Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curious supercharging recommendations for M3 SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a recent 700 mile planned day in my 2023 M3 SR+ the onboard computer was recommending what to me seemed like unusually long supercharging stops. Interested if others have observed this and any thoughts on the logic behind these charging plans.

It is normal for the onboard computer to recommend next supercharging stops that bypass several superchargers along the route, but on this day the recommended stops were many more miles apart with resulting charge times of up to 50 minutes. So on this day I was overriding the recommended stops because I wanted a break more often than the computer was recommending. Actually a fine problem to have, but unusual in my experience.

Note on this trip power consumption averaged 224 wh/mile, which is quite close to the lifetime average power consumption for this car. Travel was on interstate highway through the Tennessee and Virginia mountains with modest changes in elevation.

The next morning I got on the road with with about 40% SOC and stopped about an hour later supercharging to about 80% by the time I got a coffee and breakfast biscuit. The car then recommended stopping for a supercharge at the next supercharger along the route, arriving with a 74% SOC and charging to very high SOC that would get the car to the planned destination with 10% SOC. There were three superchargers further along the route all reachable with the current charge. Not being ready to stop I added one of these superchargers to the route and the computer accepted this plan and removed the initial recommended stop apparently agreeing that we could get to the further charger with out problems.

I am interested in any insights that might be behind the long duration charging stops to very high SOC.

When I did a ~700 mile (each direction) road trip, I noticed that the Tesla trip planner favors fewer stops, filling up to 80% or so, while A Better Route Planner defaults to the fastest trip, which usually means running down to 10-15% and charging to around 50% to get to another SuperCharger at around 10-15%. This makes for more but quicker stops every ~2 hours or so, with a total trip time of around an hour and a half less. So I used the ABRP plan and put the next SuperCharger as the destination into the car's navigation each time.
Any thoughts or on why the algorithm shifted to longer charging stops to reach higher SOC on this most recent trip, versus running to lower SOC and charging to mid SOC as per historical behavior?
Looks like what you are saying as historical behavior is similar to ABRP's default. Seems like it would be more optimal for the Tesla trip planner / navigation to go back to that. ABRP has options to favor fewer longer stops or more shorter stops (compared to its default fastest trip), which would be a good idea for Tesla to add to its trip planner / navigation.

But maybe they changed it to fewer longer stops to make it more like what people used to driving ICEVs tend to do, which is to fill it up all the way.

On a recent 700 mile planned day in my 2023 M3 SR+ the onboard computer was recommending what to me seemed like unusually long supercharging stops. Interested if others have observed this and any thoughts on the logic behind these charging plans.

It is normal for the onboard computer to recommend next supercharging stops that bypass several superchargers along the route, but on this day the recommended stops were many more miles apart with resulting charge times of up to 50 minutes. So on this day I was overriding the recommended stops because I wanted a break more often than the computer was recommending. Actually a fine problem to have, but unusual in my experience.

Note on this trip power consumption averaged 224 wh/mile, which is quite close to the lifetime average power consumption for this car. Travel was on interstate highway through the Tennessee and Virginia mountains with modest changes in elevation.

The next morning I got on the road with with about 40% SOC and stopped about an hour later supercharging to about 80% by the time I got a coffee and breakfast biscuit. The car then recommended stopping for a supercharge at the next supercharger along the route, arriving with a 74% SOC and charging to very high SOC that would get the car to the planned destination with 10% SOC. There were three superchargers further along the route all reachable with the current charge. Not being ready to stop I added one of these superchargers to the route and the computer accepted this plan and removed the initial recommended stop apparently agreeing that we could get to the further charger with out problems.

I am interested in any insights that might be behind the long duration charging stops to very high SOC.
I noticed similar behaviour during out trip from BC to Ontario in May of the this year. It seemed to me that Tesla trip planner didn't want to route us to SC stations that required a slight backtrack to get to. In a few cases I had to ignore the route planner and set the destination to the optimal SC station.