Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Plate Holder on refreshed Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I’ve seen a few refreshed Model S without the front license plate holder from factory.

Is the front license plate from the factory drilled into the bumper? Wondering if anyone removed it for a clean look.

Attachments

• IMG_2531.jpeg
    IMG_2531.jpeg
    483 KB · Views: 241
No, the front license plate holder is not drilled into the bumper and can be removed cleanly. You can find many YouTube videos that show you how to do it. I removed mine. It takes time because the plate holder is attached using adhesive strips, but it’s worth the effort.

No, the front license plate holder is not drilled into the bumper and can be removed cleanly. You can find many YouTube videos that show you how to do it. I removed mine. It takes time because the plate holder is attached using adhesive strips, but it’s worth the effort.
Or wait until it comes off on its own once water, salt, and gunk gets through the adhesive like mine when the holder with the plate completely came off while on the highway and had to spend money on one of these.

It's like you are always spending money on little things that Tesla gets wrong to fix it.

20230623_181748.jpg

Ill use a heat gun to get it a bit hot. What takes me a long time is usually the glue cleanup after
I used a hair dryer. The glue came off pretty cleanly, I just needed to wipe a couple of spots with Goo Gone. The dental floss took a long time because it wasn't strong enough and kept breaking.

On my previous 2018 S, the front plate holder was attached underneath the front of the car with bolts, in addition to being glued on. Those were more of a pain to remove than the glue.

Is that all which is holding it to the bumper? Just adhesive? The reason I ask is I have a new 2023 MS which has some crazy looking screw heads that I can't find any type of socket for. It looks like those are screwed into another piece of plastic behind the outer part. I had a tech at my home a few days ago, and he said he wasn't sure if the screws went all the way through into the bumper or not. TIA

Is that all which is holding it to the bumper? Just adhesive? The reason I ask is I have a new 2023 MS which has some crazy looking screw heads that I can't find any type of socket for. It looks like those are screwed into another piece of plastic behind the outer part. I had a tech at my home a few days ago, and he said he wasn't sure if the screws went all the way through into the bumper or not. TIA
The screws do not go through to the bumper but hold the two parts of the plate holder together.

I used a thin 30 lb test fishing line to cut through the double-sided foam tape as dental floss kept breaking for me.

Yep takes 10-15 minutes on the refreshed S. Easier than prior models since the three star shaped bolts are on the front (was underneath the bumper which made it trickier before).

With some fishing line, and a heat gun, you can soften the double sided tape that holds the plate holder to the bumper. Just floss through behind the plate and up/down behind the plate holder. It’ll slice through the tape easily. Dental floss won’t work as it’s too weak.

Then, you can remove the tape remains with your finger/rolling it with some heat gun magic. Comes off cleanly.

On my 2023, just used liberal amounts of goo gone. I cut through the adhesive with Home Depot sourced roll of twine. Screws on top plate do not matter.

I had no access to an outlet even if I had a heat gun. Took about 30 mins at room temp. That adhesive is no joke. Just relieved Tesla did not screw it into the bumper.

I will follow-up on my earlier post to inform those who are interested that the screws/bolts do not go through the bumper as others stated here. I was able to get it off just by pulling on the bracket using a lot of force. It pulled off, but it left some of the adhesive tape. I was able to get that off just by pulling on the adhesive. Some was stuck on fairly well, so I used an old hairdryer to heat the adhesive. I was much easier to get it off once it was heated. Now I have a slick, clean front bumper without the wart (license plate bracket) on the nose.