Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate holder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried mounting the front license plate holder that came with my Y and it fell off over night. The included front license plate holder is an adhesive back but I suspect because I had PPF installed on the front that it didn't allow the adhesive to stay.

So I am looking for an alternative and seeking suggestions. Don't want to drill. I see no adhesive back holders on Amazon that seem intriguing.
Tesla Y non adhesive back front license holder

I would go with the snap-plate. Easy to mount plus they have halloween and Christmas swag

IMG_7253.jpeg

Aren't laws more sort of guidance in those areas? [1] I mean do you expect to get stopped for no front plate?

Change the test and tally up 'regular' vehicles for front plate yes or no

[1] that wasn't supposed to be rude btw

I'm not worried about police out in the country but when traveling into Dallas-Ft. Worth area or any where else in Texas. Not worth the $70-$200 ticket.

I did just purchase a no drill front license plate holder on Amazon.

Reactions: fredzos and DanDi58
the snap plate is a good one to pick up if you just want to be cautious and not want to be hassled.

i'm from houston and am not running with a front plate

i haven't had a front plate on any of my previous cars in the last 10 years here and haven't been pulled over for no front plate.

i know of some people that got warnings about it when they got pulled over for speeding but no ticket.

guessing it all depends on the cop but i dont think majority are out looking to see if you have a front plate

I don't like the idea of the Snap plate or that bandit setup. I can imagine someone backing into the car and cause that grill be damaged.
I do see a few tow hook alternatives online for the X, but not fond of their design either.
I've reached to usmillworks to see if they will design one for the X but was turned down.
They have the best quality and design and i had it on my bmw.

I installed a small patch of 3M PPF behind where my front License plate resides, then after removing the factory sticky tape, attached the factory plate holder with adhesive backed Velcro strips. It's been on my M3 for almost 5 years now. No complaints.

Reactions: urza
I tried mounting the front license plate holder that came with my Y and it fell off over night. The included front license plate holder is an adhesive back but I suspect because I had PPF installed on the front that it didn't allow the adhesive to stay.

So I am looking for an alternative and seeking suggestions. Don't want to drill. I see no adhesive back holders on Amazon that seem intriguing.
The PPF should not affect adhesion. I had PPF and it was fine. You need to ensure the surface is clean (clean with regular car wash then afterwards you can use rubbing alcohol), smooth, and dry. Also ensure the area and adhesive is warm while applying. You can use a hair dryer to assist. It's better to apply during the day and letting it cure in warmer temperatures (or if it must be at night at least in warmer garage).

3M VHB adhesive has a minimum temperature for curing, and below that temperature it will not stick well or cure properly. Suggested tape application temperature range is 20-40C (68-104F).

Take off you license plate, line up the bottom, then push from bottom up (with license plate off it allows you to push on plastic directly). You can see on both sides and the top if the tape was able to stick.

That said, once the adhesive is off, it may lose its tack. It was really designed for a single application, so you only get one chance.

Reactions: Resist
The PPF should not affect adhesion. I had PPF and it was fine. You need to ensure the surface is clean (clean with regular car wash then afterwards you can use rubbing alcohol), smooth, and dry. Also ensure the area and adhesive is warm while applying. You can use a hair dryer to assist.

3M adhesive has a minimum temperature for curing, and below that temperature it will not stick well or cure properly. Suggested tape application temperature range is 20-40C (68-104F).
I had just washed and dried the car. But didn't use alcohol.
I went ahead and bought a no drill license plate holder from Amazon.

A front plate is required in my state but I didn't want to use adhesive or drill into the car to mount one so I got something similar to the Snap Plate but less expensive on Amazon. It works great and I've found that I leave it off most of the time for a cleaner look. I keep it in the sub-trunk just in case.

I had just washed and dried the car. But didn't use alcohol.
I went ahead and bought a no drill license plate holder from Amazon.
Rubbing alcohol helps remove oils and displace any residual moisture, which is why it's typically a recommended step before VHB tape application for the best results.

The temperature probably is a big factor too, and something many instructions neglect to mention, which may result in a subpar bond. It basically has to be well above room temperature while curing to stick to full adhesion.

At this point, I suppose a plate holder is a good option.

Keep it in a plastic bag in the trunk where I keep mine. Most Tesla's here in NJ do not display the front plate

I don't like the idea of the Snap plate or that bandit setup. I can imagine someone backing into the car and cause that grill be damaged.
I do see a few tow hook alternatives online for the X, but not fond of their design either.
I've reached to usmillworks to see if they will design one for the X but was turned down.
They have the best quality and design and i had it on my bmw.
That is the reason that Snap Plate designed their Tesla vehicle front license plate mount to break away if bumped or vandalized. Replacement parts are available for Snap Plate at a reasonable cost. Much less expensive than replacing the front grill on your Tesla vehicle. (The updated Snap Plate is designed to not break away when going through an automated car wash so you don't have to remove the Snap Plate or if you forget.)