Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Bracket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to take delivery of a new Model S in the coming weeks. Delivery center is saying that they come off the line with the front plate bracket installed. I really don't want the plate bracket on there.

A few questions
  1. Can anyone confirm if this is true and that the cars do indeed deliver with the bracket on?
  2. If it does come installed, can it be removed? Are there holes in the bumper?
  3. If there are holes left in the bumper after removal, is there an easy fix?
Thanks!

There previously were two fasteners that went in from the underside. Do I understand those has now been removed? I've not gotten around to removing it from my new MS LR that was delivered late December, but I do not spot from a quick look at my car.

Also, for those that have removed on newer cars, did you bother removing the three bolts from the front? It it's like my older 2016, the painter outer layer is bolted to an unpainted smaller plate that it what actually was held to the front bumper by adhesive. I'm just wondering if it's advantageous taking that outer layer off first to make it a little easier to get to where the adhesive tape is located.

I know some people recommend using a hair dryer or heat gun to soften up the adhesive tape first. I didn't do that on my 2016 MS, but I took delivery of it at the end of June. Not sure how essential that is, but that's one of the reasons I did remove mine yet, given it's been cold, knew the adhesive would be a little tougher to deal with, and figured I'd wait until inside of my garage was at least in the mid 50's before trying to remove it. Seems like every time it warms up, I'm thinking I'll remove it over the weekend, it then turns and gets cold again.

Thanks.

Reactions: MobileMikeV
I’m just going to leave this here:

No heat gun or hair dryer is necessary at all. I took the front license plate holder off my 2023 Model S today in about five minutes which included rubbing the adhesive tape off the bumper.

1. Get Berkley Trilene Big Game Monofilament Fishing Line. It comes in various strengths so make sure you get the 40 pound version. I put on some gloves after I cut a piece so I wouldn't hurt my hands. You just work it in from one side and slowly saw it up and down until you are through to the other side. Left to right in my case but it doesn't matter.

2. Then I just used my thumbs to slowly roll the remaining tape off. A bit tedious but it comes off just fine in a few minutes.

3. Then I sprayed some RapidTac Rapid Remover Adhesive Remover for Vinyl Wraps Graphics Decals Stripes 4oz Sprayer on the front bumper and wiped the remaining residue off with a microfiber tower. Looks great. The RapidTac dries off and will not hurt the clear coat.

I got the two items above from Amazon but there are numerous sites from which to buy those.

This thread is great timing for me. I am picking up my new MSP on Sunday and learned the front license is installed at the factory. I was panicking about what to do with that abomination. Removal sounds pretty straightforward.

Thanks all!!

Reactions: Beandoc
Sorry for the late reply. Yes, the current Model S cars have a front plate bracket installed from the factory but it's easy to remove if you get after it right away and don't give the double stick tape a chance to really set up.

Took mine off with a hair dryer and fishing line as shown in all the you tube videos out there. It came right off with one pass of the fishing line behind the black plastic mounting plate after heating for about five minutes with the hair dryer. After the black plastic mounting plate comes off the two strips of tape will remain, heat them up again and roll the stuff off with your thumbs.

I didn't use any alcohol or goop off.

Mine also came off very easily. I did not use any sort of heater - just 40 lb test fishing line. Then rolled the remaining tape off of the car.

As some suggested I masked off the area around the frame with blue masking tape to protect that paint from any accidents. I also made sure to pull out while “sawing” to prevent the fishing from contacting the paint on the bumper.

Reactions: Beandoc
What everyone else said. Hair dryer, fishing line, goo gone. Heat it, saw it with fishing line, use your fingers to pull off excess leftover tape, then Goo Gone what is left over on the bumper. Be super careful with the Goo Gone, it can remove the paint of you're not careful.
I'm pretty sure you're mixing up Goo Gone and Goof Off. Goof Off will definitely take off paint, but I've never heard anyone claim to have an issue with Goo Gone.

I'm pretty sure you're mixing up Goo Gone and Goof Off. Goof Off will definitely take off paint, but I've never heard anyone claim to have an issue with Goo Gone.
Possible. I removed my front license plate right before taking it in for PPF and it was the PPF guys that told me "Goo Gone will remove paint! You got lucky!", so I was just passing along the message... lol... It worked fine for me.