Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drill Front License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard a lot of discussion about no-drill license plate mounting, but not a single discussion about where to safely drill if you'd like to permanently affix a front license plate to the Y.
I personally have had the factory adhesive come off, cleaned with IPA, applied a large amount of VBH in warm weather, and still had that fall off. I want to go through automatic car washes without having to remove some aftermarket plate mount and couldn't find anything out there. It's the law where I live and police like to target tesla owners for petty stuff like that. Even bragging about it on social media:
There are no holes in the front plate bracket, so I used new VHB tape to stick the holder on, then drilled two holes through the combined bracket and bumper. I used 1/4" diameter bolts, but whatever hardware you have on hand should work since you're drilling new holes in both pieces.

There's a steel crash bar right behind the bumper where the factory plate mounts, so there's not a ton of risk of damaging anything sensitive. Still I put some tape on the drill bit to make sure it didn't punch through too deep. Here's a picture of a Y with the bumper off to get a sense of what's back there:
View attachment 977442

Out of an abundance of caution I also put blue locktite on the bolts, since the Y bumper plastic felt exceptionally soft.

So far it's been 3 months and many automatic car washes and that license plate hasn't budged.

I'd love to hear about other's experiences and any gotchas. Looking at what's behind the bumper I think you could have even used self-tapping sheet metal bolts, but I wasn't quite brave enough to try that.
I am thinking about drilling to secure the front license plate on my M3. I do not trust the double side adhesive. I have used quite a bit this exact same adhesive in my home for different purposes. It works well because not exposing to sunlight. The car is very different, soon or later, the adhesive will fail to stick.

Thanks for sharing the picture.

Reactions: supergeek
Supergeek: I understand how you drilled and inserted the bolts, but how did you get access to the inside of the body of the car in order to install the nuts on the bolts? Can you provide instructions, please? I tried opening the front and removing the bolts there, but still couldn't get access.

I have been using the supplied adhesive for my front license plate. 5 months and no problem at all. However, I am thinking about using the push in rivets for much stronger hold. For this two or four small hole need to be drilled thru the black plate and the font bumper, then simply push in the rivets.
The black plate will never fall out. The front bumper appears to be made of plastic.
A car without the front license plate looks odd to my eyes, like a face without nose. That's just me and probably about 1 out of 10 Tesla owners.

I hate having the front plate but the ticket in my area is now near $300…the last one I got (15 years ago) was “just” $100 and that was enough to get me to install the front plate on that car even though I hated it. I ordered a TesFram front license plate for my Model Y.

Mine is also glued on. I just want to be really sure it hold in all normal condition including extreme heat at the plate. Heat is well known to soften.the glue and cause it to lose its bonding strength. I use glue very often to glue guitar, violin, cello parts. They are great but when exposed to heat, parts get separated !!!

The push in fasteners arrive today. It took me only 30 seconds to drill one hole (thru the black plate holder then the front fender which is just thin plastic) and push in the fastener. Put on 4 of these fasteners, the black plate holder will never fall off. The whole job took me 15 minutes.
Now, I can be sure the front license plate stays there for good.
Here is the picture of these fasteners (come in a box with 220 of them). Cost only 6$+tax.
I use the left most one (at bottom of picture).

push in fastener.JPG

I took the Prius in for an inspection last week and they woudn't even start on it until I gave them the front plate and they'd tied it to the grill with some cable ties. Nedless to say I cut those as soon as I got home and put the plate back in the trunk where it belongs

DFW area

I took the Prius in for an inspection last week and they wouldn't even start on it until I gave them the front plate and they'd tied it to the grill with some cable ties. Needless to say I cut those as soon as I got home and put the plate back in the trunk where it belongs

DFW area

it's really that strict now? never had a problem before.

used to get inspection done at the dealership, while getting oil change with previous car, and never had problem with not having a front plate.

I have been using the supplied adhesive for my front license plate. 5 months and no problem at all. However, I am thinking about using the push in rivets for much stronger hold. For this two or four small hole need to be drilled thru the black plate and the font bumper, then simply push in the rivets.
The black plate will never fall out. The front bumper appears to be made of plastic.
A car without the front license plate looks odd to my eyes, like a face without nose. That's just me and probably about 1 out of 10 Tesla owners.
I used the delivery adhesive and mount on my M3 for 4 years without an issue… I’ve had it on my MS for 2 and no issues either.

Reactions: Hellpops
I took the Prius in for an inspection last week and they woudn't even start on it until I gave them the front plate and they'd tied it to the grill with some cable ties. Nedless to say I cut those as soon as I got home and put the plate back in the trunk where it belongs

DFW area
No vehicle state inspection for zero emission vehicles along with no sales tax either. My front plate is in a plastic bag in the trunk since day one.

Attachments

• Tesla Free Charging IMG_9065.JPG
    Tesla Free Charging IMG_9065.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 11