Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tomorrow Trina Solar (TSL) is having their Q2 earnings call at 8am EST.
Press Releases | Trina Solar

They updated their Q2 guidance on 8/8/13 (Press Releases | Trina Solar).

Btw, is anyone a big fan of TSL and know them really well? If so, what's their competitive advantage?

+1! Only thing I know is they have JAN15 Calls :D

Im still in also With thoose sleepy. I Also have some REC and SCTY.

Last edited:
I was actually going to say that Trina Solar's competitive advantage is that it has J15 options, options trade at $0.01 increments, and the stock price has been a laggard in the Chinese solar industry. For these reasons I have bought some J15 $10 options today as well as some Mar14 $8 options.

I really don't know that much about TSL other than:

1. High quality Chinese manufacturer, one of the most established companies.
2. High exposure to Europe, supplies panels to SCTY. Should benefit from EU - China deal.
3. Needs an EPC business.
4. 2nd highest supply capacity after YGE. I have a feeling that this will greatly benefit TSL in a year or two if the economy picks up.
5. Relatively good balance sheet; significantly better than YGE.
6. Looks like China is going to force/encourage consolidation in the solar industry and TSL should be in a good position to pick up some cheap capacity assets. May be able to pick up some of STP's assets as well, probably along with some debt too if that company is dissolved.
7. Brand name
8. It is trading lower than it was before it preannounced good earnings. It also announced a big 300MW deal last week, and started the day really well before tanking later.

With a good earnings report, I feel like this stock can take off. At the same time I fear that it will pull a JKS and start the day up 15% and finish up only 4%; and then tank the next few days. With a bad report, it will probably tank even more. But the report shouldn't be bad, because when you preannounce a good ER, you only give half the good news. When you preannounce a bad ER, you give out all of the bad news.

funny how Earning play out, here is what i see.

TSL looses money and stock goes up since they had a small beat (still a big loss) and guided for less loss.
I guess the TSL share holders were already ok with the company losing money for a while.
CSIQ and SPWR share holders were looking for unstoppable growth and their earning didnt guide it so they tanked regardless of the big income beats.

i wouldnt. LEAPs you have plenty of time on. Yes the solar market is beat down right now. and might take another small beating is SOL reports bad next week. But since you have all that time i would hold fast. solar is growing quickly right now and you will see a larger return if you hold off.

funny how Earning play out, here is what i see.

TSL looses money and stock goes up since they had a small beat (still a big loss) and guided for less loss.
I guess the TSL share holders were already ok with the company losing money for a while.
CSIQ and SPWR share holders were looking for unstoppable growth and their earning didnt guide it so they tanked regardless of the big income beats.

It may have something to do how much each stock went up already YTD.

SCTY = over 200% before ER.
CSIQ = over 200% before ER.
SPWR = over 250% before ER.

now we have TSL = only 70%

maybe?

It may have something to do how much each stock went up already YTD.

SCTY = over 200% before ER.
CSIQ = over 200% before ER.
SPWR = over 250% before ER.

maybe?

Yes, this is it. This is also the reason I bought TSL options yesterday. It was a laggard compared to other solar stocks.

SOL was also a laggard leading up to June and then the stock doubled in a month. TSL will not double from here that quickly, but it could potentially outperform the other Chinese solars in the short term.

It does have alot to do with it, if not all of it. As I said it was growth. SPWR got killed almost purely on Q3 guidance because they sand bagged it. People saw high growth last quarter and they expect it to continue as the share price fallowed suit. Once that trend appears to be broken (sandbagged Q3 guidance) everyone takes their profits and jumps ship and looks for the next best thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow i am shocked by the lack of movement in the TSL options.
I almost think something is wrong. I see trading on the yahoo page for Jan14 (with no price movements) but on my brokerage account no trading at all.

maybe?

This is one of the reasons I invested in TSL. We install lots of both CSIQ and TSL and their quality is identical. They are both also scoring large utility scale contracts so management is really the only differentiator, which I have to admit I haven't researched to great depths. I'm just going off of what I know is going on in the industry as an end integrator. These two brands are tops in my eyes when it comes to price-quality. SPWR is a better panel technology wise however it has an extremely high premium. I'm actually impressed they are still in business when it comes to pricing. They really sell their best panels in the world well. Most of my customers won't even consider SPWR because of the premium, however by paying attention to their possessions I have a good feel for when I can press the SPWR sale.

Last edited:
This is one of the reasons I invested in TSL. We install lots of both CSIQ and TSL and their quality is identical. They are both also scoring large utility scale contracts so management is really the only differentiator, which I have to admit I haven't researched to great depths. I'm just going off of what I know is going on in the industry as an end integrator. These two brands are tops in my eyes when it comes to price-quality. SWPR is a better panel technology wise however it has an extremely high premium. I'm actually impressed they are still in business when it comes to pricing. They really sell their best panels in the world well. Most of my customers won't even consider SWPR because of the premium, however by paying attention to their possessions I have a good feel for when I can press the SWPR sale.

Thank you theshadows! Very informative! Good to hear from People who are in the industry.

Talking about industry, the Whole green sector went green today. So weird how they follow eachother.

I bought some SCTY options at the end of the day because it has been a laggard.

Do you have an PPS estimate for SCTY? Also, are these options long term or near term?

I am tempted to get into Solar City at these levels, but only because its down ~25% from earlier this month, and its ER really didn't seem that bad. All solar stocks appear to have dropped substantially this month without necessarily under-performing in their earnings reports (at least not on the surface). Are people under the impression that this is just profit taking because of the massive gains this year, or is there another potential reason (like expectations being too high and leading to a sell off)? TSL's earnings report seems to have kick started a nice upward trend today for the Chinese solars - would it be enough though to reverse the downward trend we've been seeing this last month?

I did a short-term swing play by buying TSL and SCTY today at market open thinking both would gain because of TSL's nice ER. Got burned by SCTY but TSL worked out. Closed both positions at end of day because was concerned SCTY was acting so differently than rest of the solar stocks. I'm concerned there's something going on like a big holder liquidating but I don't know over how long, or some kind of short movement.

Wow i am shocked by the lack of movement in the TSL options.
I almost think something is wrong. I see trading on the yahoo page for Jan14 (with no price movements) but on my brokerage account no trading at all.

I'm still an options noob but my gut feeling is that the volume was really low on their options because everyone was watching to see what would happen. My leaps caught up though in the last 30 minutes of trading. It looks like all expirations December on had really thin trading today.