Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2 press release info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know few companies can execute like Apple, but it would have been nice if he ended with "and you can download and install 6.2 today".

So true.

Steve Jobs spoiled me with his "...and one more thing" behavior. I too often hope for "one more thing" after similar unveilings. Today's amazing "one more thing" could have been "and we've partnered with [some nationwide entity] to deploy HPWC's at every one of their locations within the next 30 days."

I know few companies can execute like Apple, but it would have been nice if he ended with "and you can download and install 6.2 today".

Elon said it was going to be released in 10 days. My question: Why didn't Elon wait 10 days to make this announcement? Then it could have been sent to the entire fleet same day and it would have been a BAM moment. Just 10 days! Obviously it's going to take more than 10 days, which is why he pre-announced today. He is such a BS'er! :)

Elon said it was going to be released in 10 days. My question: Why didn't Elon wait 10 days to make this announcement? Then it could have been sent to the entire fleet today and it would have been a BAM moment. Just 10 days! Obviously it's going to take more than 10 days, which is why he did it today. He is such a BS'er!

You guys need to chill with the date deadlines. He did not say absolutely for sure in 10 days:
System 6.2 now in beta: customers already testing it as beta testers (early access) and will be released assuming everything goes okay then wide release in 10 days.

Well for one.. The phone interface has a placeholder for a photo, but the photos dont show (which my GM truck does).

I remember the early alpha or beta cars showing the phone interface with Elon's picture there. Also, where's the iPod integration? It's so frustrating to get into a cheap rental car and have the interface to my phone's music work so much better than it does on my Model S.

My point is that he should have waited to make the announcement until the software was ready to be deployed. There was not need to make this announcement today. He doesn't seem able to control himself.
If you consider the negative news flow, all the attention Apple has received & the poorly performing stock then timing can be questioned, I still want to listen to call & get a better feel on how he responded to China questions etc..I am surprised he didn't throw in a couple positive comments outside of engineering.

I find it interesting they didn't have more battery in the screen shots... you'd think a company would have photo-shopped them to a full battery at the time... similar to how clocks are usually 10:10.

But hey, good update! I can finally use the car vs. evtrip planner while I'm IN the car.

OOPS. Now the kid who developed evtripplanner won't be able to go to Stanford like he wanted.

Has anyone picked up on the "X min charging required" at a supercharger? How do they know that for a fact? Since it's DC charging, the car doesn't choose the current at which to charge. That's why DC charging in the existing interface (and mobile app) doesn't show an ETA, unlike AC charging.

The other problem is that if the supercharger stall to which you plug into is the secondary stall and the primary one is already taken by another actively-charging Model S, you won't get nearly as fast charging due to significantly (2-3x) lower current.

Lastly, I'm assuming there won't be an indication of how many stalls are being occupied at the next supercharger on your trip. This could be helpful in deciding whether to stop at that location or go on to the next supercharger (assuming you can make it there on the current charge level).

Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 1.32.35 PM.png

Regarding the stalls question - Musk did say the the Trip Planner logic will utilize realtime instanaeous supercharger usage as well as fleet information (meaning your car will know if there are any other cars that are navigating to the same supercharger and whether or not they will beat you there) to determine what the next best location to stop for charging is.

Has anyone picked up on the "X min charging required" at a supercharger? How do they know that for a fact? Since it's DC charging, the car doesn't choose the current at which to charge. That's why DC charging in the existing interface (and mobile app) doesn't show an ETA, unlike AC charging.

The other problem is that if the supercharger stall to which you plug into is the secondary stall and the primary one is already taken by another actively-charging Model S, you won't get nearly as fast charging due to significantly (2-3x) lower current.

Lastly, I'm assuming there won't be an indication of how many stalls are being occupied at the next supercharger on your trip. This could be helpful in deciding whether to stop at that location or go on to the next supercharger (assuming you can make it there on the current charge level).

View attachment 75305

I'm pretty sure the car is still in charge of setting how much power it gets - or at least the upper limit for how much it gets.

Your point about shared stalls is well taken - this might be the best case assumption, or based on 60 kW limits for all cars (so you always have a predictable time,) or it might be more subtle, and be estimating based on the predicted utilization rate of the SC site when you would get there.

As I touched on above, one of the reasons an update like this was necessary and beneficial to Tesla is better utilization once they have a lot of overlap in the SC network. I don't know if it is in place yet, but I have no doubt that Tesla will eventually be integrating these Nav waypoint plans into a big picture for anticipated utilization, and then making decisions about the recommended route based on that prediction - skipping cars over stations that they expect to be overloaded to ones with fewer cars scheduled, and possibly shifting your SoC over the course of a few stops to separate you from other cars going the same route.

There wouldn't necessarily be any indication they were doing it, either. The only way I've come up with to know is to force an overload and see what happens (at some sort of event where there are a dozen or so Model Ss at the same place, enter the same destination a couple thousand miles away sequentially into multiple cars, and see if they all hand back the same plan, or if the first couple hand back one plan, and then it starts changing slightly, skipping a different set of SCs.)
Walter

Last edited:
I find it interesting they didn't have more battery in the screen shots... you'd think a company would have photo-shopped them to a full battery at the time... similar to how clocks are usually 10:10.

But hey, good update! I can finally use the car vs. evtrip planner while I'm IN the car.
I believe they are showing the battery less full because they want to display low charging times. The bottom 1/3 of the battery charges faster than the top 1/3. I assume they are making the optimistic assumption that you will be able to be the primary (first) car charging at each SC. On my trip last Fall between CA and CO this assumption was valid, but on other routes in urban areas this would not always be true.

Last edited:
Your point about shared stalls is well taken - this might be the best case assumption, or based on 60 kW limits for all cars (so you always have a predictable time,) or it might be more subtle, and be estimating based on the predicted utilization rate of the SC site when you would get there.

Having just done the SF-Indian Wells route this past weekend through Harris Ranch and Tejon Ranch superchargers (see this post), I can confirm that the charging at Harris Ranch needs at least 1/2 hour at full power (not just 60 kW) to make it safely. Which reminds me: power drops as the battery gets full, starting around 40%. So these estimates may assume that the battery is always close to empty when starting to charge, and you are the first to plug into a shared DC cabinet. Optimistic, as usual...

As I touched on above, one of the reasons an update like this was necessary and beneficial to Tesla is better utilization once they have a lot of overlap in the SC network. I don't know if it is in place yet, but I have no doubt that Tesla will eventually be integrating these Nav waypoint plans into a big picture for anticipated utilization, and then making decisions about the recommended route based on that prediction - skipping cars over stations that they expect to be overloaded to ones with fewer cars scheduled, and possibly shifting your SoC over the course of a few stops to separate you from other cars going the same route.

That would be a welcomed addition, but I'm not holding my breath... we could be years away from such an implementation. Let's see how the network grows and how the software logic will adapt accordingly.