Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Haywire Trip Planner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently go my ne Tesla Model S( third Model S). I live in Knoxville, TN and was trying to plan a route to Durham, NC. We have made this trip many times and prefer to go through Bristol,VA to avoid Asheville. I thought our superchargers might change because of the increased range. I was able to put in the Bristol, VA supercharger and the Mt Airy,NC supercharger. The planner said I needed another super charger stop. When I put in the Greensboro charger it then routed us all over NC with multiple other stops. I have tried this on several different days with no success. What gives?

I presume you do realize that the route planner is basing upon your current car's SOC, so if you tend to do your trips leaving at say 90% and your car currently is only at 70%, then that will impact how it plans stops. Given you state this is your third Tesla you've be factoring that it, but just wanted to point that out just in case.

I don't know what your prior Model S was for your comparison. I have just gone from a mid2016 MS90D to a new 2023 MS LR, so in theory, my rated range has increased by over 100 rated miles, going from a car rated at 294 miles to one at 405 miles. Honestly, I'm not seeing what appears to be any significant reduction in my highway cruise Wh/mi numbers. So for me, the range benefit comes mainly from about a 10% larger battery capacity.

What I am seeing is a benefit in charging speed. So even though I'm tending to make similar number of supercharger stops, each tends to be for less time, say 20-25 minutes versus 30-40 minutes.

I will say the route planner doesn't tend to suggest stops the way I would tend to plan them myself. I've honestly never figured out it's logic. I'm still the type that runs scenarios via ABRP ahead of time just to get a sense for how I might want to manage stops based upon my preferences for food, coffee, etc.

Not sure whether any of this helps, but my observations as someone that's just gone from an earlier MS to a new MS LR.

Save travels.

The SOC should only affect the first stop. The trip planner should work with the planned stops and adjust charging time at each stop accordingly. However when I try to enter a third stop which IS east of my second stop, it starts routing me all over North Carolina. I have made this trip many times with the stops I am entering, so they should work except as you say the charging times should be less. My former car was a 2016-17 Model S 90 D. My new car is a Model S 100D LR.

Check when you add the third stop the order at which they show up in the trip. I'll find many times I'm trying to add an extra stop after the first stop, but it will put it at the next stop. You may need to go into the edit option and then drag the locations into the order you want.

I do find doing this at times, even if I'd added a stop, it will then override and replan stops based on what it thinks I need.

So only thing I can say is yes, the trip planner at times is a bit wonky.