Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backtracking with Frequent Superchargers in Route

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

swaltner

Oct 13, 2012
Kansas, USA
While planning my day for the supercharging.life “contest”, I would like to add the next several stations into my route. I’ve found that adding more than two stations and even sometimes when adding the 2nd station to the route where you don’t need to charge confuses the navigation software and it gives errant charging stops.

In the example below, instead of suggesting driving directly from one station in Columbia, MO to the other in Columbia, it added an errant stop 70 miles back to the previous stop.

I can generally work around it by doing the Remove Charging Stops, but it’s a little annoying in how it behaves. This seems to happen when you put charging stops in the route that are so close to each other that it has a 0 minute charging stop.

Is there a good way to report bogus routing to Tesla? I also see some odd navigation around town where it has you drive through an intersection and take a U-turn to come back to the intersection to take left turn there instead of just doing a right turn on the first time at the intersection.

Stops in my Route:
IMG_3065.jpeg

Calculated Route:
IMG_3066.jpeg

I experienced the same thing last week. Navigating from Irvine to Anaheim, no supercharging required... but I'd arrive with only 12% SOC and wanted to park with more juice so I didn't need to charge so much when I depart.

So, I added a supercharger just 3 blocks away from my Anaheim hotel. It was even 3 blocks BEFORE my hotel so right along my route.

Instead of accepting this stop, the Nav insisted on routing us to a Supercharger near Long Beach, about 15 miles (and 30 minutes!) out of the way and even past a couple of other eligible superchargers (with no wait). I cancelled and restarted Nav twice in disbelief, and it created the exact same route.