Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another 2023 Model Y road-trip experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just read your write-up, and it's mostly the same for me. I just did a couple of road trips from Phoenix to California, the last one up around Visalia (600 miles). I used FSD most of the time I was on the highway, and it drove me crazy a few times for the idiotic stuff it did. I've certainly seen it phantom brake hard even when a big truck was bearing down from behind. And I've had the over-85mph problem too, when stomping on the accelerator to head off trouble. That should a warning-before-lockout situation. I've also had a lot of issues with nags about moving the wheel, and then moving the wheel isn't enough or it's too much. Now I just shut off the FSD and re-enable it using the stalk.

I mostly enjoyed the superchargers along the way, though the one I tried in Barstow in the rear of a shopping mall was poorly situated. In my destination location (Hanford), I found one DC fast charger that was CCS, but I couldn't make it work though my CCS-NACS adapter. Frustrating! I just ended up supercharging at locations 15-30 miles away.

I'm still getting used to the actual range of the car (MYP), but it's basically 2-2.5 hours at speed. I find that I'm OK going slower than usual (usual=85) if FSD is driving, so long stretches at 70 don't seem so grueling now. I tend to start a leg slower, then speed up as it becomes clear I'm going to have more than 10% of charge when I get to the charger. I've also learned to be wary of the nav system as it tried to route me back to Phoenix via Wickenburg (charger there) and I didn't notice that it wasn't taking I-10 as planned. I ended up leaving Indio a couple of minutes early and had to do a 3-minute charge in Buckeye later on.

I can't imagine road-tripping in a car that couldn't use Superchargers!

Reactions: johnnyruz
We are going on another 2-weeks trip in about a week. We plan to travel towards South Carolina, and maybe Georgia as well, depending on weather conditions.

Looking forward to the first trip of this year. Hope FSD doesn't fall apart on me during this trip!

... the car did tell me that I had enough to continue my journey at about 84%, but my range anxiety got the better of me and I let it ride up to almost 90. ... Arrived at the second supercharge in Richmond, KY Buc-ee's with 27% SOC after 155 mile
I've got 1100 miles coming up this month, so I'm curious about your experience.
Did it do way better on that leg than you were expecting, or do you not like letting it dip below 20%.
And are you running 85 and still getting reasonably accurate SOC estimates at chargers? I thought they were always based on driving the speed limit.

I've got 1100 miles coming up this month, so I'm curious about your experience.
Did it do way better on that leg than you were expecting, or do you not like letting it dip below 20%.
And are you running 85 and still getting reasonably accurate SOC estimates at chargers? I thought they were always based on driving the speed limit.
I haven't done a road trip since this one so memory is a bit foggy, but the SOC estimates were pretty spot-on, within 1-2% of estimated. I was just new to the Tesla for the trip so I had some range anxiety as I mentioned. I think it said at 84% I would arrive at the next supercharger with something like 18%, but charging up to 90% I got there at 27%, so maybe a little bit better than estimated but still very close.

As far as estimates and speed, I'm pretty sure the calculations figure in a lot of factors including your average rate of KW usage, so it will dynamically calculate and update that arrival percentage and take that into consideration rather than just based on distance & speed limit.