Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drill Front License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard a lot of discussion about no-drill license plate mounting, but not a single discussion about where to safely drill if you'd like to permanently affix a front license plate to the Y.
I personally have had the factory adhesive come off, cleaned with IPA, applied a large amount of VBH in warm weather, and still had that fall off. I want to go through automatic car washes without having to remove some aftermarket plate mount and couldn't find anything out there. It's the law where I live and police like to target tesla owners for petty stuff like that. Even bragging about it on social media:
There are no holes in the front plate bracket, so I used new VHB tape to stick the holder on, then drilled two holes through the combined bracket and bumper. I used 1/4" diameter bolts, but whatever hardware you have on hand should work since you're drilling new holes in both pieces.

There's a steel crash bar right behind the bumper where the factory plate mounts, so there's not a ton of risk of damaging anything sensitive. Still I put some tape on the drill bit to make sure it didn't punch through too deep. Here's a picture of a Y with the bumper off to get a sense of what's back there:
1695772752432.png

Out of an abundance of caution I also put blue locktite on the bolts, since the Y bumper plastic felt exceptionally soft.

So far it's been 3 months and many automatic car washes and that license plate hasn't budged.

I'd love to hear about other's experiences and any gotchas. Looking at what's behind the bumper I think you could have even used self-tapping sheet metal bolts, but I wasn't quite brave enough to try that.

I've heard a lot of discussion about no-drill license plate mounting, but not a single discussion about where to safely drill if you'd like to permanently affix a front license plate to the Y.
I personally have had the factory adhesive come off, cleaned with IPA, applied a large amount of VBH in warm weather, and still had that fall off. I want to go through automatic car washes without having to remove some aftermarket plate mount and couldn't find anything out there. It's the law where I live and police like to target tesla owners for petty stuff like that. Even bragging about it on social media:
There are no holes in the front plate bracket, so I used new VHB tape to stick the holder on, then drilled two holes through the combined bracket and bumper. I used 1/4" diameter bolts, but whatever hardware you have on hand should work since you're drilling new holes in both pieces.

There's a steel crash bar right behind the bumper where the factory plate mounts, so there's not a ton of risk of damaging anything sensitive. Still I put some tape on the drill bit to make sure it didn't punch through too deep. Here's a picture of a Y with the bumper off to get a sense of what's back there:
View attachment 977442

Out of an abundance of caution I also put blue locktite on the bolts, since the Y bumper plastic felt exceptionally soft.

So far it's been 3 months and many automatic car washes and that license plate hasn't budged.

I'd love to hear about other's experiences and any gotchas. Looking at what's behind the bumper I think you could have even used self-tapping sheet metal bolts, but I wasn't quite brave enough to try that.
Ohh, no ... I'm cringing that you drilled holes in your Tesla. I also would not take any of my cars through an automatic car wash. But ... if it's working, then that's the way to do it.

In my case my non Tesla came with a factory front license plate mount screwed into the front bumper. It wasnt even centered on the front bumper which was really annoying.

I ended up finding a two part solution. I removed the plate and factory plastic plate mount. Leaving lovely off center holes in the front bumper. I found a company that actually sells plugs to fill these holes with factory matched paint colors. Ok part one done. It came out better than expected.

Then I found the StoNSho plate bracket. They market it as "Stow the plate while you Show your car" I would guess for show cars etc. The benefit here is on most cars you dont have to drill holes into the front of the bumper. On my non tesla the plate bracket uses existing holes underneath the front bumper. You just screw it in and then mount the plate to the plate mount. Then it slides into the mount you attached under your bumper. It also provides a quick release feature so you can remove the plate when washing the car or whenever you dont want the plate on. But for me its nice to remove it when washing the car etc.

They have a few versions for Teslas although I dont see the Y on there. You might contact them if interested in going that route.

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 8.43.04 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 8.43.40 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 8.44.53 AM.png

Also unless you’re already getting pulled over for another offense, most jurisdictions won’t pull you over just to cite you for no front plate.

More likely you would get one from parking enforcement if parked on the street.

that's my experience from my area.

it's the law to have a front plate here but majority are not getting pulled over just for not having one.

most people here get warnings about not having one if they're pulled over for speeding.

Thanks for the info @rstk and others. There are many threads on here about all the different stowable or non-destructive license plate mounting options, and many threads about how low the risk is of getting a ticket.

For the people who do want to permanently affix their plate, for whatever reason, I wanted to put some info out there about any risks and how to do it safely.

I just want a car that complies with all local laws and can be taken through a car wash without any extra work, but I can imagine rideshare cars, cabs, rentals, etc. would also be curious what options are available.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I'm taking the risk right now with my state requiring the front one. I have the "spare" plate in the rear but should probably put it in the front and if pulled over state that the double sided failed. Has anyone used a tow hook plate holder? I was thinking of going that route but then those "jump" wired might stay exposed, have not fiddled with it to see if they can simply be tucked back in.

Texas requires that a front license plate be installed. But you can see A LOT of cars driving around with only rear license plate. I drove a previous car without a front license plate and now drive Tesla the same way. Zero issues.
I heard stories when cop pulled over and ticketed because of that. But I guess the probability of "bad cop day" is less than totaling your car because of a hailstorm in Texas. If that's going to happen - just bad luck.

Reactions: fredzos