Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best front license plate bracket option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For my 2018 model s I’m thinking I need some sort of solution that doesn’t involved adhesive mounting tape or drills.
Something I can pop on or off for a front plate.

What do y’all use?
I haven't tried these but looks like the Model 3 is lower

Thanks. Seems like I need to get the one for my year or it won’t line up.
Im
Assuming any other model or year won’t work.

I saw something online about a magnet but I think that required some bumper work.
I really didn’t want to use my adhesive tape.

Thanks. Seems like I need to get the one for my year or it won’t line up.
Im
Assuming any other model or year won’t work.

I saw something online about a magnet but I think that required some bumper work.
I really didn’t want to use my adhesive tape.
Take a look at the Bandit one. Easy on, off, and lockable.
I wouldn't trust the magnet one if you drive high speeds, plus I recall you'll have to take off the bumper for the installation.

I use the SnapPlate. I normally leave my front plate off unless parking in the city, so the fact that it's easy to install and remove without tools is a big plus.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
I use the SnapPlate. I normally leave my front plate off unless parking in the city, so the fact that it's easy to install and remove without tools is a big plus.

Any concern with the snap plate of someone taking your plate off?

Not really. You'd need to know that the mount is removable without tools, and really anyone can take virtually any license plate off any car with little more than a screwdriver. There is a security screw in the plate mount as well if you want a bit of extra security, but really if someone wants to take your plate, they're just going to take it.

There's also sentry mode in case of an actual theft.

I also used SnapPlate on my model 3. I ended up using the security screw which meant that I never took the plate off because I was too lazy to unscrew it.

Fast forward 4 years to selling my model 3, I took it through a flagship carwash for the first time (vs hand wash) and forgot to remove it and somehow it got completely Snapped off. Dude at the car wash stopped a car from going in after me and then ran in to look for it, found it, at which point water and soap started spraying everywhere onto him 😅

I hear the latest versions of SnapPlate are more resilient than the one I had though.

When I get my model S. I'll probably just use the default one.

SnapPlate now has a breakaway mount to prevent catastrophic damage in those cases:

I didn't bother with the breakaway mount since I only clean my cars myself, but this would be cheap insurance against machine washes.

For my 2018 model s I’m thinking I need some sort of solution that doesn’t involved adhesive mounting tape or drills.
Something I can pop on or off for a front plate.

What do y’all use?
As a fellow 2018 owner who bought a SnapPlate I can tell you their customer service is fantastic. Because they work using 2 latches that turn to lock behind the slats in the lower grill it can be somewhat tricky to get it to lock. I would come out every so often to my garage to grab my charger and hit the plate causing it to tilt left or right. One time doing it I found out it was just hanging there, and that somehow the tabs had snapped off keeping it from locking. So even if you use the screw to keep it from coming loose, once the tabs snap it doesn't matter. So I immediately went online to see when I bought it, and as luck would have it my warranty ran out a month over. I called them to ask about buying another base ($100) and they offered to send me a promo code for a free replacement! I'll be honest, this one locked much easier so "maybe" because they are 3D printed mine might've been a tad snug when flush against the slats.

Since putting it back on, it hasn't moved an inch! I just bought the side trim pieces ($10) to make it look even better!

I use magnets for my front plate. I never put it on but should I ever get a fix it ticket I can just pop it on and then take it back off without issue.

Use some RTV or any caulking type material you have lying around and stick 3 magnets into the spaces on the back of the plate holder where it looks like they fit. Once dry pop off the nosecone and find the spot where the plate holder is supposed to screw into, there are very small indents and put the caulking and magnets there and the plate holder on the outside obviously paying attention to + and - sides of the magnets and let it dry and you got yourself a quick and easy detachable front plate with no permanent marks or holes anywhere

How is it that you can only use your front plate when parking in the city? I though states either require a front plate or don’t, regardless of where you park. Is it different in VA?
VA requires a front plate. I just don't put it on most of the time. I drove my Miata for 5 years until I got pulled over for no front plate, and then it was just a warning.

I did get a ticket from a DC meter maid for no front plate about 20 years ago though, so that's why I put it on if I'm street parking in the city.

Reactions: EveryAmp
I hear the latest versions of SnapPlate are more resilient than the one I had though.
They have two versions of the SnapPlate, where one is a little harder to break. I'd rather have the easier breakable version because then there is less change of damage to the car. But it's not like it will break when you touch it, it's still very sturdy, just breaks when you'd want it to break ro protect your car.

Reactions: EveryAmp
Today got
Pulled
Over for no front plate. Pulled the snap plate out of the frunk. Snapped it on. Cop gave me a warning and I gave him the link so he could order one.
All in all. A good purchase
It's great when you encounter an understanding Officer. They have a difficult job to do enforcing the law and often when drivers ignore the laws and get caught they blame the Officers that stop them even though they are the ones at fault. Just because we don't agree with certain vehicle laws is no excuse for ignoring them and blaming the cops for enforcing them. Ultimately we need to get States and Cities to remove vehicle laws like this or get car manufactures to design in front plate areas, like many vehicles used to do in the past.

It's great when you encounter an understanding Officer. They have a difficult job to do enforcing the law and often when drivers ignore the laws and get caught they blame the Officers that stop them even though they are the ones at fault. Just because we don't agree with certain vehicle laws is no excuse for ignoring them and blaming the cops for enforcing them. Ultimately we need to get States and Cities to remove vehicle laws like this or get car manufactures to design in front plate areas, like many vehicles used to do in the past.

See, I'm actually a proponent of the front plate. I think all cars should have them.

Reason being - when someone does something stupid (like this person who rear-ended our Model 3) ... Teslacam can capture the front plate.

Gives us the best chance to identify bad actors.

Attachments

• rearend.jpg
    rearend.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 33