Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drill Front License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No vehicle state inspection for zero emission vehicles along with no sales tax either. My front plate is in a plastic bag in the trunk since day one.
That's pretty dumb of your state. Vehicles still need to have good steering, brakes, suspension, working lights and most importantly tires to operate on the road. All of those parts are fully in common with gasoline vehicles and tires wear out even faster on EVs.

My state still has safety inspections, but EVs are exempt from emissions inspection.

I've heard a lot of discussion about no-drill license plate mounting, but not a single discussion about where to safely drill if you'd like to permanently affix a front license plate to the Y.
Where to drill ? After gluing the black plate holder to the front of the Tesla, simply drill 4 small holes thru the plate holder until it goes thru the front fender (also in plastic, much thinner than the plate holder !!!). The holes are at the 4 corners but not too close to any edge, to give room for the push in rivet.
Bottom line: plastic rivets to hold two pieces of plastic together.

I too am of the camp that wants to more permanently attach my expensive personalized plate in the front. Why have an extra-cost plate if you don't show it? Also surprising are the drivers who paid even more for the new, "black-out" plates and only attach it in the back.

I was surprised when the dealer of my last car just drilled 2 self-tapping screws into the plastic bumper. So I first attached the adhesive Tesla frame, drilled 2 short, stainless steel screws through the license frame into the bumper, and cover it with the plate which is attached with at least 2 security bolts. This makes it difficult for someone who thinks they can easily remove a plate with a screwdriver, or a carwash that eats adhesive frames for lunch. My first personalized plate was just ripped off the car with pieces of the plate still under the bolts. Sometimes you just can't stop a determined thief.