Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, I never thought the bandoliers were electrical units. I just relied on the wrong sources when looking for comparison data instead of searching TMC for my previous posts.

The Jason talk said the pack is four 200V modules
200V is around 50 cells
4x48x7 = 1,344 and 201.6 V @ 4.2 (x4)

Oh!, Maybe 1,366 includes the low voltage battery?
1366 = 1344 + 22
22 = 11S x 2P
11 * 4.2=46.2V
I think you cracked the code. Yeah, the 1366 number probably includes the low voltage battery. Would 22 cells about match the power and energy capacity of Tesla’s current lithium low voltage battery? (Plus more since it’s a truck).

Anyone else dying to read that Tesla written “How to build a 48V architecture” PDF?

I think you cracked the code. Yeah, the 1366 number probably includes the low voltage battery. Would 22 cells about match the power and energy capacity of Tesla’s current lithium low voltage battery? (Plus more since it’s a truck).

Anyone else dying to read that Tesla written “How to build a 48V architecture” PDF?
22 4680s is around 2.2 kWh. In old terms that's greater than a 150 ampHour 12V equivalent. That's three times a typical car battery.
Why so big? Drive by wire steering is reportedly 5hp peak or just under 4kW. Bigger also cuts down on recharge cycles when off.

Yah, I would be interested in that guide!

• Helpful
Reactions: navguy12
22 4680s is around 2.2 kWh. In old terms that's greater than a 150 ampHour 12V equivalent. That's three times a typical car battery.
Why so big? Drive by wire steering is reportedly 5hp peak or just under 4kW. Bigger also cuts down on recharge cycles when off.

22 4680s seems like it would physically package up in about the same size of a truck lead acid battery.

Yah, I would be interested in that guide!

Jason Cammisa on his podcast said he had to sign an NDA to see that document, which he said was entitled "How to engineer a 48V vehicle". But if Tesla really sent it out to the other OEMs, and suppliers, obviously they didn't sign NDAs, so we should see it posted somewhere at some time. You'd think Tesla itself would post it at some point.

Paging @mongo, why did lucid and Porsche go with a DC-DC converter for 400V to 800V DCFC rather than do what the CT does and just have some presumably smaller and cheaper contactors to handle 400V charging? I can only see downsides but no benefits for going the DC-DC route? Am I missing something?
I'm not Mongo, but my guess is the "best part is no part" and they thought reliability would be better with a DC-DC than having contactors to combine/split the pack. They may have also thought that it wouldn't matter as they expected almost all CCS charger to support 1000v. (Which I think is pretty much true in the US for >150kW chargers, other than Superchargers with MagicDock.)

GM went the opposite direction, with two 400v packs in parallel for normal operation, and they re-wire to series only for charging. I've heard one of the problems with that is keeping the two halves in balance since the AC is only 400v, so they have to switch it between halves while charging. (At least I thought I heard that is what they do.)

22 4680s seems like it would physically package up in about the same size of a truck lead acid battery.
Yeah, but why package it separately? All power comes from the pack. With LV integrated, all the power and pyro fuses can colocate.
Only reason I could think of is physical redundancy in a crash, but that is so edge a case it doesn't make sense to do. Keep alive for hazards could be done via current limited safety power bus versus full power one.

Jason Cammisa on his podcast said he had to sign an NDA to see that document, which he said was entitled "How to engineer a 48V vehicle". But if Tesla really sent it out to the other OEMs, and suppliers, obviously they didn't sign NDAs, so we should see it posted somewhere at some time. You'd think Tesla itself would post it at some point.

Yeah, I thought that was weird also.

Paging @mongo, why did lucid and Porsche go with a DC-DC converter for 400V to 800V DCFC rather than do what the CT does and just have some presumably smaller and cheaper contactors to handle 400V charging? I can only see downsides but no benefits for going the DC-DC route? Am I missing something?

They need a pack design where there is access to midpoint along with additional contactors and a charge port+wires that can handle the higher current. That all adds cost, volume and mass.
The two halves also need to stay well balanced to each other (which they should already be).

Reactions: jebinc
And here is what the series/parallel switch looks like in the Cybertruck:

1701554722911.png

Yeah, but why package it separately? All power comes from the pack. With LV integrated, all the power and pyro fuses can colocate.
Only reason I could think of is physical redundancy in a crash, but that is so edge a case it doesn't make sense to do. Keep alive for hazards could be done via current limited safety power bus versus full power one.
Well, Tesla currently packages the LV battery separately, even routing cooling into it and everything. As to why, probably historical? IF Tesla's LV lithium ion battery can be as reliable as the pack (and they are testing that idea out in current cars), then there's no reason not to integrate it since replaceability would be the major reason. We don't know if the CT's LV battery is separate or not, right?

They need a pack design where there is access to midpoint along with additional contactors and a charge port+wires that can handle the higher current. That all adds cost, volume and mass.
The two halves also need to stay well balanced to each other (which they should already be).

So the answer is that they just didn't do the hard work of designing their pack to allow for it? The DC-DC converter also adds cost, volume and mass and it sucks in comparison.

Last edited: