 years. My financial "break even" compared to my previous car was about year 7, depending on gas prices. I'm putting lots of upgrades into this 85D, plan on upgrading the battery in a few years (if the price is reasonable).

However, if they come out with something just irresistible in 3-4 years...who knows?

I think I'll upgrade with each new major release of Autopilot, probably every 3 years or so. And I'll probably lease from now on because purchasing hits you big on sales tax.

Dave, Curious why you are that particularly interested in Autopilot.
Is it to stay on top of technology in an investor perspective? or
Is it because you think you will need it as a user? or
Is it because you think it increases safety?
or something else?

Buying a CPO was already a stretch purchase for me. I'm an electric car enthusiast, and pulled the trigger when my LEAF lease was up. I tell people that I'll hold onto mine for as long as I can. If I can get it to go 20+ years, I think I'll be really happy.

I am 99% sure that I'll get more than LEAF-like range for 25 years on the existing 60-kWh battery. :)