Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wonky redundant supercharger stops

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing this, and if anyone knows when it was introduced? Of course if I might have done something to cause this, or if there's a setting that could influence it, I'd love to know that too:

Navigating home from about 60 miles away, I added a stop to an in-progress route. Originally the planner estimated I'd get home with something like 10% SOC, with no supercharger stops. At some point after adding the intermediate stop (which added < 2mi to the total trip), the planner suddenly added two five-minute supercharger stops on either side of the intermediate destination. What's more, it has me getting home with 34% SOC:

IMG_1596.JPG

Why would it make me do two such short charge stops? And why would it aim to get me home with such a high SOC? Are there new settings for this that I missed?

I've never before seen it care what my destination SOC was, as long as it was positive (well, >6% or so I think was its previous tolerance). And regardless of its requirements for destination SOC, clearly I could accomplish the same end result by doing a single ~12 min stop. Doesn't it know that the extra stop is costing me more time than the ~2 mins I might save from faster charging at a lower SOC.

Deets:
2020 MYP Stealth, 45k mi
245/50 R18 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5's (est. ~8% efficiency loss)
roof rack installed, nothing on it
speed during trip <= 75mph

Tesla computer recomends what it feels is the best charging strategy. You, as the Human are always free to make your own calculations and decisions.

In OP's case, the computer is becoming aware of his roof rack, low efficiency tires and average speeds. Will do on the fly recalculations as it realizes OP's car has a unique profile.

Tesla computer recomends what it feels is the best charging strategy. You, as the Human are always free to make your own calculations and decisions.

In OP's case, the computer is becoming aware of his roof rack, low efficiency tires and average speeds. Will do on the fly recalculations as it realizes OP's car has a unique profile.
Paul, you may have missed a key detail here: This is a new behavior as of one of the last few software updates.

I can't quite tell from your post if you are trying to be constructive, or if you're a fanboy that is always going to say Tesla is perfect no matter what the details are. I maintain that there is no valid reason to tell the driver to make two charging stops within 40 miles of each other that are 5 minutes each, when you are also on track to get to your destination with >30% battery. IMHO, the only reasonable interpretation of this change in behavior is that it is a bug.

I regularly select the option for "remove charging stops" and make it to my destination with less than 5% without issue. The car seems to want more than 10% on destination randomly.
I do this as well. I've seen it do both - advise me to get to my destination with 4% or less SOC, and add an unnecessary supercharger stop and put me at my destination with a little over 10%. This is just the first time I've seen it advise two supercharger stops when none were needed, and then put me at my destination with 40% battery. If this were the new normal, then the built-in trip-planner would be useless.

I do this as well. I've seen it do both - advise me to get to my destination with 4% or less SOC, and add an unnecessary supercharger stop and put me at my destination with a little over 10%. This is just the first time I've seen it advise two supercharger stops when none were needed, and then put me at my destination with 40% battery. If this were the new normal, then the built-in trip-planner would be useless.
Trying to teach my 70 year old father how to drive his new Model 3 on a road trip is going to be a real chore with how the Trip Planner has been lately. I hope they fix these weird bugs very soon.

Paul, you may have missed a key detail here: This is a new behavior as of one of the last few software updates.

I can't quite tell from your post if you are trying to be constructive, or if you're a fanboy that is always going to say Tesla is perfect no matter what the details are. I maintain that there is no valid reason to tell the driver to make two charging stops within 40 miles of each other that are 5 minutes each, when you are also on track to get to your destination with >30% battery. IMHO, the only reasonable interpretation of this change in behavior is that it is a bug.
OK. You have a bug. My point is that once you are aware you have a bug, you can easily override the suggestions of the computer and stop where every you choose.

I see really bad SC suggestions. On planned trip that I probably can do stopless (depends on weather) that passes four SC, it wants me to stop at the first one (with batt at 60%+) instead of waiting to see if charging is even necessary, then zip into SC#4. This type of poor planning is common now.

On longer out of state trips the computer now regularly wants to recharge way too early, usually above 50%, despite many chargers farther along.

I'm in Maine, and there is never congestion at any of these SC. In 90k miles, 25 states, and five provinces, I never have had to wait for a SC. (Non-Tesla chargers, yes, but never Tesla)

Reactions: Park2670