Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 8169 mile cross country road trip experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Press release

Embracing Adventure: From Coast to Coast in a Tesla

Ukiah, California - April 2023 - In a spirited pursuit of adventure, I embarked on an epic cross-country journey from Northern California to the picturesque West Quoddy Head Lighthouse in Lubec, Maine. With a mere two weeks to spare before commencing a new chapter in my professional life, the open road beckoned, and I heeded the call.

Thirteen Days of Boundless Exploration

Over the course of thirteen exhilarating days, I covered an average of 628 miles each day. My journey began in the charming town of Ukiah, California, leading me south to Bakersfield and then eastward, venturing into the depths of Death Valley. After recharging, compliments of a stay at Harrah's in Las Vegas, I headed for the mighty continental divide, and then forging ahead through the heartland of America at a swift 85 miles per hour.

Efficiency and Convenience on the Road

No meticulous planning was needed for this road trip, the Tesla told me at each charging station how long I needed to charge to make it to my next stop. However, with the goal of minimizing charging time I typically would charge when the Tesla was about 20% State of Charge (SOC) . Typically, I covered about 90 miles before stopping to recharge for about 10 to 15 minutes--just long enough for bathroom breaks and snacks.

From Deserts to Snowstorms: A Whirlwind of Scenic Diversity

The journey unfolded with a backdrop of diverse and awe-inspiring landscapes. The route tested my mettle with scorching desert heat, torrential rainfalls, blinding snowstorms, and moments of breathtaking beauty that left an indelible mark on my memory.

East to West and Beyond

Reaching the easternmost point at West Quoddy Head Lighthouse in Lubec, Maine (most eastern point in the US), was a moment of triumph. However, the adventure was far from over. I then turned my gaze northwest, crossing into Canada with the ambitious goal of experiencing the renowned Trans-Canada Highway. This vital artery connects the eastern and western coasts of Canada, and I marveled at the preponderance of trucks on this vital route.

Seamless Supercharging and a Minimalist Budget

Throughout the journey, the longest stretch between Tesla superchargers was a mere 120 miles. With the dependable network of charging stations, I encountered no issues. Along the way, I utilized over 80 Tesla superchargers, enjoyed the convenience of two complimentary hotel L2 chargers, and, on one occasion, took advantage of 110 charging overnight. Remarkably, not a single Tesla supercharger was out of order during the entire trip. The total cost for supercharging came in at approximately $1,000.

Embracing the Future of Driving: Autopilot in Action

Autopilot technology took the wheel, managing more than 95% of the driving duties, rendering the journey a remarkably relaxing experience. The verdict was clear: road-tripping in a Tesla is not just feasible but an absolute delight.

In the age of electric mobility and with a spirit of adventure as my compass, my epic journey stands as a testament to the boundless possibilities and thrilling experiences that electric vehicles offer. The road less traveled becomes an open invitation, and I embraced it wholeheartedly, leaving a trail of stories and memories in my wake. The world is waiting to be explored, and a Tesla makes the journey an unforgettable experience.

IMG_3480.jpeg
IMG_1792.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3952.jpeg
    IMG_3952.jpeg
    379.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2789.jpeg
    IMG_2789.jpeg
    514.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3230.jpeg
    IMG_3230.jpeg
    595.2 KB · Views: 114
Since they are apparently charging for the max amp / watt usage in the highest usage hour of the month, as long as you don’t exceed that, charging the car should not increase the fee.

Example: let’s say you set the car to draw 4 kW.

Let’s say you have a max usage of 10 kW from running the AC and other things in your house at peak usage times. If I charge at that time, I’d get charged 14x instead of 10x.

In that month, if I only charged when the rest of my house was using 6 kW or less, then I still get charged 10x instead of 14x.

X for me is like $6.23 or whatever I posted above.

So simply charging off MY peak usage hours will decrease my costs.

This could be an example of how batteries could be used in any house to flatten out usage to eliminate peaks.

Sorry to go OT.
Okay thanks for your explanation but my electric company doesn't allow for a lower rate off peak usage. 🫤 I looked into that cuz I would have been glad to charge overnight but it's not an option for me.

I'd like to hear more about this too. I'm assuming you didn't use a fitted tent, the kind I've seen that actually fit on the back of Tesla's open trunk, and that you stopped at highway rest stops along the way, and had some kind of mattress that fit the back of your MY that your son and you shared. Please update us if possible.
I have considered doing this but my spouse is a big snorer and I don't think I would get much sleep. Otherwise it really appeals to me. Simple minimal amount of time setting up sleeping saves a lot of money and get back on the road quickly with needed rest.
Looking forward to your and anyone else's thoughts about these kinds of endeavors.
Mostly I slept at motels along the way but 3 or 4 times I just slept in the car because it was convenient. I slept fine in the car but I missed the hot shower. I just used a backpacking pad and sleeping but.

I have no idea of his brother’s location, but it’s probably that it’s not including the fees for transmission and having a meter etc. I am a Delmarva Delaware customer and pay far higher than the rates shown on this sheet if you just divide the variable portion of my bill by the number of KWh used. But this sheet does show $0.04 for EV off peak charging. https://www.delmarva.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/My Account/MyBillUsage/BillInserts/2023/DP-DE_Res Elec Bill Insert_Summer2023-A.pdf

I have requested from Delmarva the information on the TOTAL cost, and they have yet to respond to me. Notice that there’s a fee for the extra meter and a premium you need to pay if you charge your vehicle at peak times.
My brother lives in Stateline, Nevada. His total cost off peak is 5 cents/kW

Reactions: mknmike