Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another 2023 Model Y road-trip experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just finished my first road trip and I know there are a bunch of these types of threads, but I seem to learn something new from each one, so I'll share my experiences, both good and bad.

Charging

I picked up my 2023 MYLR in October and this was my first long drive with supercharging involved. The day before leaving I stopped by a local supercharger just to make sure everything worked, and my billing was set up correctly. I didn't want to find out a couple hundred miles from home there was some issue!

The drive was from just north of Atlanta, GA to Cincinnati, OH. Total distance of 450miles with an estimated time (without stops or traffic) of 7hr 24min.
  • Left my house with 98% SOC - I normally charge to 80% daily but prior to leaving I bumped up the limit to 100% and let it ride until I headed out.

• Arrived at the first supercharger in Knoxville with 31% SOC after driving 171 miles.
    • Since it was Black Friday and the location is in a shopping center, it took me about 15 minutes after exiting the highway to fight through traffic to get to the supercharger.
    • The supercharger only had 1 spot left and was a 150kW model, so I had the unfortunate issue of splitting power with the car next to me. At one point the car next to me left and I watched my charge rate nearly double, but within about 2 minutes another tesla pulled in next to me and I watched the rate chop in half again.
    • The navigation said it would take 20min to charge, but it took an hour to charge from 31% to 89%. However, the car did tell me that I had enough to continue my journey at about 84%, but my range anxiety got the better of me and I let it ride up to almost 90. All-in I was off the highway for about 90 minutes.
  • Arrived at the second supercharge in Richmond, KY Buc-ee's with 27% SOC after 155 miles
    • This went much better as there were 12 stations but only 1 other Tesla. My charge rate peaked at 246kW which I was very pleased with!
    • I explored the crazy Buc-ee's and left with 90% SOC after 37 minutes of charging. Once again, the navigation told me I could leave in the mid-80s but I let it ride for a few more minutes for a reason I'll mention next.
  • Arrived at my destination in Cincinnati with 38% SOC after 133 miles.
    • I had intended to charge at my destination, but I FORGOT MY MOBILE CONNECTOR! Fortunately, there is a supercharger a few exits away from where I was staying so I stopped there and charged to 85% on Saturday for some local driving.
  • Total Door-to-Door Time: 9hr 20min

• Departed from Cincinnati Sunday morning with 70% SOC. I was much more comfortable with the range calculations after the drive up, so I decided to trust the navigation!
  • Arrived at Buc-ee's with 10% SOC.
    • Again, I was one of only 2 cars there, so I was able to charge from 10% to 75% in 28 minutes and left pretty much right when the nav said I had enough charge to continue the journey.
  • Arrived in Knoxville with 16% SOC (different location than the drive up)
    • I was nervous because this location was completely full, however the Nav said the wait was less than 5 minutes which turned out to be about 2 minutes since someone pulled away.
    • I charged 80% SOC (about 5% more than "required") in 29 minutes as I grabbed some lunch at a nearby restaurant. Maybe the lower initial SOC or a better charging infrastructure allowed me to pull almost the max charge rate even with every available charger in-use.
    • The location had cleared out by then so I was not keeping anyone waiting while I put in that extra 5%!
    • Traffic was pretty bad in Knoxville getting back on the highway due to Thanksgiving traffic, so I lost some time there navigating back to the interstate from the supercharger location.
  • Arrived home with 16% SOC after the final 180ish mile push.
  • Total Door-to-Door Time: 8hr 57min
Final Stats:
Miles Driven (including some local driving): 960mi
Total kWh Consumed: 303kWh
Average wH/Mile: 315.625
Total Supercharger Cost: $88.87 + about $8.50 in home charging costs

With my Model Y's 75kWh battery. I guess with that driving pattern the total range on a full charge would be about 238 miles. It seems low for a "rated" 330, but guaranteed the EPA testing isn't riding along at nearly 80mph at 50ish degrees ambient. I'm OK with it for what it is.

My thoughts on the Tesla for a road trip vehicle are that if you’re traveling with someone else or family and you’re planning to stop for meals or other activities while charging, the Tesla is an incredible tool for the job. However, if in my case you’re flying solo and just want to get A-to-B as fast as possible I know I could have shaved at least an hour, maybe 90 minutes off the drive by taking an ICE vehicle and stopping once in a less populated area for less than 15 minutes to grab gas and a drive-thru and keep on motoring.

My Tesla replaces an older truck that averaged 17mpg, so as far as savings the total energy cost was $97.37. Fuel @ about $2.75/ga which was the average rate on the drive would have been $155.30, so about a 40% savings in cost for me personally. But do your own math if you have a more efficient vehicle. According to my calculation for this trip, in a car that does better 27.5mpg driving an ICE vehicle would have been cheaper.

Left_view_of_Tesla_Model_Y_in_Courbevoie_-_2021-09-20.jpg

"Left view of Tesla Model Y in Courbevoie - 2021-09-20" by Bretwa is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited by a moderator:
Autopilot
To expand on the above, wanted to share my FSDb/Autopilot experience as well.

I currently have 3 months FSD as part of the purchase with a referral code, although I don’t intend at all to purchase or subscribe unless some cool new feature is released. On city streets, I find I’m more nervous with it on than if I was just driving. However, on the highway it’s incredible and I have had almost no problems with a few exceptions, some of which were just minor annoyances, and others were absolutely maddening. At one point during the drive, I turned off FSDb and just went on regular Autopilot to get more of an experience of what the capabilities are after my trial expires. I have not found a way to disable some of the EAP features like Auto Lane Change, so I’m not able to experience what Basic Autopilot lane-changes feel like until the trial ends.

AP 85mph speed limit gripe
My biggest gripe on the whole drive was the behavior when you cross the 85mph speed limit for AP. I had several phantom “slowing” events on the drive, but only one phantom “brake”. No accidents or anything but did cause some headaches.
  1. Left lane, Autopilot (not FSDb at this point) just cruising at 78mph
  2. Passing a truck in the center lane and AP brakes aggressively with a truck behind me. Probably dropped to 68mph before I caught it.
  3. I slammed on the GO pedal to accelerate to not be rear-ended without disabling anything
  4. EVs are fast and I quickly jumped above 85mph for a brief moment
  5. At this point AP dis-engaged with a lot of beeps and warnings and then said “AP not available for the remainder of this drive”! :mad:
  6. The problem was that “this drive” was at least another 90 minutes, and it would have sucked to not have AP for the rest of that segment. So I had to pull off the highway, put the car in Park, then go back to drive and resume the trip. That really made me frustrated and while I guess I now know the behavior; it really doesn’t make sense for this scenario to completely lock it out. Can this not be a 3 strikes thing of exceeding that limit and then killing access for the next drive?
Lane-keeping behavior
Both Autopilot and FSDb on the highway worked incredibly well. I must give the slight edge to FSDb because it seems to be more aware of position in the lane and would drift to the opposite edge when passing large trucks. Basic Autopilot seemed glued to the center of the lane which feels uncomfortable when passing around faster bends on the highway where a human driver would likely cheat more to the far left or right part of the lane for more space. Personally, I think AP should be able to recognize if you’re in the far-left or far-right lane and align closer to the outside line for as much clearance as possible to other cars in the center lane.

The highways in the US are FAR from perfect, with rough patches especially in the tire grooves. I’m able to spot these and adjust so that my tires run outside of these grooves, even if it’s touching one of the lines. Both FSDb and Autopilot don’t seem to do anything and just maintain position, resulting in a bumpy ride that in many cases I would be able to easily avoid. I’m not sure how to handle this in software, but maybe v12 training would have some data on these situations and allow for flexibility even it if does briefly break the rule of touching lane lines. Definitely a very hard problem to solve.

Wheel Nags
THE WHEEL NAGS!! Oh my goodness this drove me nuts. Maybe it’s me but I could never find a way that was consistent to avoid these. I will say the camera-based detection seemed to work and it appropriately nagged me if I looked at my phone or away from the road. But I was mostly looking straight ahead WITH my hand on the wheel and it would just keep bugging me. Then in several cases when I did apply force it’s like it didn’t register it, so I would give it just a bit more and it would dis-engage. I think this safety requirement is necessary and I’m torn on completely getting rid of it, but there’s got to be some middle ground on this. I wonder if it’s related to speed as most of this trip I was at nearly 80mph. I seem to get less nags on highway commutes where I’m in the 65-70mph range.

Auto Lane-Change
Auto-lane Change – I am going to miss the heck out of this when my trial expires. I used it for almost every lane change while on the highway. I wish the true auto lane change (i.e. the car decides on its own when to change lanes) was part of EAP, but the ability to auto-change via a manual blinker press was part of Basic AP. I cannot justify the cost of EAP when on my HW4 model most of the features don’t work yet. PLEASE just give me or let me buy the lane-change feature. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!

Overall, Autopilot/FSD are an amazing driver’s aid and feel like the future coming from a 2011 pickup truck. I never bought into the hype that it can truly drive itself, so I haven’t been disappointed, and it has lived up to my initial expectations.

The car slowing abruptly when passing a truck can be a real pain. It happens (I believe) when there is a significant speed difference between you and the truck you are passing. When I see a trail of chevrons, behind the truck, I know that my car will adjust the speed, so I am prepared to use the throttle before the abrupt slow down is too far along. It is touchy not to go so fast that you end up in auto-drive jail, as happened to you. I can't determine the speed differential that triggers this, but I watch for the chevrons and prepare to use the throttle, reducing the stress. I was recently driving through Utah where there are long stretches with an 80MPR speed limit. With my speed set to 80 it is close to the 85 mph limit and it was easy to trigger the auto-drive jail.

The car slowing abruptly when passing a truck can be a real pain. It happens (I believe) when there is a significant speed difference between you and the truck you are passing. When I see a trail of chevrons, behind the truck, I know that my car will adjust the speed, so I am prepared to use the throttle before the abrupt slow down is too far along. It is touchy not to go so fast that you end up in auto-drive jail, as happened to you. I can't determine the speed differential that triggers this, but I watch for the chevrons and prepare to use the throttle, reducing the stress. I was recently driving through Utah where there are long stretches with an 80MPR speed limit. With my speed set to 80 it is close to the 85 mph limit and it was easy to trigger the auto-drive jail.

Thanks for that info! I have noticed the chevrons before, but I guess never made the connection that it was to indicate a speed adjustment. I'll have to pay closer attention over the next few weeks while I still have my FSD subscription. I don't think there is any indicator on Basic AP with just the blue highlight on the lane lines? My sincere hope is that the software stack merges, and Basic AP just inherits the FSD logic and visualizations but without any navigation, stop sign or traffic light capabilities. But likely wishful thinking on my part there.

Nice write up.
Some thoughts/comments:
- You went up to 90% for your first charging stop, charging slows drastically once SOC goes above 60-70%, might want to consider running 10-60% for road trips in the future as it might save time overall.
- AP disabled for remainder of drive, if you put it into park and get out of the driver's seat, it resets. Not that convenient when you're on a highway, but if you find a rest area or place to pull over you can avoid being locked out for too long.

Nice write up.
Some thoughts/comments:
- You went up to 90% for your first charging stop, charging slows drastically once SOC goes above 60-70%, might want to consider running 10-60% for road trips in the future as it might save time overall.
- AP disabled for remainder of drive, if you put it into park and get out of the driver's seat, it resets. Not that convenient when you're on a highway, but if you find a rest area or place to pull over you can avoid being locked out for too long.
Thanks for the feedback:

- On item #1 you're absolutely correct, the navigation notified me at 84% charge that I could leave and reach the next supercharger stop. There was no reason to top-up that extra 6% (at a slow charge speed) but being my first supercharging experience, I let some range anxiety influence the charging. On the way back I was much more trusting of the estimates and arrived at the superchargers with much lower SOC and was able to take advantage of very fast charge rates.

- Yeah, shortly after that happened, I pulled onto a highway off-ramp, toggled between Park and Drive, then just went right back up the on-ramp to continue the journey. Annoying, but now I know!

Reactions: stripes
Wheel Nags
THE WHEEL NAGS!! Oh my goodness this drove me nuts. Maybe it’s me but I could never find a way that was consistent to avoid these. I will say the camera-based detection seemed to work and it appropriately nagged me if I looked at my phone or away from the road. But I was mostly looking straight ahead WITH my hand on the wheel and it would just keep bugging me. Then in several cases when I did apply force it’s like it didn’t register it, so I would give it just a bit more and it would dis-engage. I think this safety requirement is necessary and I’m torn on completely getting rid of it, but there’s got to be some middle ground on this. I wonder if it’s related to speed as most of this trip I was at nearly 80mph. I seem to get less nags on highway commutes where I’m in the 65-70mph range.
Excellent summary. My experience with FSDb is very similar to yours. One thing that helps me a lot when I get a wheel nag is to scroll one of the scroll buttons on the steering wheel with just one click and that's enough to let the car know you're there. So much easier than trying to determine how much force to apply to the steering wheel to make it register but not disengage.

Good tip to use the scroll wheel to let the car know you are paying attention. I have popped it out ift FSD far too often trying to "slightly move the wheel". Will try this next time. I only have the FSD trial another month and was hoping to get to try the smart summon feature or any summon feature, but that looks unlikely. I did have someone at a party yesterday park extremely close to me who expected I could remotely move my car. Not so. It worked out but awkward.

Autopilot
To expand on the above, wanted to share my FSDb/Autopilot experience as well.

I currently have 3 months FSD as part of the purchase with a referral code, although I don’t intend at all to purchase or subscribe unless some cool new feature is released. On city streets, I find I’m more nervous with it on than if I was just driving. However, on the highway it’s incredible and I have had almost no problems with a few exceptions, some of which were just minor annoyances, and others were absolutely maddening. At one point during the drive, I turned off FSDb and just went on regular Autopilot to get more of an experience of what the capabilities are after my trial expires. I have not found a way to disable some of the EAP features like Auto Lane Change, so I’m not able to experience what Basic Autopilot lane-changes feel like until the trial ends.

AP 85mph speed limit gripe
My biggest gripe on the whole drive was the behavior when you cross the 85mph speed limit for AP. I had several phantom “slowing” events on the drive, but only one phantom “brake”. No accidents or anything but did cause some headaches.
  1. Left lane, Autopilot (not FSDb at this point) just cruising at 78mph
  2. Passing a truck in the center lane and AP brakes aggressively with a truck behind me. Probably dropped to 68mph before I caught it.
  3. I slammed on the GO pedal to accelerate to not be rear-ended without disabling anything
  4. EVs are fast and I quickly jumped above 85mph for a brief moment
  5. At this point AP dis-engaged with a lot of beeps and warnings and then said “AP not available for the remainder of this drive”! :mad:
  6. The problem was that “this drive” was at least another 90 minutes, and it would have sucked to not have AP for the rest of that segment. So I had to pull off the highway, put the car in Park, then go back to drive and resume the trip. That really made me frustrated and while I guess I now know the behavior; it really doesn’t make sense for this scenario to completely lock it out. Can this not be a 3 strikes thing of exceeding that limit and then killing access for the next drive?
Lane-keeping behavior
Both Autopilot and FSDb on the highway worked incredibly well. I must give the slight edge to FSDb because it seems to be more aware of position in the lane and would drift to the opposite edge when passing large trucks. Basic Autopilot seemed glued to the center of the lane which feels uncomfortable when passing around faster bends on the highway where a human driver would likely cheat more to the far left or right part of the lane for more space. Personally, I think AP should be able to recognize if you’re in the far-left or far-right lane and align closer to the outside line for as much clearance as possible to other cars in the center lane.

The highways in the US are FAR from perfect, with rough patches especially in the tire grooves. I’m able to spot these and adjust so that my tires run outside of these grooves, even if it’s touching one of the lines. Both FSDb and Autopilot don’t seem to do anything and just maintain position, resulting in a bumpy ride that in many cases I would be able to easily avoid. I’m not sure how to handle this in software, but maybe v12 training would have some data on these situations and allow for flexibility even it if does briefly break the rule of touching lane lines. Definitely a very hard problem to solve.

Wheel Nags

Auto Lane-Change
Auto-lane Change – I am going to miss the heck out of this when my trial expires. I used it for almost every lane change while on the highway. I wish the true auto lane change (i.e. the car decides on its own when to change lanes) was part of EAP, but the ability to auto-change via a manual blinker press was part of Basic AP. I cannot justify the cost of EAP when on my HW4 model most of the features don’t work yet. PLEASE just give me or let me buy the lane-change feature. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!

Overall, Autopilot/FSD are an amazing driver’s aid and feel like the future coming from a 2011 pickup truck. I never bought into the hype that it can truly drive itself, so I haven’t been disappointed, and it has lived up to my initial expectations.
Regarding the sudden breaking when on AP and passing a truck in the middle lane, this is not limited to Teslas. My Acura MDX with Tech package does the same even after windshield replacement ‘readjustment’. Agree it’s dangerous and scary when it happens. Best to anticipate it by having your foot close to the accelerator.

From the arrival percentages, it seems like you could have saved yourself time by not charging to 98% before you left initially and then not staying so long at the second charger either. Once you're more confident arriving at around 10% you'll see that the car charges faster to get from there to about 60-70% for your next leg of the trip. You'll get it as you become more familiar with your car and more confident. I don't know the area so I don't know what else was available to you but, if it had been me at that first stop, splitting charge with another car, I'd probably have looked for a different supercharger a few miles down the road and just charged enough to get there rather than wait 90 minutes at a slow charger.

I don't know the area so I don't know what else was available to you but, if it had been me at that first stop, splitting charge with another car, I'd probably have looked for a different supercharger a few miles down the road and just charged enough to get there rather than wait 90 minutes at a slow charger.

A little bit more experience/confidence on my part and this definitely would have made a big difference. On my return trip the Nav routed me to a supercharger that was only 10mi away from where I stopped on my way up that was in a much less busy area and is also a V3 250kW model. I would have had plenty of juice left to get there. The navigation route planning absolutely worked, but with a little extra effort I could have made adjustments or a comparison with ABRP to save a bit of time.

One other thing is this trip was still on the factory firmware (2023.32.100.1) and I was hoping to receive version .38 which added the "Predictive Supercharger Availability" feature. No idea what impact (if any) that would have had on the route planning.

I'd suggest choosing your own supercharger stops. If you rely on the car to choose what SCs to use it will have you charge longer at fewer superchargers. You should be able to make the trip faster by making *more* stops but for much shorter times. Ideally you want to pull into a SC at about 10% and only charge long enough to reach the next SC at 10% - provided of course the SCs you choose are ones you can get in and out of quickly and back on your route. Pick V3s (max 250kW) when you can.

Reactions: iamnid
I just finished my first road trip and I know there are a bunch of these types of threads, but I seem to learn something new from each one, so I'll share my experiences, both good and bad.

Charging

I picked up my 2023 MYLR in October and this was my first long drive with supercharging involved. The day before leaving I stopped by a local supercharger just to make sure everything worked, and my billing was set up correctly. I didn't want to find out a couple hundred miles from home there was some issue!

The drive was from just north of Atlanta, GA to Cincinnati, OH. Total distance of 450miles with an estimated time (without stops or traffic) of 7hr 24min.
  • Left my house with 98% SOC - I normally charge to 80% daily but prior to leaving I bumped up the limit to 100% and let it ride until I headed out.

• Arrived at the first supercharger in Knoxville with 31% SOC after driving 171 miles.
    • Since it was Black Friday and the location is in a shopping center, it took me about 15 minutes after exiting the highway to fight through traffic to get to the supercharger.
    • The supercharger only had 1 spot left and was a 150kW model, so I had the unfortunate issue of splitting power with the car next to me. At one point the car next to me left and I watched my charge rate nearly double, but within about 2 minutes another tesla pulled in next to me and I watched the rate chop in half again.
    • The navigation said it would take 20min to charge, but it took an hour to charge from 31% to 89%. However, the car did tell me that I had enough to continue my journey at about 84%, but my range anxiety got the better of me and I let it ride up to almost 90. All-in I was off the highway for about 90 minutes.
  • Arrived at the second supercharge in Richmond, KY Buc-ee's with 27% SOC after 155 miles
    • This went much better as there were 12 stations but only 1 other Tesla. My charge rate peaked at 246kW which I was very pleased with!
    • I explored the crazy Buc-ee's and left with 90% SOC after 37 minutes of charging. Once again, the navigation told me I could leave in the mid-80s but I let it ride for a few more minutes for a reason I'll mention next.
  • Arrived at my destination in Cincinnati with 38% SOC after 133 miles.
    • I had intended to charge at my destination, but I FORGOT MY MOBILE CONNECTOR! Fortunately, there is a supercharger a few exits away from where I was staying so I stopped there and charged to 85% on Saturday for some local driving.
  • Total Door-to-Door Time: 9hr 20min

• Departed from Cincinnati Sunday morning with 70% SOC. I was much more comfortable with the range calculations after the drive up, so I decided to trust the navigation!
  • Arrived at Buc-ee's with 10% SOC.
    • Again, I was one of only 2 cars there, so I was able to charge from 10% to 75% in 28 minutes and left pretty much right when the nav said I had enough charge to continue the journey.
  • Arrived in Knoxville with 16% SOC (different location than the drive up)
    • I was nervous because this location was completely full, however the Nav said the wait was less than 5 minutes which turned out to be about 2 minutes since someone pulled away.
    • I charged 80% SOC (about 5% more than "required") in 29 minutes as I grabbed some lunch at a nearby restaurant. Maybe the lower initial SOC or a better charging infrastructure allowed me to pull almost the max charge rate even with every available charger in-use.
    • The location had cleared out by then so I was not keeping anyone waiting while I put in that extra 5%!
    • Traffic was pretty bad in Knoxville getting back on the highway due to Thanksgiving traffic, so I lost some time there navigating back to the interstate from the supercharger location.
  • Arrived home with 16% SOC after the final 180ish mile push.
  • Total Door-to-Door Time: 8hr 57min
Final Stats:
Miles Driven (including some local driving): 960mi
Total kWh Consumed: 303kWh
Average wH/Mile: 315.625
Total Supercharger Cost: $88.87 + about $8.50 in home charging costs

With my Model Y's 75kWh battery. I guess with that driving pattern the total range on a full charge would be about 238 miles. It seems low for a "rated" 330, but guaranteed the EPA testing isn't riding along at nearly 80mph at 50ish degrees ambient. I'm OK with it for what it is.

My thoughts on the Tesla for a road trip vehicle are that if you’re traveling with someone else or family and you’re planning to stop for meals or other activities while charging, the Tesla is an incredible tool for the job. However, if in my case you’re flying solo and just want to get A-to-B as fast as possible I know I could have shaved at least an hour, maybe 90 minutes off the drive by taking an ICE vehicle and stopping once in a less populated area for less than 15 minutes to grab gas and a drive-thru and keep on motoring.

My Tesla replaces an older truck that averaged 17mpg, so as far as savings the total energy cost was $97.37. Fuel @ about $2.75/ga which was the average rate on the drive would have been $155.30, so about a 40% savings in cost for me personally. But do your own math if you have a more efficient vehicle. According to my calculation for this trip, in a car that does better 27.5mpg driving an ICE vehicle would have been cheaper.

View attachment 998409
"Left view of Tesla Model Y in Courbevoie - 2021-09-20" by Bretwa is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
2023 LRY I drive the speed limit 65-70 in 60%F and get 360miles on 90% charge

Reactions: ionsphere