Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Initial Problems with the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model X's are starting to roll out (still waiting for mine). I have read about some early problems with FWD sensors, the drivers door not closing, paint drips, middle second row seat not working etc.
Could you please post any initial problems with the X so that we can see if there are common problems and your experience with Tesla fixes.

Model X's are starting to roll out (still waiting for mine). I have read about some early problems with FWD sensors, the drivers door not closing, paint drips, middle second row seat not working etc.
Could you please post any initial problems with the X so that we can see if there are common problems and your experience with Tesla fixes.

lets not, it's too early days right now and anything that comes at this stage will not be statistically significant.

only thing it will do is give ammunition to those who want to distort the facts and paint Tesla in a bad light (certain journalists)

I think once Tesla has shipped about 5000 of them we can start talking about issues. The cars that people are receiving right now will have small hickups. That's just the way it goes. It was true for the Model S, it's true here.
The risk of something like this getting blown out of proportion and being misconstrued by interested parties into "early adopters hate Model X" or something outrageous like that... totally not worth it. And I could be wrong, but my guess is that Tesla will once again live up to their reputation for exceptional service and make sure that all the early adopters are well taken care of.

I was one actually looking for data points not swept under the rug to better understand when production had stabilized and improve the chances of getting a car with fewer issues. The standard answer always works; wait longer for less issues. I've learned with Model S that you never want one from the first month of a change (I'm thinking the most recent P85D). The X will be longer with all the changes but it would be nice to watch the issues shrink and identify those that will require more detailed engineering or supply management to address.

I can not argue with the fact that the above desires must be balanced against those that would use the info for clicks, shorting,,,,. I've just come to rely on TMC for the most un-biased info.

I am disappointed by the common feeling that we must somehow bury anything that could be an issue with the X for now. All it accomplishes is that websites who are clearly biased against Tesla will own the conversation on issues with the car. It will also give them fresh ammunition to paint information from this forum as 'selective' and 'biased'. And on top of that it's a disservice towards fellow owners to be who might have a similar issue but without being able to get accurate help and information.

Those who just wish to enjoy the car can simply ignore this thread until they are ready to take off the rose tinted glasses.

Reactions: Blip
It is important to let owners of early X to enjoy their car. They are not mere data points. Certainly, a new product that has so many unique innovative features is going to have problems in the early stages. In my opinion, we should let the owners and Tesla sort out the issues that they have discovered among themselves first rather than to start listing them here.

It is important to let owners of early X to enjoy their car.

And some of them are not enjoying the car as much as they had hoped.

If they are having problems, they can share them so that those individuals who have not yet configured and finalized their orders can be aware of any pending quality issues.

There are comments in closed Facebook groups that are not posted here. Prospective owners should be aware of them.

Isn't there a forum somewhere for verified owners? Maybe it was on the Tesla forums. If there is such a forum somewhere, that would be another option for where to have a thread like this. Then you might also have a chosen diplomat or council to decide what and how to share the content with the outside world. Might not help those looking to buy a Tesla for the first time if nothing is externally shared, but would work for Model S owners considering an X.

Normally I wouldn't suggest such controls, but I can understand given the war going on between EV supporters and EV haters.

Do you have specific links to the posts about such problems?

I have been following several of the Signature Series delivery threads, and early impressions appear favorable. The only early problem I've seen is some kind of mechanical failure on MaxK's Model X that caused it to only drive at low speeds, and Tesla already repaired the vehicle.

I agree that any consistency in the early issues will likely be lost in the noise. I don't, however, agree that people should be silenced if they want to share their issues voluntarily. That said, I don't think we need to solicit from them. If the MS forums are any indication, people will be very freely sharing issues once they're ready. :smile:

And some of them are not enjoying the car as much as they had hoped.

If they are having problems, they can share them so that those individuals who have not yet configured and finalized their orders can be aware of any pending quality issues.

There are comments in closed Facebook groups that are not posted here. Prospective owners should be aware of them.

No one is stopping a new owner from posting what they want to post. I belong to several of those closed Facebook groups and while you make it sound ominous, it isn't.

Again, people are free to post whatever they want. They don't need a database to do so. Right now numbers are so low, that reporting issues that way would not be statistically significant (if only two owners have reported and one has an issue, it's a bit disingenuous to then say'50% of new owners have this problem'). Everyone is just suggesting to wait until there are enough owners and history so that trends actually mean something.

It is very interesting to see a thread that has almost reached 20 posts without a single post of a problem from an X owner - just an argument by others over whether they SHOULD post here.

My guess is that issues WILL be posted regardless of what we might debate here. There will be 3 types in roughly these proportions: 40% EV/Tesla newbie issues (e.g., getting used to range, cold weather implications, nav, auto pilot, etc.), 30% already reported S complaints (nav accuracy issues, media player...) that are nonetheless new to some X owners, 20% "one off" issues that pertain to a single or small group of cars during shake-out, and 10% endemic issues that pertain to all Xs and will need to be addressed in further updates.